Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Extinction people

globaldiver

Just now, bwfcfan5 said:

But we aren't improving or changing fast enough to stop the warming - we will not meet our own targets as things stand. 

15 countries produce 2/3 of the worlds c02 emissions. We aren’t one of them. Some of them are actually increasing.

Even if we met the ER target by 2025, it wouldn’t make any difference.

1 hour ago, Boby Brno said:

15 countries produce 2/3 of the worlds c02 emissions. We aren’t one of them. Some of them are actually increasing.

And we come back to - what alternative to hitting and exceeding our own targets and doing our best to bring others along with us are you proposing?

• Members
3 hours ago, royal white said:

Are we all on about the woman on andrew Neil’s show last night? Surely she wasn’t 16

Naaah - he was having a pop at me about that Scandinavian bint who squeezes every word out with the pained expression of extreme constipation.

32 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

And we come back to - what alternative to hitting and exceeding our own targets and doing our best to bring others along with us are you proposing?

I’m sending the addresses of the embassy’s of the 15 largest polluters  to Zion Lights. 

• Members
Just now, Boby Brno said:

I’m sending the addresses of the embassy’s of the 15 largest polluters  to Zion Lights. 

8:32 of my life I will never get back. If I were to make a suggestion to that oddball it would be to change one vowel in her chosen first name and drop the 's' off the surname.

Zoon Light. Highly appropriate.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Boby Brno said:

At least by trying it would give us some ground to at least get others on side.

2 hours ago, Boby Brno said:

This is just a really uninformed argument about how C02 emissions work & global industry.

Some of the world's most polluting companies operate here but set up their business abroad in countries such as China or Saudi Arabia. This means their emissions don't count as UK emissions, & neither do any of the transport emissions used to get it here. Therefore we avoid being on the list you quoted above. When in reality, we should be close to the top. 

Western countries consume all of these products in vast amounts. Again none of this comes counts as our emissions. 

Producing our own food, clothes, energy & building infrastructure would have a MASSIVE impact. Plus creating an amazing workforce & improving communities. Western nations can collectively make a huge difference to global C02 emissions. 

17 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

This is just a really uninformed argument about how C02 emissions work & global industry.

Some of the world's most polluting companies operate here but set up their business abroad in countries such as China or Saudi Arabia. This means their emissions don't count as UK emissions, & neither do any of the transport emissions used to get it here. Therefore we avoid being on the list you quoted above. When in reality, we should be close to the top. 

Western countries consume all of these products in vast amounts. Again none of this comes counts as our emissions. 

Producing our own food, clothes, energy & building infrastructure would have a MASSIVE impact. Plus creating an amazing workforce & improving communities. Western nations can collectively make a huge difference to global C02 emissions. 

I doubt you can prove your highlighted bit.

Other than that I don’t disagree. I always look for British produced food and other stuff and own a British built car. I try to buy British goods for my business but it’s not always possible. Brexit has highlighted the fact we are a global trading nation.

4 hours ago, Boby Brno said:

I doubt you can prove your highlighted bit.

Other than that I don’t disagree. I always look for British produced food and other stuff and own a British built car. I try to buy British goods for my business but it’s not always possible. Brexit has highlighted the fact we are a global trading nation.

That's good. I don't judge anyone personally on this thread & I know people care. Using sustainable methods, we could produce pretty much everything we need locally & live comfortably. Globalised industry has destroyed communities in this country, our climate & wildlife. More importantly, it's driven people & politics apart in a blame game. I think a green new deal could reverse that & inspire on a global level.

In terms of proving the bold bit. I don't feel I need to. You don't need to delve very deep into multi-national companies based in Britain to find out how they avoid our own emission targets by operating abroad. We dump emissions all over the world. 

It's also important not to get sucked into just CO2 emissions. Our oceans are acidifying, wildlife is decreasing at a rapid rate & soil is eroding. It is happening just as much here as anywhere. Trees are the most effective form of carbon capture we have. There is plenty of work to be done to rewild, restore & stop using chemicals in our farming.

So let's stop using other countries acts as an excuse not to do anything and take a good look at ourselves. If we & other countries move away from fossil fuels & imported goods then China & others will produce less.

Edited by London Wanderer

22 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

That's good. I don't judge anyone personally on this thread & I know people care. Using sustainable methods, we could produce pretty much everything we need locally & live comfortably. Globalised industry has destroyed communities in this country, our climate & wildlife. More importantly, it's driven people & politics apart in a blame game. I think a green new deal could reverse that & inspire on a global level.

In terms of proving the bold bit. I don't feel I need to. You don't need to delve very deep into multi-national companies based in Britain to find out how they avoid our own emission targets by operating abroad. We dump emissions all over the world. 

It's also important not to get sucked into just CO2 emissions. Our oceans are acidifying, wildlife is decreasing at a rapid rate & soil is eroding. It is happening just as much here as anywhere. Trees are the most effective form of carbon capture we have. There is plenty of work to be done to rewild, restore & stop using chemicals in our farming.

So let's stop using other countries acts as an excuse not to do anything and take a good look at ourselves. If we & other countries move away from fossil fuels & imported goods then China & others will produce less.

You should definitely stay on here

Edited by boltondiver

6 hours ago, bolty58 said:

I can't help myself. The voices made me say it.

One of Red Micks many shortcomings is that he has mistaken me for someone who gives a fuck what he thinks.

I know you don’t give a shit. I don’t give a shit that you don’t give a shit but I do like to remind folk here what a tit you are at every opportunity.

In fact,  I consider it my civic duty. 

38 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Again, I agree with most but not all of what you say. On a climate change thread, I would engage more. This thread is about Extinction Rebellion though and I suspect that, on that subject, we are polar opposites. 

27 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

You should definitely stay on here

I don't know if I have the time and I feel like I've said far too much 😁 Plus I'm going around in circles.

I also don't think Extinction Rebellion are going to save the world. They certainly piss me off plenty & I'm not some sort of XR Messiah. I just understand why they are acting like their house is on fire.

Decades of scientific research & evidence has told us that our kids will be facing famine, war & ecosystem collapse if we carry on with business as usual & don't restore nature. We're totally unprepared in the UK for this. Yet the media give it very little attention & industries continue with business as usual. So expect people to be acting in desperation. Civil disobedience has worked in the past, but maybe it won't now, who knows. 

Act in whatever way you think best, but fuck we all need to put some sort of pressure on the government. Start by telling your MP they need to recognise this is a priority & do more. 

And most importantly, enjoy the next 20 years while you can 😁🌎

Edited by London Wanderer

8 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

I don't know if I have the time and I feel like I've said far too much 😁 Plus I'm going around in circles.

I also don't think Extinction Rebellion are going to save the world. They certainly piss me off plenty & I'm not some sort of XR Messiah. I just understand why they are acting like their house is on fire.

Decades of scientific research & evidence has told us that our kids will be facing famine, war & ecosystem collapse if we carry on with business as usual & don't restore nature. We're totally unprepared in the UK for this. Yet the media give it very little attention & industries continue with business as usual. So expect people to be acting in desperation. Civil disobedience has worked in the past, but maybe it won't now, who knows. 

Act in whatever way you think best, but fuck we all need to put some sort of pressure on the government. Start by telling your MP they need to recognise this is a priority & do more. 

And most importantly, enjoy the next 20 years while you can 😁🌎

Scientific research told my parents that their kids would be facing famine, war and ecosystem collapse. 

I didn’t see any of that 😉 (well maybe a bit of famine driving around GL and Daubhill) 

14 minutes ago, royal white said:

Scientific research told my parents that their kids would be facing famine, war and ecosystem collapse. 

I didn’t see any of that 😉 (well maybe a bit of famine driving around GL and Daubhill) 

Hehe.. my mum was a dietician in GL.  She mainly dealt with folk eating too much food 😉

Scientists were giving the warnings back then but there was no knowledge of timescale like they have now. Plus they had think tanks actively dismissing the facts and promoting climate denial.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/10/thinktank-climate-science-institute-economic-affairs

Amazing that 14 members of Boris's cabinet have links to the think-tanks previous or current initiatives. But let's not get political 😉

Anyone who thinks we will be fine if we carry on as usual is seriously deluded. 

• Site Supporter
19 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

Hehe.. my mum was a dietician in GL.  She mainly dealt with folk eating too much food 😉

Scientists were giving the warnings back then but there was no knowledge of timescale like they have now. Plus they had think tanks actively dismissing the facts and promoting climate denial.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/oct/10/thinktank-climate-science-institute-economic-affairs

Amazing that 14 members of Boris's cabinet have links to the think-tanks previous or current initiatives. But let's not get political 😉

Climate Change deniers are as deluded as those cunts who think Vaccinating people is bad. They're generally quite thick, and would rather believe conspiracy theories than actual scientific research. 

Edited by Cheese

18 minutes ago, London Wanderer said:

The problem I have with ER, who I assume you support, is that they don’t agree with the IPCC report. After years of denial, most people and governments now agree that things have to change. Ironically, ER are now dismissing a report that has a global consensus with thousands of references and almost a hundred authors. Just like the climate change deniers. Who are the experts in this cult who know better?

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

The problem I have with ER, who I assume you support, is that they don’t agree with the IPCC report. After years of denial, most people and governments now agree that things have to change. Ironically, ER are now dismissing a report that has a global consensus with thousands of references and almost a hundred authors. Just like the climate change deniers. Who are the experts in this cult who know better?

In what way don't "they" agree with it? 

19 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Climate Change deniers are as deluded as those cunts who think Vaccinating people is bad. They're generally quite thick, and would rather believe conspiracy theories than actual scientific research. 

I don’t think anyone has denied it on this thread.