Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Meanwhile in Ukraine

Rudy

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Spider said:

Spanish boat sails metres from Spanish shore.

The Costas will be brimming with patriotic fervour over this. SPanish waiters getting pelters from giant english folk on mobility scooters singing Rule Britannia.

Oh a big bait thrown out!

Crimea is Russian too.

• Site Supporter
On 24/01/2022 at 07:47, gonzo said:

German U boats filled on Irish Shores.

Them thick spud fuckers would help em out.

Told you they wouldn’t 

Putins fucked now these lads have got involved 😁 few nets around his warships will put a stop to his games https://www.irishpost.com/news/russian-navy-exercises-cork-fiserhmen-228582-228582?fbclid=IwAR0Vfk22eO6g2kBaUKCoUOCLDusqKKsRAbXZKnlSq4ISY0Pm9M1Ymiey7Uk

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, fatolive said:

Told you they wouldn’t 

Putins fucked now these lads have got involved 😁 few nets around his warships will put a stop to his games https://www.irishpost.com/news/russian-navy-exercises-cork-fiserhmen-228582-228582?fbclid=IwAR0Vfk22eO6g2kBaUKCoUOCLDusqKKsRAbXZKnlSq4ISY0Pm9M1Ymiey7Uk

Remarkable that they can conduct such activities in someone else's waters.

Especially declaring an aircraft exclusion zone.

Not sure revealing their hand over the non existence of a marine exclusion zone is useful!

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Not sure revealing their hand over the non existence of a marine exclusion zone is useful!

Think it’s actually just outside Irelands territorial water someone said but close enough to cause a few ripples which is the aim no doubt 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, fatolive said:

Think it’s actually just outside Irelands territorial water someone said but close enough to cause a few ripples which is the aim no doubt 

No doubt.

Something a bit more going on for me- maybe connected with Ukraine situation. 

Watching the series last night; it seems there has been a lot of Russian naval activity around Ireland recently.

Reading elsewhere earlier about America turning over command of a naval battle group to NATO, and they're bound for the med. Together with a Norwegian vessel.

Additionally there are a number of naval craft from a range of European countries that happen to also be in the med on exercises. 

We've already got stuff out there too.

Much more building up than we are perhaps fully aware of.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

No doubt.

Something a bit more going on for me- maybe connected with Ukraine situation. 

Watching the series last night; it seems there has been a lot of Russian naval activity around Ireland recently.

Reading elsewhere earlier about America turning over command of a naval battle group to NATO, and they're bound for the med. Together with a Norwegian vessel.

Additionally there are a number of naval craft from a range of European countries that happen to also be in the med on exercises. 

We've already got stuff out there too.

Much more building up than we are perhaps fully aware of.

Exactly. We think nothing of it .If we were Russians and the news reported major nato countries massing on our borders or within striking range etc and then heard it’s just exercises we wouldn’t believe us either. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, fatolive said:

Exactly. We think nothing of it .If we were Russians and the news reported major nato countries massing on our borders or within striking range etc and then heard it’s just exercises we wouldn’t believe us either. 

Suppose it depends on why the west are going it.

In response to increased Russian activity in the area- they've been  "at war" in Ukraine for some time in reality, or something else generally. 

Given the lack of unity within the NATO/EU/Europe over this, it would seem unrealistic to think the western powers were planning something of an offensive nature.

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Suppose it depends on why the west are going it.

In response to increased Russian activity in the area- they've been  "at war" in Ukraine for some time in reality, or something else generally. 

Given the lack of unity within the NATO/EU/Europe over this, it would seem unrealistic to think the western powers were planning something of an offensive nature.

Yeh i agree with that I don’t think so, i think for “ build up” read “ prepared in case”  but that’s my point , those in Russia will have the same mistrust in us as we do in them due to their news/ upbringing/ what their government say. 
they won’t believe we are not planning any offensive action just like we don’t believe they aren’t . 

Edited by fatolive
Spelling

• Site Supporter

I still think Putin is making his move. I suspect Covid has delayed it, but he’s running out of time and probably thinks Europe is at its weakest right now.

He may be wrong. Don’t think it’ll stop him.

Oligarchs don’t give a fuck, they can go anywhere they please so it won’t affect them.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Spider said:

I still think Putin is making his move. I suspect Covid has delayed it, but he’s running out of time and probably thinks Europe is at its weakest right now.

He may be wrong. Don’t think it’ll stop him.

Oligarchs don’t give a fuck, they can go anywhere they please so it won’t affect them.

Once governments start seizing Russian assets the oligarchs will think twice.

Discussions ongoing to stop Russian access to the Swiss banking system amongst other things.

Russian currency strength dropping, the economy not great and covid struggles still ongoing.

Putin isn't in the best position to start a fight neither.

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

London is awash with dirty Russian money. Fuck them all off back to Moscow.

So far, despite the various measures available, not too many have been sanctioned.

Be interesting to see if this number increases soon.

As was mentioned in parliament, its important to use measures that will affect those close to Putin. No point doing things to his enemies or those with little influence. 

1 hour ago, fatolive said:

Told you they wouldn’t 

:D

The should send in the IRA :)

I was listening to a Ukrainian diplomat on thr BBC tonight and he's convinced there's not going to be an invasion. Not yet anyway. 

He said as far as he's concerned the Russians have been sat like that for months and there's nothing new happening in the past week or two that hasn't been the case for a long time. 

He also reckons whilst there are troops there - they're not in battle formation and there's no infrastructure like field hospitals etc. 

Plus the Ukrainian armed forces are about 250,000 strong - and one of the biggest armies in Europe apparently. 

They'll probably invade as soon as I push 'submit reply' now.....! 😁

• Site Supporter

If its the ambassador, he's been doing the rounds for a few days now. Comes across really well.

One thing Putin would have to factor in, is the "fight until the death" attitude that the Ukrainian people would have. As opposed to the less spirited approach of the Russians- often young and a long way from home and perhaps little motivation for a conflict that may seem unnecessary. 

5 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I was listening to a Ukrainian diplomat on thr BBC tonight and he's convinced there's not going to be an invasion. Not yet anyway. 

He said as far as he's concerned the Russians have been sat like that for months and there's nothing new happening in the past week or two that hasn't been the case for a long time. 

He also reckons whilst there are troops there - they're not in battle formation and there's no infrastructure like field hospitals etc. 

Plus the Ukrainian armed forces are about 250,000 strong - and one of the biggest armies in Europe apparently. 

They'll probably invade as soon as I push 'submit reply' now.....! 😁

Or they're waiting for the new moon at the end of January when it will be at its darkest to launch an attack.

I've seen suggestions that they'll wait until after the Winter Olympics but I can't see the point of that and that would be a long time to keep forces sat about waiting to go.

As it stands though, no movement and the signals intelligence sites I follow because I'm a sad bastard show that the military radio waves are currently quiet. We wait.

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I posted an article earlier in the thread saying they're not only doing naval and live fire exercises off Ireland (I say off, it's over 150 miles away) but also in the Mediterranean and in the Pacific.

It's sabre rattling of the highest order. Russias navy has been ridiculed for years (think the Russian aircraft carrier that came through the North Sea giving it large, but was belching black smoke like it was from WWII and later broke down) Its saying "look at our navy. Now we can not only deploy but we can deploy to 3 different areas and operate."

The ramping up of bombers testing our airspace is another show of force, "we can send bombers almost daily, we are here." 

It's all part of Putin's plan to show he's brought Russia back to the big time, that they're major global players again.

• Site Supporter

Many Russian ladies are fit as fuck though.

Last time I was in Sharm (which seems like a lifetime ago now, probably 6/7 years) the hotel was full of Russians. The blokes were all 6'2" plus and looked utterly miserable fuckers. The russian women were mainly beautiful but acted oddly. Neither had any manners at all.

• Site Supporter
46 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Or they're waiting for the new moon at the end of January when it will be at its darkest to launch an attack.

I've seen suggestions that they'll wait until after the Winter Olympics but I can't see the point of that and that would be a long time to keep forces sat about waiting to go.

As it stands though, no movement and the signals intelligence sites I follow because I'm a sad bastard show that the military radio waves are currently quiet. We wait.

Will they not just have a massive WhatsApp group nowadays rather than massive CB radios?