Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Strawberry plants

• Members
1 hour ago, Traf said:

Living in a small village with shit transport links keeps the tramps out. Plus it's too fucking cold to live rough up here.

My mate lives in Oldham and he says you don’t get homeless or Johnny foreigners up the hill near him for this very reason

• Site Supporter
7 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

TMGJ - you're the man with green fingers. I've sown a wildflower medow ptach over the weekend (we have a very strange garden - all levels, with parts on a very steep incline)

So we've done away with lawns and wanted to create a large wildflower gardern ovelooking the upper decked area. Now, the question is we've put down a load of compost as the soil isn't great, scattered a lot of seeds, racked and watered (it also get really dry) so how often do I need to water and what's the best way to get them to take?

We also have a vertical wall with about 40 cells that we've planted in. It gets some sun but not a lot, we've had joy with snapdragons, herbs and we're trailing ivy. We'd like to add dome more colour - any thoughts?

1st question- what wild flower seeds have you sown?

Depending upon your choice, enriching the soil may be the worst thing to do. A lot of wild flowers thrive on poor soils- that's their niche and can compete against weeds better in shite soil.

The packet should tell you what you have, and preparation and care instructions. 

Usually they won't germinate until conditions are right, but keeping moist will help if there is little rain fall. Once germinated, then keeping an eye on water in perhaps more important- young plants don't have deep, developed roots so can dry out quickly.

Once established, they should look after themselves, but you may choose to water them in times of drought.

Depending upon the needs of the plants (annuals versus perennials, height etc) future fertilising probably won't be needed this year, but maybe helpful next year if they are perennial.

Potash containing feeds are good for flowers.

As for your wall, if herbs are doing well then there is a reasonable level of sunshine, so annual bedding plants (trailing) will give good colour. Also trailing alpine types are decent now and into Summer. The latter may give better drought tolerance. Maybe a mixture of these types for prolonged colour into late summer, even early autumn.

As for ivy, well bugger fuck twat, you may be onto a looser there. Blink and it will root itself all over the shop and you'll be having to dig/scrape it out. Can give a good background greenery, but keep it in check.

14 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

The only time i've done that was a massive willy woofter pub in London. Missed the flags and blacked out windows, was obviously for the bear and leather lovers

I was on a daytime solo pub crawl in Manchester when I was in my early twenties and I couldn't abide being with my then girlfriend (massive) who I was playing house with. I wandered inadvertently into the village and went in a bar, I couldn't quite put my finger on it at first, but it seemed 'different', then I realised the clientele and staff were all male. I went for a piss and didn't get bummed and returned to my pint and it wasn't laced with GHB. Since then I'm not arsed - if they serve ale, not arsed.

This post was brought in conjunction with the Gay and Lesbian Alliance

Edited by Youri McAnespie

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

1st question- what wild flower seeds have you sown?

Depending upon your choice, enriching the soil may be the worst thing to do. A lot of wild flowers thrive on poor soils- that's their niche and can compete against weeds better in shite soil.

The packet should tell you what you have, and preparation and care instructions. 

Usually they won't germinate until conditions are right, but keeping moist will help if there is little rain fall. Once germinated, then keeping an eye on water in perhaps more important- young plants don't have deep, developed roots so can dry out quickly.

Once established, they should look after themselves, but you may choose to water them in times of drought.

Depending upon the needs of the plants (annuals versus perennials, height etc) future fertilising probably won't be needed this year, but maybe helpful next year if they are perennial.

Potash containing feeds are good for flowers.

As for your wall, if herbs are doing well then there is a reasonable level of sunshine, so annual bedding plants (trailing) will give good colour. Also trailing alpine types are decent now and into Summer. The latter may give better drought tolerance. Maybe a mixture of these types for prolonged colour into late summer, even early autumn.

As for ivy, well bugger fuck twat, you may be onto a looser there. Blink and it will root itself all over the shop and you'll be having to dig/scrape it out. Can give a good background greenery, but keep it in check.

Thanks - its a mix of - one of those Butterfly and Bee pollinator mixes which vary apparently. The soil itself is still pretty poor qaulity, dry, sandy, stony - its just a level of compost, but I guess we'll have to see. I remeber a neighbour of ours when we lived in Royston, his front garden was an absolute tip and then one summer from the surrounding fields loads of wildflowers just roted themsleves off the breeze, looked amazing but he had done nothing.

Looking for some nice alpine plants, neighbours have done that, spent all last summer making a mix of soil so what we planted didn't just fall out due to the soil being dreadful. We've cut the ivy back and trained it and pulled out any new rooting, although its good to have it to take away the brutalist nature of the wall (think the Barbican)

8 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I was on a daytime solo pub crawl in Manchester when I was in my early twenties and I couldn't abide being with my then girlfriend (massive) who I was playing house with. I wandered inadvertently into the village and went in a bar, I couldn't quite put my finger on it at first, but it seemed 'different', then I realised the clientele and staff were all male. I went for a piss and didn't get bummed and returned to my pint and it wasn't laced with GHB. Since then I'm not arsed - if they serve ale, not arsed.

I think I wasn't really wanted, not the other way round, it was a particular crowd and I wasn't their type.

1 minute ago, Not in Crawley said:

I think I wasn't really wanted, not the other way round, it was a particular crowd and I wasn't their type.

I had a skinhead, went to the gym daily and inadvisably was wearing a Stone Island denim jacket, it went to the charity shop the next day...I didn't get a sniff the cheeky buggers.

• Site Supporter

Sounds like all is in order. Just keep and eye out for weeds, and pull them as soon as they appear, or they will rapidly take over, especially v the weaker plants.

The ones that are best suited to your soil will predominate, and you may have some annuals this year (if they're in the mix) which won't be there next. If this is the case, then don't be surprised if the display looks different. 

Strangely, a lot of our weeds are attractive, and are just wildflowers. Dandelions are loved by bumble bees etc, as are all sorts of flowers. They just tend to be highly effective at what they do- colonise new spaces, which gardeners generally don't want.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/07/25/weed-thriller-garden-weeds-takes-home-gold-royal-horticultural/

1 hour ago, Francis Fogarty said:

It was alreet, the Shuttle.See the source image

Was my local 'growing up', decent boozer in its day.

The photographer from the paper put those bin bags on the sign to create the image, egged on by local teenagers, who were robbing stuff outr of his car whilst he was on his stepladder.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Francis Fogarty said:

Strawberry plants will spread like fuck too.

They will, but in cells they should be fine. The runners are easy to snip off, if they look likely to land in a neighbouring cell. Ivy just locks itself onto any surface. Even leaves an impression on upvc. It's a bastard.

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, Youri McAnespie said:

You sound disappointed.

14 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

They will, but in cells they should be fine. The runners are easy to snip off, if they look likely to land in a neighbouring cell. Ivy just locks itself onto any surface. Even leaves an impression on upvc. It's a bastard.

Correct, it's causing me a real headache at the minute. We have some common land to the rear of our house, and some ivy started to creep over our fence last year, I've cut it back loads of times, but it's coming under the fence, over the fence and through the fence. There is fucking loads of the stuff behind my fence, so I need to get the fucker killed off

Is there an easy way to kill the fucker....that won't kill everything else around it?

• Members
1 minute ago, Sweep said:

Correct, it's causing me a real headache at the minute. We have some common land to the rear of our house, and some ivy started to creep over our fence last year, I've cut it back loads of times, but it's coming under the fence, over the fence and through the fence. There is fucking loads of the stuff behind my fence, so I need to get the fucker killed off

Is there an easy way to kill the fucker....that won't kill everything else around it?

Agent orange

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Sweep said:

No. But you can apply a weedkiller with a brush to the leaves, to avoid overspray onto other things.

17 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Yeah and if it is in another cell and looks ok, we leave itand trip it back to what we need.

The sweet peas and Honeysuckle are going like the clappers at the moment. 

On 06/04/2022 at 18:20, Not in Crawley said:

Not from me, doing storming business. But, if you want tickets to Wise Children's Wuthering Heights at the Lowry - I'm your man.

We went to the Palace for Beauty & the Beast last night.
As I said, not really my cup of tea, but the production itself was excellent.

Talk to me about Wuthering Heights : play or musical?

54 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Im hoping to get to George Orwells Animal Farm before it leaves Blackpool. Its been on since Feb.

You do realise it won’t be like those animal farm videos you send around…?

Edited by Jol_BWFC