Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Scummy food that hits the spot

bolton_blondie

The old lady next door in the 70’s  used to make something she called flat bread 

I think was sweet shortcrust pastry rolled to about an inch thick with Sultanas and currants

we used to eat it hot with lashings of best butter

she also used to make some cheese creation

loads of melted cheese with onions and tomatoes

then just dip your bread in it

oh god , now I’m hungry

@Spider

I got one of those 'romantic' meal deals for two from M&S once...

The wine? Christ, it was like Nitromors. I'm sure the 'producer' area was simply 'EU'.

They have the best booze selection at Booths.

And had some belting luxury Whoopsies from there on a Friday night...

Even regular shopping isn't that dear.

Great deli counters an' all...

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Spider said:

Booths is brilliant and if you have an eye for the right gear you don’t need to spend a fortune like you do at M&S.

The beer selection at Booths is as good as you’ll get

M&S food halls tend to have decent beer at decent prices 

But 

The barcodes never seem to scan for some reason 

Happened in more than one 

Have to watch some doddery old puffin key in barcode numbers for 10 mins 

• Site Supporter

Fucking pot noodles, supernoodles and their wank supermarket varients should be thrown in Rudy's volcano, they are that offensive to humanity.

Try the world section for some decent spicy noodles, although for some reason (cough cough brexit) we are really low on stock.

Best poverty food is Bovril on toast, far superior to marmite and great as a base for a good wedge of grilled cheddar if your giro stretches that far.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

@Spider

I got one of those 'romantic' meal deals for two from M&S once...

The wine? Christ, it was like Nitromors. I'm sure the 'producer' area was simply 'EU'.

They have the best booze selection at Booths.

And had some belting luxury Whoopsies from there on a Friday night...

Even regular shopping isn't that dear.

Great deli counters an' all...

Regular shopping at booths would fucking bankrupt me. Love going in for bits but cheap they are not.

Cauliflower ( if you can find one)

2 Clove garlic

2 tblspn lemon juice 

2 tblspn olive oil

pinch salt & pepper 

cut cauli to florets

mix with lemon, oil & garlic

use the leaves as well

bake 200 for 30/40 mins till browned

beautiful

cheap as chips

17 hours ago, Zico said:

M&S food halls tend to have decent beer at decent prices 

But 

The barcodes never seem to scan for some reason 

Happened in more than one 

Have to watch some doddery old puffin key in barcode numbers for 10 mins 

Buy a 330ml of pop, take it home and drink it, then cut the barcode out of the can with a stanley, get an adult to help you at this point.

Flatten the excised tin out, an iron, a book and a towel works.

Scan it in and copy and paste it to fill an A4 size sheet.

Print off onto sticker paper and section them into individual-code stickers - then when in the shop remove the backing and stick however many you need on the trolley handle using only a small section of the sticker's corner.

Then go and select what ale you want, pretending to read the bumph on the can, like a connoisseur - but you're really sticking one of your barcodes over the real barcode.

Get sommat ambiguous like traditional lemonade or ginger beer to create your barcode.

Don't get sommat like Pepsi or Coke - too recognisable and obviously different to ale.

Sounds a faff, but £3+ cans for 60p, it's worth the initial hassle.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

10 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Fucking pot noodles, supernoodles and their wank supermarket varients should be thrown in Rudy's volcano, they are that offensive to humanity.

Try the world section for some decent spicy noodles, although for some reason (cough cough brexit) we are really low on stock.

Best poverty food is Bovril on toast, far superior to marmite and great as a base for a good wedge of grilled cheddar if your giro stretches that far.

Stir fried noodles with all the trimmings are often just Ramen...

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Buy a 330ml of pop, take it home and drink it, then cut the barcode out of the can with a stanley, get an adult to help you at this point.

Print off onto sticker paper a section them - then when in the shop remove the backing and stick however many you need on the trolley handle using only a smsll section of corner.

Then go and select what ale you want, pretending to read the bumph on the can, like a connoisseur - but you're really sticking one of your barcodes over the real barcode.

Get sommat ambiguous like traditional lemonade or ginger beer to create your barcode.

Don't get sommat like Pepsi or Coke - too recognisable and obviously different to ale.

This is, honestly, fucking genius.

6 minutes ago, Mona said:

Cauliflower ( if you can find one)

2 Clove garlic

2 tblspn lemon juice 

2 tblspn olive oil

pinch salt & pepper 

cut cauli to florets

mix with lemon, oil & garlic

use the leaves as well

bake 200 for 30/40 mins till browned

beautiful

cheap as chips

And keeps your other half nice and toasty in bed on cold winter nights as you expel more hot air than a fanheater...

I do like it, but along with parsnips (the worst offender) and chickpeas (unless skinned) they blow me up like The Hindenburg.

I’m ok

ive just bought a new washing machine

the expert that fitted it tells me the 2 and a half hour synthetic cycle is actually saving electricity and money

🙄

shame coz my 20 year old one took 40 minutes 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I didn't - Supernoodles are too glutinous for making fried noodles, they stick too easily, and are too dear as well.

We are on about scummy foods you plank, dried pot noodles, toasty toppers, pop tarts, etc.

Spider!,  Youri needs a reboot, he's go feral again.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, athywhite1958 said:

I found 2 small frozen cheese and tomato pizzas in the freezer this morning, defrosted them, cut a slice of ham up and 2 pineapple rings that were left from the gammon tea last night, garnished the pizza's with them and cooked them, plus 2 slices of garlic bread made it a very good dinner today

Warm pinefuckingapple?

Wiggins a strange place

24 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Print off onto sticker paper and section them into individual-code stickers - then when in the shop remove the backing and stick however many you need on the trolley handle using only a smsll section of corner.

You'd have to buy something that weighed exactly the same as the item you had taken the barcode off though, the self scan tills weigh as well.

9 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

We are on about scummy foods you plank, dried pot noodles, toasty toppers, pop tarts, etc.

Spider!,  Youri needs a reboot, he's go feral again.

I'm pointing out the inventive can use peasant ingredients to create sommat more refined...

I had some of those canned burgers in gravy a few years ago for the first time in about thirty years.

I think I had them with Smash, again eating it for the first time in thirty years...I couldn't be arsed peeling real potatoes with my metal knife, boiling them for twenty minutes, then smashing them all to pieces - like a primitive species.

I'd say they were disgusting and my palate had moved on - but I actually really enjoyed this meal.

It was for my Sunday tea an' all.

Should've got a Strawberry Angel Delight and some Dream Topping for my afters, but didn't think to.

3 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

You'd have to buy something that weighed exactly the same as the item you had taken the barcode off though, the self scan tills weigh as well.

A can of pop will be the same weight as a can of ale - 330g and the can weight.

Whoopsie barcodes aren't weight defined, as often stuff is whoopsie is because one or more things, say a yoghurt from a pack is missing.

However sticking a bottle of wine through with a barcode that brings up 'Reduced Bakery' and you're likely to get rumbled...

Just now, Winchester White said:

Youri you have just awoken a long lost memory, butterscotch angels delight! Fucking hell do they still make that!? Loved it at Nannas, it was the only afters she would make us as it was cheap and grandad also liked it.

They still make and sell it...

I eat anything, but butterscotch is one of the few things I just never took to.

They made some jet black jelly for our pudding at Primary School once and absolutely rammed it with butterscotch essence.

Turned me off it for good.

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

They still make and sell it...

I eat anything, but butterscotch is one of the few things I just never took to.

They made some jet black jelly for our pudding at Primary School once and absolutely rammed it with butterscotch essence.

Turned me off it for good.

I dread to think why and how a school jelly was created black.

There are reasons folk turn out the way they are. JSL.