Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

DIY projects

Trades are going through the supply and demand cycle with loads of people spending their covid savings on house.

We're losing experienced industrial inspection and test qualified sparks back to house bashing as they can clear £500 a day .

Trying to get a decent tiler to do bathroom for less than 250 a day cash is nigh on impossible. 

Where are those pesky Poles when you need one?

I've got almost £1m of window work to carry out on schools (green energy stuff) but all the window fitters are flat out on domestic stuff, People are still spending their covid savings and holiday money on their houses.

Agree regarding the labour-only comments, getting the material is the easy bit and unless you really know whet you're about it'll be wrong/incomplete/cheap shite

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Weird this, generally speaking I don’t add on anything for materials. Maybe a delivery fee if I'm going about collecting stuff. 

Will change with the clean air tax.

How much will you charge for clean air?

• Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Weird this, generally speaking I don’t add on anything for materials. Maybe a delivery fee if I'm going about collecting stuff. 

Heating installers rely on the margin they make on kit.

1 hour ago, Dimron said:

I've got almost £1m of window work to carry out on schools (green energy stuff) but all the window fitters are flat out on domestic stuff, People are still spending their covid savings and holiday money on their houses.

Agree regarding the labour-only comments, getting the material is the easy bit and unless you really know whet you're about it'll be wrong/incomplete/cheap shite

Why would it be if you get it from the same place as the tradesmen

5 hours ago, green genie said:

Trades are going through the supply and demand cycle with loads of people spending their covid savings on house.

We're losing experienced industrial inspection and test qualified sparks back to house bashing as they can clear £500 a day .

Trying to get a decent tiler to do bathroom for less than 250 a day cash is nigh on impossible. 

Mate of mine it a tiler, he's currently charging £400 per day, and he's rammed with work - pre-Covid, he was only charging about £300 per day, so he's loving it at the minute

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

As a contractor I'm used to Labour Plant & Materials then a Overhead & Profit on top of total cost.

You have the risk of under-estimating your material but then you can also make cost savings on material rates and quantities. Higher Risk and Higher Profits tend to go together. 

9 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Mate of mine it a tiler, he's currently charging £400 per day, and he's rammed with work - pre-Covid, he was only charging about £300 per day, so he's loving it at the minute

I like tiling, once set out all you have to do is keep putting one on top of the other!

I keep thinking of jacking in the main contractor work and becoming a village builder, I get loads of people asking me for advice and if I know a plasterer, plumber etc. when walking the dog. I've got my own mixer and wacker plate so I'm almost there! 

Trouble is most home owners are totally insane and don't understand builders so I stick to the commercial stuff.

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, green genie said:

Is this supply & demand cycle the bit where they increase prices because they’re greedy bastards?

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, MickyD said:

Is this supply & demand cycle the bit where they increase prices because they’re greedy bastards?

Yep.

Prices are going to creep up in all sorts of trades.

But post-Brexit wages are due to fly so it’ll all level out. Especially once we’ve all had our TVR’s delivered.

4 hours ago, MickyD said:

No

Because when the country is skint and there's no work or money a brickie will work for £200 per thousand. When its all booming the rate is £700 but we all know it won't last.

Building is all boom and bust, nothing about being greedy bastards

15 minutes ago, green genie said:

Greedy cash in hand tax dodging first in line for the covid hand outs bastards to be accurate. 

So why is it so important to keep construction going through the pandemic?

Because we pay our taxes

8 minutes ago, Dimron said:

Construction is an investment industry

No investment, No construction

We are major employers and contribute massively towards the economy.

Which is it? The above or you as construction workers pay your taxes? 

and thanks for the lesson as well.  Next time your in Manchester let me know and I will highlight the mass developments I provided the funding for in my old job 😎

Edited by Escobarp

Oh and I’m shit at diy and tradesmen are in the main robbing cunts. A good honest one is worth his weight on gold 

we were lucky and used some great ones who had done the extension at the in laws  Great job and worth the money for sure