Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Avonmouth explosion

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Spider said:

Grim

They’ve died in a massive Solid Waste tank. “Bio Solids” . 

In or on?

I heard someone saying they were on top of the tank.

Strangely I thought of something you'd said once about welders, and imagined someone with using such equipment igniting methane!

Whatever the cause, it is indeed grim.

Going to work to do your normal job and not coming home is awful.

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

In or on?

I heard someone saying they were on top of the tank.

Strangely I thought of something you'd said once about welders, and imagined someone with using such equipment igniting methane!

Whatever the cause, it is indeed grim.

Going to work to do your normal job and not coming home is awful.

That’s the worst bit. Just 4 lads doing a days graft. You should be making it home.

If they were welding near a methane tank something’s gone very wrong

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Spider said:

That’s the worst bit. Just 4 lads doing a days graft. You should be making it home.

If they were welding near a methane tank something’s gone very wrong

I'm not saying they were at all, it was just something that came into my mind.

Lads on a tank that goes boom, poor bastards.

There are some serious questions to be asked, how can a young person be killed working on a public utility site? It is bad enough guys have been killed but you have to put into place special procedures and risk assessments if you have a young person working on construction activities.

I work as a construction manager and when asked what I do I reply I build a good job on time without spending too much money AND without killing anybody. Not only do you need to put safety procedures into place you need eyes in the back of your head to make sure they are followed. The worst bit is at the end when there is that final bit of work that needs putting right and there's no scaffold or (maybe) someone says I can trim that in 5 minutes with my cordless disc cutter.

Probably, but the employer's construction manager has to carry out a specific risk assessment to take into account the young persons abilities, inexperience and lack of awareness of risk and put procedures in place to make certain they are followed. There are very few, if any, unavoidable accidents. That young lad was relying on the management to protect him and they have obviously failed.

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Dimron said:

Probably, but the employer's construction manager has to carry out a specific risk assessment to take into account the young persons abilities, inexperience and lack of awareness of risk and put procedures in place to make certain they are followed. There are very few, if any, unavoidable accidents. That young lad was relying on the management to protect him and they have obviously failed.

In that regard, they've failed them all.

Though perhaps a bit early for laying blame.