Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Scummy food that hits the spot

bolton_blondie

4 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I still occasionally buy those little jars of beef, salmon, chicken, tuna etc. paste - stick it on white finger roll halves open with butter underneath and salt, pepper and vinegar.

This

4 hours ago, DazBob said:

Nowt wrong with corned beef!

This. With cucumber and salad cream on white bread or youri’s finger rolls

Those jarred german hotdogs, mustard, ketchup on white finger rolls, but with onions cooked in butter - excellent.

This again. Youri’s white finger rolls are essential. Yes, I’m worried about my obsession with youri’s fingering

4 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:I can eat a 30p jar of Asda or Morrisons Silverskin Onions in a couple of sittings on their own.

Sliced on cream crackers with butter and Stilton - even better.

Again, youri is bob on

34 minutes ago, athywhite1958 said:

I found 2 small frozen cheese and tomato pizzas in the freezer this morning, defrosted them, cut a slice of ham up and 2 pineapple rings that were left from the gammon tea last night, garnished the pizza's with them and cooked them, plus 2 slices of garlic bread made it a very good dinner today

No. Just no. Fruit and savoury. No

@Spider

And despite me pulling his leg earlier, because of his job and rarified circles he moves in, Crawley's probably had more swanky hot dinners (and cold buffets) than you've had erm...hot dinners.

Yet he eats Pot Noodle on bread.

But some Thom Yorke favvering bloke who's Head Chef at a Toby Carvery grilled you a lamb chop once, and you went on an afternoon course that taught you how to mix gravy granules and make Bird's Custard.

🧐

Edited by Youri McAnespie

Corned Beef and onion butties on white bread are a thing of beauty.

As are tangy Lanky cheese and piccalli on white butties.

I concur, the former is a very underrated butty, not had piccallily for yonks, but cheese and Branston on white bread makes a nice sandwich.

Still love a decent meat& potato pie, but  the pikeyist thing i love is a fried egg butty on white bread with brown sauce & white pepper

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

@Spider

And despite me pulling his leg earlier, because of his job and rarified circles he moves in, Crawley's probably had more swanky hot dinners (and cold buffets) than you've had erm...hot dinners.

Yet he eats Pot Noodle on bread.

But some Thom Yorke favvering bloke who's Head Chef at a Toby Carvery grilled you a lamb chop once, and you went on an afternoon course that taught you how to mix gravy granules and make Bird's Custard.

🧐

My Italian training came courtesy of the proprietor of Trattoria la Baracchina di Ciattini Simone in Tuscany, unlike you and your lessons gained on a lonely day at Risley Remand Centre.

You’d spend a long time driving around the cradle of civilised eating before you happened upon someone eating dehydrated carbs on heavily processed bread.

• Members
8 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

This

This. With cucumber and salad cream on white bread or youri’s finger rolls

This again. Youri’s white finger rolls are essential. Yes, I’m worried about my obsession with youri’s fingering

Again, youri is bob on

I love pineapple on pizza

4 minutes ago, MancWanderer said:

I used to be of that way of thinking - but fruit with spice is a revelation.

Ham and Pineapple pizza but smothered in hot chilli sauce...

There's a Thai salad with flaked fish and papaya and mango (and other stuff) - spiced up liberally with chillies, it's delicious.

Don't mind fruit infused cheese either.

Fruit and savoury was a travesty first 35 years of my life.

Still can't warm to cranberry sauce on a roast/Christmas dinner though.

It gets discreetly scraped into a napkin if eating elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I concur, the former is a very underrated butty, not had piccallily for yonks, but cheese and Branston on white bread makes a nice sandwich.

Still love a decent meat& potato pie, but  the pikeyist thing i love is a fried egg butty on white bread with brown sauce & white pepper

They've fucked around with the Branston recipe imo.

My skinflint mum used to get Pan Yan Pickle when we were kids, it was about 10p cheaper.

That was way too sweet, think it had apple in.

I'd sulk and refuse to eat it.

The factory burned down (Pan Yan) and the recipes went up in smoke.

Presumably the one for their, inferior to Norco, Picallili an' all.

Chris Evans put a shout out for anyone will an old jar of Pan Yan to try and recreate it.

The tramp.

Anyhow, somebody had a old jar in their workshop with nuts and bolts etc. in and sent it to peasant Evans so he could relive his impoverished childhood eating inferior sandwich pickle.

2 minutes ago, Spider said:

Pineapple exists only for pizza purposes.

Its one of few things Italians get wrongly upset about.

Fresh Pineapple on its own is one of the finest fruits.

They're ready to eat when one can easily pluck one of the green crown sprouts out, if you have to tug it it's unripe.

12 minutes ago, Spider said:

My Italian training came courtesy of the proprietor of Trattoria la Baracchina di Ciattini Simone in Tuscany, unlike you and your lessons gained on a lonely day at Risley Remand Centre.

You’d spend a long time driving around the cradle of civilised eating before you happened upon someone eating dehydrated carbs on heavily processed bread.

Risley is a women's unit...

I've had Italian relatives by marriage since I was 6.

I could do the dubious 'skills' you learned on a PAID FOR afternoon crash course, such as making gnocchi (which you pronounce 'notchee') or pesto when I was eight...

They weren't only genuine Italians they were fifth generation involved in the food industry...

And my training was done at HMP Slade, during a spell inside for fraud.

Made some good mates there, some camp fat bloke, a black scotsman with a strong Glaswegian accent and my cellmate, Fletch...

I used to work for a wholesaler, in real life, you name it they sold it - they supplied everyone from Michelin starred gaffs to prisons and everything inbetween.

The prisons got the shittiest class four crap, at their own request, because they'd pay in buttons.

To make stuff edible prison chef's skills aren't to be sniffed at.

Cheffing is one of the jobs they don't mind if you've done a bit of bird (violence aside).

• Members
1 minute ago, Biggish Dave said:

Corned beef and beetroot butties are quality.

I also love sausage and carrot & potato mash with melted cheese on a butty. Don’t really eat much other peasant food

Beetroot was one of my pregnancy cravings. Could eat a full jar then think I have bladder cancer cos of the bright red wee. 

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, bolton_blondie said:

Beetroot was one of my pregnancy cravings. Could eat a full jar then think I have bladder cancer cos of the bright red wee. 

Waitrose do beetroot soaked in horse radish

Amazing

5 minutes ago, little whitt said:

reading this lot 

you lot live with mum and dad or Students 

no one eats most of that crap

Incorrect.

Some of the finest chefs eat utter shite...

Do you start painting and decorating when you get home late? My old man didn't - he ate his tea, had a wash and got stuck into the Guinness.

And I've known students who've pulled all the stops out.

The thinking being if the ovens going on for an hour or so - why cook a load of processed crap?

Get a chicken in and all the roast dinner trimmings instead.

My mate shared a house and they all chipped in to eat like Kings.

Apart from one, who'd stick the oven on to cook shitty ready meals much to the other's disdain.

He also refused to chip in to the gas bill as he had an electric blankey - so they cut the lead off.

In true student fashion they made a chores rota, same knobhead refused to do the 'clean the bathroom' task when it was his turn, so they put cleaning products in, bundled him in, then took the bar out of the handle, locking him in.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Home Bargains do vac-packed 100% natural stuff...

35p.

I wouldn't go in Waitrose on principle alone, but I might try and rustle some up myself - stick it on some silverside on a baguette...

Why not? 

It just happens to be closest to my house 

But I spend more time in co op 

Even went in Morrisons yesterday 

I don't go to home bargains out of principle, but that's because i can walk to Waitrose and HB means 15 mins in cross town traffic

1 minute ago, Zico said:

Why not? 

It just happens to be closest to my house 

But I spend more time in co op 

Even went in Morrisons yesterday 

I don't go to home bargains out of principle, but that's because i can walk to Waitrose and HB means 15 mins in cross town traffic

They banned tramps from the free coffee perk...

Like their money isn't green.

I try and avoid M&S too, because it's full of cantankerous coffin dodgers who think they've earned the right to be rude as fuck to everyone.

I'm not a reverse snob though - I'll happily go in Booths.

• Site Supporter
Just now, Youri McAnespie said:

They banned tramps from the free coffee perk...

Like their money isn't green.

I try and avoid M&S too, because it's full of cantankerous coffin dodgers who think they've earned the right to be rude as fuck to everyone.

I'm not a reverse snob though - I'll happily go in Booths.

Booths is brilliant and if you have an eye for the right gear you don’t need to spend a fortune like you do at M&S.

The beer selection at Booths is as good as you’ll get