Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

retro drinks

victor meldrew

used to have a babycham warehouse near where we played when kids, at the back of a railway line. Workers used to leave crates of stuff hanging around outside the fencing which stopped the local scrotes breaking in and nicking the stuff. I remember going to school discos with a mix of cherry b, pony and babycham in a jubly packet. Was a great bird puller when you 14.

Can you still get Toby light? 

17 hours ago, leigh white said:

The S Yorkshire Stones Bitter is making a comeback, fuck me, when it started getting brewed at Runcorn. It caused the worst headache known to man.

Stones !!

1 sniff of the barmaids apron was guaranteed to give you a 2day headache.

Greenhalls Bitter - ok

Burtonwood - grim

Oldham Ales - so so

Bacardi n coke - mainly in the South of France. Did a Del Boy , but into the cellar.

Oranjeboom - Amsterdam Bar Horwich and The Vulcan

8 minutes ago, Offshore said:

some tramp threw an empty tin of oranjeboom in my front garden the other week. Didn't know it still existed, unless it was best before sep 1979. I didn't check

I bought a few tins of this last week, 5% stuff and it was decent.  There was also a stronger option, around 8% I think.  

Oh, and JFTR, I didn't chuck my empties into your garden :)

Edited by DazBob

• Members
2 hours ago, Francis Fogarty said:

Come on now. There's a time and a place for Guinness. And the place is Jim Doyles bar in Bray. And the time, well he said to me one time, we don't open til 12 but you can have a pint while you're waiting.

Lovely part of the world 

• Members
11 minutes ago, Blondi said:

Maybe just persevere with it, I've dumped gassy lager for it, plenty of health benefits too.

It’s perfect it really is, when you get a good pint no bubbles in the cream on top, right temp there’s no better pint, I don’t mind paying more for a good drop of it, better than paying top dollar for a shit pint of lager 

2 hours ago, Rudy said:

It’s perfect it really is, when you get a good pint no bubbles in the cream on top, right temp there’s no better pint, I don’t mind paying more for a good drop of it, better than paying top dollar for a shit pint of lager 

He's right.

My late old man should've had shares in Guinness - he must've supped well into a six figure total in pints in his sixty-odd year drinking 'career'.

In my ongoing project to turn into him, aside from foibles like having three pisses before bed, Guinness has pretty much got exclusive rights to the McAnespie liver these days.

But a big mention for McEwans Export Ale...

Delicious stuff at a decent price.

£4.25 for 4x500ml at Morrison's - or £3.83 with NHS Discount.

Becks should be ashamed of themselves - they move brewing here for UK sold stuff, they reduce to 5%, then 4.8% and now 4%..?

Stick it up your arses.

Edited by Youri McAnespie