Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

25 Years since the last game at Burnden

Cheese

• Members

One of the most surreal moments at full time. It was such a weird feeling knowing we’d never play there again. 

As I got older I understood the memories people just have had there 

My mates dad took me and him to the Reebok when it was close to completion and I couldn’t get over the enormity of it. Think he worked for Otis Or Schlindler. The lift company not the Nazi funder. So we had a good look around it. 

It was really weird walking away from Burnden that day and thinking that this would be the last time I would ever do that, the best way to describe it was that it was a very hollow feeling. Also realising that I would never stand with the brilliant people / have the amazing craic in Mannny Road North ever again. Loved that place so much

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Burnden Pies said:

And I can still smell the bogs!

Bogs at the Reebok have nearly caught up in terms of stench. All they're lacking is the 2 inch deep lake of piss.

The place that made me fall in love with football and this club. As a kid there was no better sight than seeing the floodlights appear walking across the iron bridge from the cattle market for a night game. Get a programme from the fella outside Churchills, look in the little club shop next to the turnstile & Sit on the fence of the MRN. I took it all in and loved every fucking minute of it. Went in the embankment for the last game and whilst it was novel I’ve always felt like I should’ve been in the MRN that one last time. 

ended up sneaking in with my mates a couple of weeks later through a whole in the corner of the burnden paddock. Diggers taking the pitch up, piles of wood and seats everywhere. Managed to get in the changing rooms and swiped whatever we could find. Training tops, socks, those white and red substitute cards and I managed to get the gold edition of the final programme. Was still in an envelope on the bench addressed to Chris Fairclough. Still got it somewhere 

17 minutes ago, Burnden Pies said:

It was really weird walking away from Burnden that day and thinking that this would be the last time I would ever do that, the best way to describe it was that it was a very hollow feeling. Also realising that I would never stand with the brilliant people / have the amazing craic in Mannny Road North ever again. Loved that place so much

The euphoria of getting promoted and moving to the new stadium on the run up to the last game deflected from the fact that we would never go back, after the match it dawned on me and the hollow feeling came all over me, one of the strangest football days ever, massive euphoria and then a big punch in the face and the realism hit that Burnden Park was over forever descended like a big black cloud.  

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

The euphoria of getting promoted and moving to the new stadium on the run up to the last game deflected from the fact that we would never go back, after the match it dawned on me and the hollow feeling came all over me, one of the strangest football days ever, massive euphoria and then a big punch in the face and the realism hit that Burnden Park was over forever descended like a big black cloud.  

I know what you mean, but for me the whole celebration of promotion and a big final win with a packed house made it a wonderful experience.

Pub crawl through Darcy beforehand with loads of likeminded folk made for a relaxed, happy atmosphere in the streets, then afterwards, folk milling about and having another celebratory drink.

Great day.

I'd done a reminiscing pub crawl along Bradshawgate

As we were around where The Trotters used to be a bus stopped & a dozen or so people got off. Two were late teens wearing Stretford shirts. There was a melee and their shirt removed and soon flying from nearby lamp-posts.

Even Neil would have supported that

2022 was when I'd been going to the Reebok longer than I went to Burnden. 

The last game was a brilliant, emotional night but lets be honest the place was an absolute shit hole by the time we left and any emotional attachments i had were soon forgotten.

• Site Supporter

I loved Burnden but agree with Duck Egg, it was a dump by the time we left.

I know we get misty eyed about the atmosphere for Wolves/Swindon etc but there were plenty of dire crowds and atmospheres too.

Had a day off work and went to Monteraze for a good sesh before that last game. I'd love just 1 more chance to walk through them turnstiles though and up to my seat in the Burnden stand.

Happy times

1 hour ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Hence my username!

I fancied one that’s impossible to forget.

I'll never forget tip toeing through piss in the bogs under Burden Paddock in those final couple of seasons. There was fungi on the walls which could have cured leprosy. Stank like a sewage farm.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

I loved Burnden but agree with Duck Egg, it was a dump by the time we left.

I know we get misty eyed about the atmosphere for Wolves/Swindon etc but there were plenty of dire crowds and atmospheres too.

Had a day off work and went to Monteraze for a good sesh before that last game. I'd love just 1 more chance to walk through them turnstiles though and up to my seat in the Burnden stand.

Happy times

Aye.

For many of us, they were times when we were quite young and we forget about some of the low crowds etc.

Far better stadium now- though could be updated in some ways- and we've moved on.

I grew up as the only Bolton fan in my family so I only ever went to one game at Burnden (v Wolves in the final season). As a 10 year old I knew I was hooked for life and always felt kind of cheated that I missed out on going there as an adult. I'll never tire of leaving my house at 2.10 and being at the UniBolt for half past though.