Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

8 minutes ago, Spider said:

Mounts

I'll give you a specific example of where losing EU funding may rip the heart out of your argument about the UK being good enough to go it alone.

You've heard of graphene, I assume? It's the future of lightweight materials and will be worth trillions in years to come. Currently, Manchester leads the way (as it has on many things and we are rightly proud) in the development of this wonder technology.

It has also been funded by over one billion euros from the EU. the details are here: https://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/106411_en.html

That's just one project that we may lose funding for. Trust me when I say that a few eminent scientists currently working to make Manchester (and the NW of england) once again an industrial superpower will fuck off to Belgium or wherever this research will be moved. A billion euros goes a long way.

Whilst looking at the link, have search on that excellent site for all projects they fund in northern England.

A billion quid isn't easy to raise. No matter how many spitfires we build.

Further to this point the argument that "our government can just fund it" is missing a key point. Lots of this EU funding is cross state and promotes collaborative R&D across multiple institutions in different countries to bring the best scientists together. It works because of the way EU funding is structured to allow this to happen. Our government might fund the research in Manchester but they sure as hell won't be able to cross-fund huge interdisciplinary teams working across many institutions in an out of the UK. Such funding would rely on separate agreements from individual nations which simply will not work. Which is why research like this is rarely funded in European outside of large EU programmes. 

32 minutes ago, Spider said:

Mounts

I'll give you a specific example of where losing EU funding may rip the heart out of your argument about the UK being good enough to go it alone.

You've heard of graphene, I assume? It's the future of lightweight materials and will be worth trillions in years to come.

Graphene is simply amazing, it's going to revolutionize the world once it's commercially available.

I work with a company in Cambridge who are doing loads of research on it. It is just incredible what can be done with it. Electronic Circuitry (hence my involvement) will benefit massively from it. At present they are nearly 100% funded via the EU. They're hoping the UK government will continue the funding. It would be criminal if they don't

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Graphene is simply amazing, it's going to revolutionize the world once it's commercially available.

I work with a company in Cambridge who are doing loads of research on it. It is just incredible what can be done with it. Electronic Circuitry (hence my involvement) will benefit massively from it. At present they are nearly 100% funded via the EU. They're hoping the UK government will continue the funding. It would be criminal if they don't

Can you make blue passports out of it?

3 minutes ago, Sweep said:

A Manchester invention is it not?

Technology? Graphene? Research and Development? Pah!

We'll trade British Fish and Chips for Italian Prosecco.

Brompton Bikes to India for spices and silks.

English Mead for finest Canarian Sack.

Spitfires to Saudi Arabia to spit fire on the Yemen - oil aplenty.

Re-open the Coal Mines and May can do a Trump and get rid of pesky directives - a brave new heavy industry will arise phoenix-like as soon as dumping heavy metals and toxic waste into rivers etc. is allowed again.

Take off your Blue and Gold star blinkers, stop being lily-livered traitorous vermin and get your shoulders behind the wheel.

GSTQ and Viva Espana!

1 hour ago, Spider said:

Mounts

You've heard of graphene, I assume? It's the future of lightweight materials and will be worth trillions in years to come. Currently, Manchester leads the way (as it has on many things and we are rightly proud) in the development of this wonder technology.

It has also been funded by over one billion euros from the EU. the details are here: https://cordis.europa.eu/project/rcn/106411_en.html

That's just one project that we may lose funding for. Trust me when I say that a few eminent scientists currently working to make Manchester (and the NW of england) once again an industrial superpower will fuck off to Belgium or wherever this research will be moved. A billion euros goes a long way.

Whilst looking at the link, have search on that excellent site for all projects they fund in northern England.

Fantastic well done the EU for giving this project just some of the money back we have given them. Bravo!! 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Spider said:

Mounts

Presumably, the EU will benefit financially from this work with in time?

I'm not sure what current or future agreements (TM deal) mean for research, but I would assume some of the £39 billion is to go towards such things (ongoing liabilities) and even if not then perhaps it allows for continued collaboration.

I would imagine intelligent folk from both sides of the channel realise the benefits of ongoing intellectual and financial collaboration in such situations.

If not, then perhaps the Chinese, Japanese or Americans may consider taking a look.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Fantastic well done the EU for giving this project just some of the money back we have given them. Bravo!! 

But but but (he stammered incredulously), you keep telling us we don't get anything back. 

Do you think the UK govt will continue to back such projects with as much if not more money?

Don't forget, they've said all the money we currently send their way is going to buy incubators for the hospitals.

10 minutes ago, Spider said:

But but but (he stammered incredulously), you keep telling us we don't get anything back. 

Do you think the UK govt will continue to back such projects with as much if not more money?

Don't forget, they've said all the money we currently send their way is going to buy incubators for the hospitals.

For the millionth time we give them a shed load of money and they take a BIG cut then pretend to generously give us back 150 million less every week. That money we could divi up ourselves.  Folk voting for that scenario and continuing to try to make a point that its great, need locking up in an asylum. 

4 hours ago, MalcolmW said:

As that occurred when we were already leaving their union, it appears to demonstrate that we don't need to be in it to retain alliance where necessary.

So short sighted and arrogant.  "Ta very much we will use your alliance when we need it, otherwise sod off".

If it came to making embargoes against Russia (or whoever) the EU will be in a far stronger position than the UK standing alone.

2 hours ago, jules_darby said:

A Manchester invention is it not?

2 hours ago, Spider said:

It is. Helped by lots of money from the EU.

Maybe it is worth mentioning that the two scientists leading the Manchester research were educated to first degree level in Soviet Union and Russia.

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

Maybe it is worth mentioning that the two scientists leading the Manchester research were educated to first degree level in Soviet Union and Russia.

To be fair to you Malc, you generally bring sense and reason.

This has me a touch baffled though.

I'm assuming the lure of top notch research facilities and a decent wage has drawn them to Manchester. Backed by EU money. 

Given that is the case, I assume they would move to anywhere on earth of the research did the same?

Otherwise, I'm not sure what you're getting at by stating their nationality. If anything, it simply proves that they'll go wherever needed.

14 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Sorry Mounts, you really don't understand how funding works if this is what your replies are - as i said its not pocket money to just 'divvy up'

Its worrying that this sort of thinking has been allowed become some sort of rationality is certain quarters.

My point is we have that extra money to do with as our government pleases.  Apologies for my divvy up comment it seems to have upset you.  My rational thought process tells me that we can spend that 150 million per week as we see fit, no doubt you are now going to justify why we cannot.   

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

My point is we have that extra money to do with as our government pleases.  Apologies for my divvy up comment it seems to have upset you.  My rational thought process tells me that we can spend that 150 million per week as we see fit, no doubt you are now going to justify why we cannot.   

Brexit has already cost us a lot more than £150M a week and we've not even left yet you plonker.

Edited by Cheese

46 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

But that’s what you are not understanding - it doesn’t and never did, and do you understand why match funding is so important and that there is currently no system that will replace these structural funds.

Anyway, you crack on, it’s probably just a load of waffle anyway.

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

How easy do you think it will be to commit to and match current EU spending levels and distribution models on research alone?

Edited by bwfcfan5