Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Flour Cakes or Barms in Bolton

embankment

50 minutes ago, dave2980 said:

They do a 300g tin now which is perfect for those of us that want to eat more than half but less than a full size normal tin.

Always a full tin. First cooked them on a super high heat (keep stirring) for five minutes and then ages on a low heat to get them nice and globby. No runny sauce. 

1 hour ago, Youri McAnespie said:

I admit to putting Encona Hot Sauce on crumpets, but then again I was putting it on pretty much everything bar cereal at one point.

I rarely open a tin of beans as it means committing to eating a whole tin.

Don't like them that much.

One other thing...

Hash browns on a 'full English'.

Fuck off with your cheap American fillers (not you).

It's a travesty, and they're often there at the expense of a traditional ingredient, such as mushrooms, plum tomato, grilled tomato or fried bread.

I expect Welsh rarebit is banned nowadays? I'm struggling to think of, pound for pound, owt more cholesterol and calorie laden.

Dirty bastard.

Just now, bolton_blondie said:

Before my time but all owd dears on LL Facebook page go on about him with his wiggly ears 😂😂

Aye he used to do the ear thing every time. My mum still refers to it when we speak about it. 

I was only a kid myself and can’t remember when he shut exactly but must have been when you were a toddler or very young for Defo 

7 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Does anyone ever have danish bacon, flora spread and HP sauce on a white barmcake in that southern fairyland or is it always apple-fed pancetta with thyme and sage wild garlic butter on toasted brioche with melted dolcelatta and tamarind and date molasses?

He is  living in cloud cuckoo land down there

probably looks like Wilfrid Brambell in an east end bed sit

tucking into spam straight from the tin 

23 minutes ago, crawshawbooth said:

He is  living in cloud cuckoo land down there

probably looks like Wilfrid Brambell in an east end bed sit

tucking into spam straight from the tin 

I beg your pardon. I live in a very leafy south london suburb in a very nice townhouse with off road parking and delightful views over the Ravensbourne valley and across to Crystal Palace and pay through the nose for the priviledge, I'll have you know.

Anyway, was out early going to the hospital this morning so I treated myself to breakfast from the local cafe. A lovely bacon and halloumi roll. Another breakfast of champions.

So good did it sound, a local workman type person said - that sounds lovely and ordered one for his good self.

It's even got some lovely 70s typography. Its worth a trip if you are ever in the area (just avoid sat morning when it gets invaded by Park runners) Bridge Cafe image

Edited by Not in Crawley

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I beg your pardon. I live in a very leafy south london suburb in a very nice townhouse with off road parking and delightful views over the Ravensbourne valley and across to Crystal Palace and pay through the nose for the priviledge, I'll have you know.

Anyway, was out early going to the hospital this morning so I treated myself to breakfast from the local cafe. A lovely bacon and halloumi roll. Another breakfast of champions.

So good did it sound, a local workman type person said - that sounds lovely and ordered one for his good self.

Ever thought of uprooting your family and getting a job up here?  Your pound buys a lot more bricks and mortar than down there. 

2 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Ever thought of uprooting your family and getting a job up here?  Your pound buys a lot more bricks and mortar than down there. 

Probably would have done but as I'm divorced and the ex isn't moving from Canterbury I didn't fancy being so far away from the kids when we split up.

My other half is northern and her sister lives in Manchester so once the kids are older we'll most likely move back given you don't need to just work in London for our sector anymore, which wasn't the case when I first moved down 20 years ago.

I am sick of everything being a pinch and would like more for my money. I will miss London as I do love it, but I want to be able to do other things with my money which currently I can't.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

There is nowhere on this planet someone who grafts for a living and has a good chance of going home covered in shit has fucking halloumi for dinner.

Never happened.

Not even in that London.

I bought some halloumi from Morrisons. Dry fried it on a cast iron griddle and...

It was indeed shit.  Any food which makes a squeaking noise when you bite is either rubber or still alive. 

Edited by MickyD
Fat thumbs