Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Lockdown Retro Gaming

MancWanderer

41 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Later on as more defected to ST/Amiga I (staying true to 8bit) would get dragged by mates to two shops on Chorley Old Road, one was called Bolton Computer Centre iirc, can't remember name of the other...

I very dimly recall going there for some pricey ST game that was terrible. Terrapods by Psygnosis if I'm not mistaken. 

As for the Megadrive/SNES question. I think emulators are your friend if you can navigate your way to some roms and do a bit of messing around. I know my modded first gen Xbox did a good job with the 8 and 16 bit stuff. The trick is to settle for Sonic and not delude yourself into trying to make it into a Gamecube.  

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, ProfessorWoland said:

I very dimly recall going there for some pricey ST game that was terrible. Terrapods by Psygnosis if I'm not mistaken. 

I didn't think Pygnosis did bad games, though never heard of Terrapods

generally, if you didn't play their games, you could watch them instead

4 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

SNES, certainly European SNES, didn't have SCART. If it had it would've saved a lot of pissing about switching the RF/CoAxial when one wanted the telly back on or vice-versa...Some SNES packages came with a dual female co-axial to single male switch box to address this - but unless you had a covuluted system with an extra co-axial cable (and wires everywhere) it still meant going around the back of the telly to switch the switch.

Going back twenty years there were decent PC emulators knocking about for SNES, Megadrive, ZX Spectrum etc.

I gave my SNES and all it's games to an ex's (big, and she was petite) little 'un...She used to hoard girly crap in one of those huge and tacky beds that open like a boot, but she'd chuck 'rubbish' away at the drop of a hat, so it probably got literally binned. 😕

the snes did have a scart cable, but you had to buy it seperately. copies of the cable can been purchased on ebay. you used to see them next to the extra pads in places like EB or whatever it were called . 

the other computer game shop on chorley old road were mason's leisure

the sneses are worth more than the megadrives on ebay . some of the it is frightening. 

the satellaview (the japanese internet gaming box for the snes) went the other week for £600.. think they turned it off in 2001. folk are trying to rip the old data from the save carts to get the exclusive games data as a lot of that were time limited and possibly the rarest stuff in the "library".. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellaview

and they were all losing their minds over that nintendo version of the combined protype of the Nintendo Super Nintendo Playstation (the white one) the other month . 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_NES_CD-ROM

i saw one picture of the Sony Prototype of it (which is black) but that might be fake , and i cant find it now. 

but a remnent of what i found was https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/playstation/images/5/51/EEFAADE3E.jpg

it were supposed to be an add on , but all "real" versions are all combined , mustve got pretty far along before they fell out.

Crazy. 

Edited by e2e4
typos

2 hours ago, ZicoKelly said:

I didn't think Pygnosis did bad games, though never heard of Terrapods

generally, if you didn't play their games, you could watch them instead

It looked great but was next to impossible. Or I was crap. Both probably. I didn't like it much anyway, doubtless it was better on the Amiga but they were out of my league. 

Had a look on my modded Xbox. Neogenesis was the Megadrive emulator I was using. Some of the games are still good.  Had a go of Sensible Soccer (Plett and Wroght scoring for England). Street Fighter 2 Turbo, Sonic 1 and Space Invaders, which made me wonder about being in 2020, playing games written in 1990, based on games written in 1980 and playing them on a different console made in 2002. 

4 hours ago, ProfessorWoland said:

As for the Megadrive/SNES question. I think emulators are your friend if you can navigate your way to some roms and do a bit of messing around. I know my modded first gen Xbox did a good job with the 8 and 16 bit stuff. The trick is to settle for Sonic and not delude yourself into trying to make it into a Gamecube.  

I think my mate bought the same game - I think I berated him as a homosexual as he spent his Friday night cider money on it - so I was glad when it turned out shite...Like Zico wrote they always looked great though.

Google "world of spectrum" for ZX emulators and ROMs - some games were amazing considering what the programmers were working with...others, fuck me, they were crap - unplayable in a lot of cases.

4 hours ago, Rudy’s Message said:

There used to be two game shops on daubhill one opposite that giant super mosque that sold hooky PlayStation game’s and one a bit further up which was legit 

That's when I called it quits with console gaming, the rise of Playstation - getting thrashed by m0nged mates at Tekken 2 etc. wasn't my idea of fun, a few years later when PS2 came out and loads of the original systems popped up in pawn shops for buttons I bought one and tried again - I was still shite. Last time I owned FIFA was the 2000 one on PC, I was the man on this - played my niece's (never looked) fiancee on the latest one and he whupped me mercilessly, there's only 13 years between us but a lifetime in game terms.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

I got whooped at Minecraft tumble battles with my 6 year old yesterday. Dogshit game but he loves it. I think he loved that he was beating me for once. 

I'm going to be getting him primed to ask santa for a PlayStation 5. 

Last played fifa in 2013 when he was born. I've not had 10 minutes uninterrupted peace since to get a game in! 

2 hours ago, e2e4 said:

the snes did have a scart cable, but you had to buy it seperately. copies of the cable can been purchased on ebay. you used to see them next to the extra pads in places like EB or whatever it were called . 

the other computer game shop on chorley old road were mason's leisure

the sneses are worth more than the megadrives on ebay...

I never noticed them at the time - if a peripheral or other bit or bat was around the cost of another game I'd plump for the game instead...

I thought it was Mason's but thought that might have been the name of the arcade too (on COr) - crossed wires, was thinking of Mason's in Bispham.

That SNES/games I gave would've definitely ended up in the bin so I'm giving looking up prices on Ebay a swerve.

I've been having the odd dabble on Tiger woods 2008 on the xbox.  If theres one thing to come out of the lockdown it'll be me finally going round under par.

I lost most of my 20s to Champ Manager and then FM.  Despite finding all the best formations and players off the web I wasnt much cop though, save for a 10 season spell with Newcastle once (3 × CL winners!) and winning the Euros with England.

I gave up trying to load that 01/02 one doing the rounds and I never grasped what Steam was all about, I just loaded the disk and went.  I bought our last laptop with the sole aim of playing FM again but it seemed harder than ever and I gave up.  I clearly don't know my onions.

24 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

That SNES/games I gave would've definitely ended up in the bin so I'm giving looking up prices on Ebay a swerve.

yeah. for the best. didnt always used to be like that. stuff could be cheap. 

think i picked up the snes cart only to the original 'gold' version of StreetFighter 2 for about £7. 

i already had the purple 'turbo' one. 

that were about 10 year back.... 

had a look coz of this thead saw an unopened boxed super nintendo £1200 as the dearest item . went "hmmm , ive got two used ones  " , "woah, a satellaview !"  then closed the tab. 

nice knowing , but not sure about anything.. keep me eye on it when threads like this turn up , but dont actually do owt with anything  . 

Wolfenstein were a DOS game even Quake and the original GTA were DOS games. 

some used to take some messing about to get started with config files and the like. iirc wolfenstein needed a frigging boot disk (for me anyway) before it loaded up. 

spend ages setting up stuff, play it for 15 minutes. go to school. 

its all learning , but jesus christ , thats some wasted time . 

"out of memory" fuck off. 

the music to games sticks in the memory more than the games to me. the coin noise of mario or sonic. 

the swooping eagles on phoenix (which basement jaxx sampled years later) 

the amiga cover of bomb the bass's megablast off xenon 2. 

the Streetfighter 2 music

its funny what you remember. 

totally holds up. 

the main character in adventure on the atari 2600 just being a white square used to make me laugh. 

dragons , castles , gates , bats , mazes  ,but,  you = white square

Atariadventure.png

summat like dragons lair were only about 3 years away. 

just reminds me that the aeroplane and space rocket are only about 60 years away from one another

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nordkurve

I had an Atari 800 and then went to Atari ST. Games I remember liking were Alternate Reality, M.U.L.E and Rescue on Fractulus. When I bought the Atari ST from a Computer shop in Leicester the guy couldn't understand why I wanted the St and not (I think) the STe which had a built in Hard Drive. The reason was you could get an external hard drive that could read and write to the protected sectors on the Floppy Disk, which basically meant you could rip the games.

Strangely, on the Atari 800 the one game that we couldn't rip was Alternate Reality. One of the lads at work mapped out the complete city on Graph Paper for that game, all the secret doors and shit. looking back I wonder why the fuck so many of us spent so much time playing that game.

• Members

I’ve decided to start collecting consoles. I’ve got a PS4 and will be getting a PS5 this year but I’m gonna work backwards

PS3

PS2

PS1

Gamecube

N64

Mega Drive 

My plan is to have a chill out entertainment room with tv speakers record collection to watch footie and films in but have the consoles around the TV In a unit. Maybe a darts board and a sex swing 

1 hour ago, Rudy’s Message said:

I’ve decided to start collecting consoles. I’ve got a PS4 and will be getting a PS5 this year but I’m gonna work backwards

PS3

PS2

PS1

Gamecube

N64

Mega Drive 

My plan is to have a chill out entertainment room with tv speakers record collection to watch footie and films in but have the consoles around the TV In a unit. Maybe a darts board and a sex swing 

I’m utterly addicted to my PS2 and Gran Turismo 4. Barely seen any telly for the last month or so

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Rudy’s Message said:

PS3

PS2

PS1

Gamecube

N64

Mega Drive 

I found once you go back into last century you start to realise you were wearing rose tinted specs 

Good at the time, but don't compare to anything this side of 2000 and it all gets a bit frustrating

• Members
3 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

I found once you go back into last century you start to realise you were wearing rose tinted specs 

Good at the time, but don't compare to anything this side of 2000 and it all gets a bit frustrating

I had a ps1 a couple of years ago and you’re right it looked shit, its more to complete the collection 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Rudy’s Message said:

I had a ps1 a couple of years ago and you’re right it looked shit, its more to complete the collection 

Even mario kart on the n64 is toss once you've played it on the wii and remember the n64 blowing us away at uni, but that was because we'd got used to a SNES

I'd love to get on an Amiga for a night though i know it'd just make me sad

When Call of Duty was big I bought an X Box 360 but was worse at that than I am at any footy games. Bought Forza Motorsport 4. Dunno if it’s me but that was a terrible game. Maybe it’s the controllers or the system but give my my PS2 any day. This GT4 is a bit dated and clunky but massively prefer it

32 minutes ago, Rudy’s Message said:

Gave my X Box to the grandson and bought him Sonic for that so the offer still stands mate if you want my Megadrive for nowt. Can’t guarantee that it will work but that R2D2 bloke on here said summat about newer cables for modern TV?

• Members
28 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

Gave my X Box to the grandson and bought him Sonic for that so the offer still stands mate if you want my Megadrive for nowt. Can’t guarantee that it will work but that R2D2 bloke on here said summat about newer cables for modern TV?

Yeah I’ll have it off you down the line mate