Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Peterborough (H)

Marc505

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

1 point from 9 so far against teams you’d consider our rivals. Continuing the same theme from last season. 

has to change. 2-1

I get what you are saying.

But it is an ever changing dynamic, especially as you beat the sides around you and climb the table.

Charlton, Wycombe and MK (to a degree based on previously years) could arguably have been considered our rivals for top 6 spots.

If we beat Peterborough they could conceivably drop to mid-table, does that then make it just another game where we haven’t beaten a rival? 

• Site Supporter
11 minutes ago, desperado said:

But it is an ever changing dynamic, especially as you beat the sides around you and climb the table.

Charlton, Wycombe and MK (to a degree based on previously years) could arguably have been considered our rivals for top 6 spots.

If we beat Peterborough they could conceivably drop to mid-table, does that then make it just another game where we haven’t beaten a rival? 

?

Er, as we'd have beaten them, clearly not!

🤣

15 minutes ago, desperado said:

I think before the season started we’d all pick the majority of the same teams that would be in and around us (Wycombe prob included so you could argue 4 out of 12 points) 

I’d probably go down as far as 8th in terms of our “competition” as we’re probably looking at the play offs rather than autos 

for me the Charltons, Oxfords are below that top 8. 

So our points haul from the Portsmouth, sheff weds, Ipswich, Peterborough, Plymouth, Barnsley and prob derby is what I’m looking at and what needs to improve 

Edited by barrycowdrill

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, desperado said:

I get your humour 😊 -  

But I think you get my point - if we beat Peterborough and they drop to mid-table would we have beaten a rival?

Yep, think they’ll be up there at the end. Just having a blip.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, barrycowdrill said:

I think before the season started we’d all pick the majority of the same teams that would be in and around us (Wycombe prob included so you could argue 4 out of 12 points) 

I’d probably go down as far as 8th in terms of our “competition” as we’re probably looking at the play offs rather than autos 

for me the Charltons, Oxfords are below that top 8. 

So our points haul from the Portsmouth, sheff weds, Ipswich, Peterborough, Plymouth, Barnsley and prob derby is what I’m looking at and what needs to improve 

All pretty subjective especially when it comes to play-off rivals. There’s arguably 13/14 teams whose realistic aspirations (based on current form, stature of club or previous season’s achievements) are to get in the top 6. 

Currently (although even this could change) I’d say there’s only the 4 above us (although I’m not sure about Plymouth) who look like they could mount a title challenge. But again all very subjective.

Rival or not, it’s a big game, which if we win cements a really good start.

Momentum well and truly on our side here - but clearly a dangerous opponent in terms of their attackers. 

I'm often drawn to a "law of averages" rule in terms of predictions. Peterborough are due a draw and we are due a home draw. That wouldn't be a disaster but a win would put a serious marker down. 

Other things due: an outfield league goal by a striker; a sending off for the opposition.