Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Big Sam....

gonzo

Well is it just a coincidence that out form dramatically dropped when the New Year kicked in and Sam wasn't given what he felt was needed to sustain our results.

If we didn't have the funds then why did Megson have money available, what investments did we get from Sam leaving to Megson's reign, that wasn't available when Sam was here, now I know Sam did spend money on players like Anelka but the reasons we heard for Sam leaving was because of lack of ambition.

I doubt we have got all this debt since Megson left, we would have been in debt under Sam and Megson, I think we could have done more under Sam if he was backed more consistently, what he did was deserved, many teams are in so called debt and still have a transfer fund.

if we are fifth and looking to catch say......united,chelsea,arsenal and liverpool with spurs in 6th, how much do you think we would have had to spend to catch the other 4 ?

bear in mind they can spend as well.

one of the few facts in a duscussion like this is that everyone around us would have had many millions more than us.

so, if we had enough, why spend fcuking millions?

if we had enough - your opinion - it's either the fault of allardyce or the players, not the board

This is what's in that stat is confusing me. We were good enough to get up here, but Allardyce wasn't given the cash and, with those same players, we dropped like a stone second half of the season.

Surely that's down to him either losing interest or throwing his toys out of the pram. If he felt so strongly shouldn't he have resigned there and then in disgust?

Well I think we had enough quality to get 4th because of what we did before the 1st of January, we're talking like 6 years ago, so relying on memory, I think we had the players to get way more than 17 points from those 17 games.

Now I'm not sure what players Sam would have gone for if he was given what he wanted, I can't say that new signings would have got us Champions League or made us get a UEFA cup place earlier than the last day of the season, but I do feel it may have helped, the players and management were at fault for throwing it away, we over-achieved, but we got ourselves in a position were such dizzy heights looked feasible.

Apart from Andranik v Wigan and narrow wins v Watford and Sheff United, thise last 17 games were very comparable to what we did under S.Lee, Megson and now Coyle, only real break from that was August 2010-2010 December under Coyle and once again we slumped in the 2nd half, we relied on Sturridge and a decent cup run.

Edited by Didledee

We were top 4 before kick off against Liverpool on new years day, we had just won 5 in a row and we're flying, then lost to Liverpool and our last few months under Sam was bottom of the table form, though we still managed to get a UEFA cup place thanks to a 2-2 draw on the last day v Aston Villa.

If we carried on our August-end of December form and if Sam felt like the club matched his ambitions, then maybe we might have got Champions League, a tad unrealistic, but we were winning games and in the placement.

Sam would have loved the money Megson used to bid for Veloso and Emana.

But you're now talking about a different season to the one Dan initially asked about.

And secondly,

HOW MANY FUCKING TIMES DO PEOPLE NEED TO BE TOLD?

THERE WAS NO FUCKING MONEY TO SPEND

& ALLARDYCE KNEW THIS.

This is what's in that stat is confusing me. We were good enough to get up here, but Allardyce wasn't given the cash and, with those same players, we dropped like a stone second half of the season.

Surely that's down to him either losing interest or throwing his toys out of the pram. If he felt so strongly shouldn't he have resigned there and then in disgust?

He was hanging around hoping to get the England gig IIRC.

My opinion is that's exactly what he did. He also did it the season he didn't get the England job. One where Gartside had backed him to the hilt to leave our club. How did he repay him? Six months of sulking. That's two seasons where he basically gave up half way through.

He was excellent for us and he might well be capable of doing a very good job for us again, but he doesn't deserve to come back. Ever.