Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Next Manager

TroySwoosh

Next Manager Poll  

265 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, lofthouse said:

If Lowe is out of reach for us, there is not one name mentioned better than Simon greyson. He took Leeds , Huddersfield and Preston to the championship,also when he arrived saved Preston from certain relegation.  Went to Sunderland for 4 month !, Bradford and Blackpool for a few month ,all these clubs were in the shit . He is only 50 year old...in his prime as manager. 

No way thank you.

• Site Supporter

I'm still waiting to see why,  for voting differently ti someone else in a wish-list poll (which will have absolutely no bearing on who will actually get the job) is the intelligence measure. 

21 minutes ago, lofthouse said:

If Lowe is out of reach for us, there is not one name mentioned better than Simon greyson. He took Leeds , Huddersfield and Preston to the championship,also when he arrived saved Preston from certain relegation.  Went to Sunderland for 4 month !, Bradford and Blackpool for a few month ,all these clubs were in the shit . He is only 50 year old...in his prime as manager. 

did u watch Sunderland till i die on netflix? only a snapshot i grant you but he came across as a bit of a wet lettuce so its a no from me. not convinced by him at all

1 hour ago, DomRepWanderer said:

This from a Plymouth fan talking about FV.

Agree. I know someone in that consortium, and he is worth a lot of money. Far more than £45 Million 

They are worth more than Eddie was in led to believe.

35 minutes ago, snowball said:

did u watch Sunderland till i die on netflix? only a snapshot i grant you but he came across as a bit of a wet lettuce so its a no from me. not convinced by him at all

Agreed.  Zero charisma and I'd rather go for Coleman if we're looking at Sunderland failures.

No way is Lowe coming here.  He's dropped down a division before, to do it again would show a lack of ambition.  Something I'm told he's definitely not short of. At the very least if he consolidates Argyle's position in league 1 he'll get a move back up north soon enough at a higher level than we can offer him. 

John Sheridan was mentioned on Twitter today.  I'd forgotten about him.  He was linked last time iirc 

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

Agreed.  Zero charisma and I'd rather go for Coleman if we're looking at Sunderland failures.

No way is Lowe coming here.  He's dropped down a division before, to do it again would show a lack of ambition.  Something I'm told he's definitely not short of. At the very least if he consolidates Argyle's position in league 1 he'll get a move back up north soon enough at a higher level than we can offer him. 

John Sheridan was mentioned on Twitter today.  I'd forgotten about him.  He was linked last time iirc 

Depends upon what he views as ambition?

Doesn't necessarily follow, that a higher club than us, up north, will come calling for him soon neither.

One thing is for sure; if our lot fancy him as manager, they won't know if they don't ask.

1 hour ago, DomRepWanderer said:

And this is why I can't my head around some of our fans thinking they are potless, it's all guess work as to their finances.

Whether they run it as a business that has to be self sustainable is another question I suppose.

5 hours ago, Farnywhite said:

We won’t be getting  clough while he is one of the favourites for the brum job . Chris hughton should get it though best candidate by a mile . So it could be a case of waiting to see what’s left after Birmingham make there mind up . 

yesterday I was edging towards this guy from barrow but after thinking about how Hill struggled with the scrutiny he was put under with being used to life at Rochdale . As there been a manger from non league who as moved straight to a club a similar size to Bolton and made a success of it ? 

I dont see the "size" thing being an issue.  Whatever Hill's faults and mistakes, they were only the things Rochdale fans warned us about - the ramblings, the fall outs with players, the random team selections, playing players out of position.  We are Bolton not Barcelona, there's virtually no media scrutiny.  Chris Wilder went from non league (Halifax/Oxford) to a smallish club Northampton then a huge leap to Sheff U in terms of size.

28 minutes ago, tomski said:

Whether they run it as a business that has to be self sustainable is another question I suppose.

See I don't have a problem with them doing just that, we need to have sensible heads in the boardroom, I'm just hoping that they can sustain a promotion push next season, after that a gradual step towards the championship, and then if we're following Brentfords, a few seasons of improvement, that's all we all want I guess, and why this next appointment is probably the most important we have had in many a year.

2 hours ago, lofthouse said:

Failed in his last 3 jobs, if he failed with us it would just be another failure, it wouldnt be a surprise.  If we're talking experienced managers available, I'm at a loss when Adkins isnt top of everyone's list.  I'd be happy with going down the Lowe/Evatt route, but there's  only one experienced manager, of realistic targets, that stands out.

41 minutes ago, tomski said:

Presumably in the short term they dont have much of a choice coz of the embargo.  I'm still unclear if we are allowed to pay a fee for a manager, it doesnt make sense if we are, and presumably there's a wage cap for him too?

14 minutes ago, DomRepWanderer said:

See I don't have a problem with them doing just that, we need to have sensible heads in the boardroom, I'm just hoping that they can sustain a promotion push next season, after that a gradual step towards the championship, and then if we're following Brentfords, a few seasons of improvement, that's all we all want I guess, and why this next appointment is probably the most important we have had in many a year.

No disagreement from me. If caps are in place I’d imagine this swings massively in our favour. 

13 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Presumably in the short term they dont have much of a choice coz of the embargo.  I'm still unclear if we are allowed to pay a fee for a manager, it doesnt make sense if we are, and presumably there's a wage cap for him too?

Assume our embargo wage cap (£2k?) isn’t really much of an issue if the £1.5m salary cap comes in force in league 2 

£2k a week is £100k a year, most clubs have a 25 man squad 

Won’t be many in league 2 earning more than £2k a week if it comes in 

1 hour ago, birch-chorley said:

Assume our embargo wage cap (£2k?) isn’t really much of an issue if the £1.5m salary cap comes in force in league 2 

£2k a week is £100k a year, most clubs have a 25 man squad 

Won’t be many in league 2 earning more than £2k a week if it comes in 

The wage cap in League Two might be lower than it was in League One.