Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Oldham home

DomRepWanderer

35 minutes ago, ProfessorWoland said:

I think they're trying to play better football than they're capable of.

Got to agree with this. Sadly I’m not convinced it’s a case of the system coming together & learning about each other anymore but that we aren’t good enough to play this way at this level.

IE earns his crust with how he adapts. I’m fine with him keeping to his values but he definitely needs to show pragmatism now; we look at our best when we get out forward quickly... 

1 minute ago, Mantra said:

Evatt:

“It isn’t good enough from anybody. From one to 24 in the squad they need to own up fast.

“Too many of them are too comfortable, not pushing themselves, and just happy to be at Bolton Wanderers. They think they have made it because of what we have got around us.

“I don’t see passion, I don’t see drive, I don’t see commitment. I don’t see people wanting to run that extra five yards and what it takes to help your friends out on the pitch.

“I’m disgusted with that performance, to be honest, and that’s a strong word. I’m disgusted.”

Is he passing the buck, or is he being fair?

Well he’s not wrong but he has to show accountability too

The reaction has to be there now 

6 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Evatt:

“It isn’t good enough from anybody. From one to 24 in the squad they need to own up fast.

“Too many of them are too comfortable, not pushing themselves, and just happy to be at Bolton Wanderers. They think they have made it because of what we have got around us.

“I don’t see passion, I don’t see drive, I don’t see commitment. I don’t see people wanting to run that extra five yards and what it takes to help your friends out on the pitch.

“I’m disgusted with that performance, to be honest, and that’s a strong word. I’m disgusted.”

Is he passing the buck, or is he being fair?

He can't really go any further than that now can he? He's called every one of em out there.

2 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

Yeah, he also said

"that wasn’t a team of mine out there, that was gutless”

Get his point but he and Phoenix have specifically recruited this team from scratch. If he's signed these players for his system and it's not only unsuccessful but spectacularly failing, he needs to rethink how he can get the best out of them. How can he say they're "just happy to be at bolton and not pushing themselves" when they were harping on all preseason about singing the right characters as well as footballers, people that want to come and play for the club.

7 minutes ago, jules_darby said:

The point is the players he has signed are not good enough and never will be. No amount of coaching will change that essential truth.

1 minute ago, radcliffewhite1 said:

Had these kind of post match comments from hill it’s boring now

lets start seeing some fucking improvement 

That's another thing, how many times does a player or group of them have to hear that they are not up to standard week after week before they just stop listening.

Needs to look at himself Evatt and decide whether his ideas are really suited to all this. I get he is inexperienced, so should think back to his times as a player when his managers will have gone fuck this we need to do the basics.

13 minutes ago, Spider said:

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record, we are simply not in a position to take a chance on a young manager living out some Fifa21 Barcelona wankfest - not in our position and with what limited funds we have.

We are signing players that are incapable of suddenly being Messi, but might just be able to fit into a system more suited to clogging around League 2.

FV are great, and have my full backing, but I think this was an appointment by a naive outfit.

I think a fair few on here got ridiculed for wanting a gaffer like Nigel Clough in charge, our owners have taken a big gamble imo, I'm still fully behind Evatt, but he needs to sort this out sharpish!

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Moonguest said:

The point is the players he has signed are not good enough and never will be. No amount of coaching will change that essential truth.

This this fucking this

BUT

You can still keep it simple and in this division get dirty horrible results.

These lads must watch videos of Man City and Barcelona in training And wonder what the fuck is going on.

His words come across slightly differently on video than on text but still that worries me massively if he's blaming the mentality. Need fighters in this division.

Agree with what he says about players being in the comfort zone. Rarely seeing committed challenges and lung-busting sprints.

Goes across all areas of the team. Lack of aggression and intensity.

45 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Got a feeling Crawford might be one of those who became brilliant whilst out injured. Struggling to see what he brings at moment,cant even fall back on his set pieces.

sadly he wasnt wanted by Doncaster or in Scotchland. time for everyone even poor old johnny to see he fits in with our other cast offs and rejects.

We need a strong spine snd we haven't even got a strong toe at moment. Aiming for 3rd bottom at moment.  actually glad im not there to see it. dragging myself over during the latter days of Parky was bad enough.

5 minutes ago, burnden said:

Theres a thing I notice with Evatt, his words are always extreme one way or the other. This is a huge club, should be winning the league, we want targets on our back. Or, we're awful, these players always deflate me, we arent good enough 1 to 24.

Just rein it in a bit. He alone raised expectations to a huge degree pre season, now he alone needs to walk the walk.

• Members

After match thoughts of Ian Evatt “ I’m very disappointed with the start, Sharon the rest of the owners and the club have put a lot of faith in me, paid a lot of money to bring me here to the club with the belief of what I do and how I do things “

More from Ian Evatt “ It’s obviously been a difficult start, it’s going to take patience from them ( the owners) I believe I’ve got their backing I hope I’ve got their backing I’m sure I have because I will get it right, and I will “

IE is absolutely spot on.

Hes still got my full support and fwiw I’m confident that he will sort it.

some of u lot thought it was gonna be a cake walk this season.

So do some of our players it seems. 

i understand the fans frustration but this is a new team and it’s going to take time to get it right. How long? Can’t say at this stage but I think it’s gonna be a struggle this season, no shit Sherlock I hear you say.

the sooner IE calls them out and wakes them from their slumber, the better...

hes done that now so we need to see what the response is.

if it were me I’d get the fuckers in tomorrow morning for training, give em a drink then send them up to the mast and back.

then make them watch the game. Tell em it ain’t good enough.

then back up to the mast and back down again.

They should do this every week that we get beat! 

The penny will soon drop that if they want to survive in this league then they need to WORK! 

It ain’t rocket science, make em do it Evatt.

He talks well, is brutally honest and is clearly hurting.

He is correct, they are very weak mentally.

That’s mainly where games are won and lost, but that comes with confidence.

Barrow will be tough for obvious reasons & then we go to Cambridge who are top of the league.

It could get a whole lot worse & the unthinkable could be a possibility if Oldham really are one of the worst teams (according to the bookies anyway) in the league. 

They were miles better than us in all honesty.

4 minutes ago, Ruba Mustafa said:

IE is absolutely spot on.

Hes still got my full support and fwiw I’m confident that he will sort it.

some of u lot thought it was gonna be a cake walk this season.

So do some of our players it seems. 

i understand the fans frustration but this is a new team and it’s going to take time to get it right. How long? Can’t say at this stage but I think it’s gonna be a struggle this season, no shit Sherlock I hear you say.

the sooner IE calls them out and wakes them from their slumber, the better...

hes done that now so we need to see what the response is.

if it were me I’d get the fuckers in tomorrow morning for training, give em a drink then send them up to the mast and back.

then make them watch the game. Tell em it ain’t good enough.

then back up to the mast and back down again.

They should do this every week that we get beat! 

The penny will soon drop that if they want to survive in this league then they need to WORK! 

It ain’t rocket science, make em do it Evatt.

I mean, I get this and I'm far from wanting him out too. But he was in the paper this morning saying he thinks maybe he did raise expectations too much with what he said pre season.

They're not going to listen to him telling them they're shit every week, weve had this same post match comment about 4 times already this season and what effect has it had? 

Maybe these players arent good enough to implement his ideas. Fine. If that's the case it's on HIM to come up with ones they can work with and succeed under.

2 minutes ago, desperado said:

Worst result and consequently the worst feeling this season.

The middle 5 including the WBs were just not good enough. 

Yep, the defence was actually ok for the most part today. Unfortunately the experienced players we expected big things from are all off colour. Gnuhua looked to have something about him so I’d stick him in next time. Darcy deserves a go as well. 

I've been very positive so far but it's definitely getting to be a bit of a challenge.

My eldest messaged me about 15mins into the second half and said "Don’t even think we look that bad tbh" but he's at college and presumably taking a huge amount of drugs so his opinion can't be taken at face value.