Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Anne Boleyn on Channel 5

Spider

1 hour ago, boltondiver said:

Does it matter, as long as they can act?

I actually think it does matter. Not just because it's a glaring historical inaccuracy, when I assume the programme makers have gone to great lengths to make everything else historically accurate; it's also because we all suspect where the motivation for doing this has come from - a kind of weird white middle class guilt complex that thinks garbage tokenism like this is a step to redressing a societal imbalance and years of discrimination. It's totally misguided, and I think it actually insults both the audience and the actor.

If it's just about the talent of the actor or actress do you honestly think a white actor would currently be cast to play an historically prominent person of colour like MLK, Muhammad Ali etc? The answer is no because that would be as patently daft as having a black actress play Anne Boleyn

1 minute ago, Burnden Pies said:

I actually think it does matter. Not just because it's a glaring historical inaccuracy, when I assume the programme makers have gone to great lengths to make everything else historically accurate; it's also because we all suspect where the motivation for doing this has come from - a kind of weird white middle class guilt complex that thinks garbage tokenism like this is a step to redressing a societal imbalance and years of discrimination. It's totally misguided, and I think it actually insults both the audience and the actor.

If it's just about the talent of the actor or actress do you honestly think a white actor would currently be cast to play an historically prominent person of colour like MLK, Muhammad Ali etc? The answer is no because that would be as patently daft as having a black actress play Anne Boleyn

Sense prevails finally 

• Members
1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

I’ve just put my hat in the ring for playing Sasha Johnson when the low budget film about her is inevitably made. 

I’m going for the lead in a Tommeh Robinson biopic role 

like this 

ElatedCoordinatedArmyant-size_restricted

Just now, Rudy said:

I’m going for the lead in a Tommeh Robinson biopic role 

like this 

ElatedCoordinatedArmyant-size_restricted

Absolutely nothing wrong with that and NOBODY would think it was strange either. It’s the new norm, apparently.  

@Spiderwould make a cracking Martin Luther king I reckon 

22 minutes ago, Burnden Pies said:

Who said dramas had to be historically accurate? Pretty sure William Wallace wasn't from Australia.

Marine Peake's Hamlet was fantastic. 

Where do you draw the line? Do you not agree with updating or re setting other texts?

It's there to be explored.

15 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Who said dramas had to be historically accurate? Pretty sure William Wallace wasn't from Australia.

Where do you draw the line? Do you not agree with updating or re setting other texts?

I know, I know, I just don't get it. To be consistent then they should mix up the entire cast and instead of trying to replicate Hampton Court they should film it in The Griffin 

• Moderators
53 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I don't recall Braveheart wearing a cork hat?

all just seems like trying to hard to be right on for the sake of being right on but whatever

I can't even claim I won't be watching it now, because I wouldn't have anyway

I've done my long post of this, can't be arse repeating myself on it, it is an issue that has been debated for years. My views on it are the widening of access to everyone to portray whoever they want is interesting and keeps things moving. Drama, art or whatever isn't a historical artefact its by adaption things have moved on. I also agree with the points made that colourblind casting can just be another way of only having one section of society's stories being told under the guise of inclusion but each reading done by a different person brings something new to it.

And yes, having the griffin as Hampton Court would be interesting actually. Henry VIII as a despotic landlord or gangland boss wanting to pass on his business. The story can be reinterpreted quite easily. People loved SoA on here, and that was just bloody Hamlet with motorbikes almost beat for beat.