Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Burnden Disaster Official report

Mounts Kipper

• Members

I was down at the UniBol this afternoon. I was disappointed not to see the flags at half mast for the 33. Also we should, as a club and fans, mark the anniversary more. I feel it's been neglected. It's sometimes called the forgotten disaster, and it seems it is with the folk of Bolton and the club. The odd social media post is something but it's the bare minimum the club has done. 

I'm not asking for anything major but flags at half mast would be a start. I did notice the names of the dead were on a plaque near the Lofthouse statue. But maybe a separate memorial would be more fitting. Something fans could visit and lay flowers. 

I know, I'm sounding like a Liverpool fan.

Edited by Underpants

5 minutes ago, Underpants said:

I was down at the UniBol this afternoon. I was disappointed not to see the flags at half mast for the 33. Also we should, as a club and fans, mark the anniversary more. I feel it's been neglected. It's sometimes called the forgotten disaster, and it seems it is with the folk of Bolton and the club. The odd social media post is something but it's the bare minimum the club has done. 

I'm not asking for anything major but flags at half mast would be a start. I did notice the names of the dead were on a plaque neer the Lofthouse statue. But maybe a separate memorial would be more fitting. Something fans could visit and lay flowers. 

Disappointed at the flag situation and yes, a separate memorial would be apt and fitting. Hopefully in situ by 2026.

• Site Supporter
20 minutes ago, Underpants said:

I'm not asking for anything major but flags at half mast would be a start. I did notice the names of the dead were on a plaque near the Lofthouse statue. But maybe a separate memorial would be more fitting. Something fans could visit and lay flowers. 

Aye.

Fine balance needed- respectful but not virtue signalling. 

30 minutes ago, bwfc2003 said:

seen nothing about a minutes silence at saturdays match either

I was moaning there was no mention yesterday on local news - but if the club cant be bothered .....

Saturday the flags should be at half mast. A minutes silence and black arm bands worn. This should be traditional.

14 hours ago, Underpants said:

For anyone interested here is how the Burnden disaster came to be "remembered" again

It remained completely forgotten by the club until 1989

In quick succession we had  experienced  3 major disasters affecting English Football in the 1980s   - Bradford , Heysel and most recently Hillsborough. 

BWFC announced at the beginning of the 1989/90 season a series of testimonial events for Nat Lofthouse - there was a book published and a match played against Man City and various functions were organised. 

Shortly afterwards an article appeared in the BEN about a lady called Mrs Coward (i think that was her name - might have been Howard?) who had lost a close relative in the disaster and commenting that it was completely forgotten.  ( Think the relative had been her husband or brother - again i cannot clearly remember )

Anyway a couple of us got talking and an emotive open letter was written and published  in the BEN basically asking the club to justify remembering the career of a player who had devoted 50 years of his working life to the club, yet at the same time choosing to completely ignore the wishes of the likes of Mrs Coward and not in any way mark the site of the disaster at which  33 people had 40 odd years earlier lost their lives. The inference being there was money to be made out of remembering the one and nothing to be made out of the other. 

Things then when silent. 

Then I had a conversation with Gordon Sharrock , who in essence said they dont know how to reply to the letter and wont , but they admit they are embarrassed by the situation and want to do something about it - watch this space. 

Within a few months Mrs Coward had been contacted by the club, it was announced a plaque would be erected and she would be invited to the unveiling , which i guess was in 1990 ?

From then on it was remembered more and more - with a very well attended service at Bolton Parish Church in 1996 marking the 50th anniversary. 

Edited by Benny The Ball

12 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Tbf there’s the remembrance area in front of reception. I know it isn’t specifically for the disaster, but it’s a similar theme. 

Not having the flags at half mast is poor form, mind. 

Isn't there a book behind a window with everyone's name in it who died as a permanent reminder? 

1 minute ago, kent_white said:

Isn't there a book behind a window with everyone's name in it who died as a permanent reminder? 

3 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Yes there is. I was going to mention that but as weird as it sounds I’ve got no idea how anyone turns the pages!

I'm sure I've seen all the names in that book before. But when I went down yesterday there was only one name for that date. Maybe because there's 33 names it's on another page 🤔

Yesterday..

lgQQcXG.jpeg

62I0Y3a.jpeg

30 minutes ago, Underpants said:

I'm sure I've seen all the names in that book before. But when I went down yesterday there was only one name for that date. Maybe because there's 33 names it's on another page 🤔

Yesterday..

lgQQcXG.jpeg

62I0Y3a.jpeg

I think there’s a dedicated page but I could be wrong 

• Site Supporter

There’s no point turning up on 10th March to see the Book of Remembrance for a death (or deaths in this case) which occurred on the 9th. The page is turned daily to reflect the current date.

Also, I seem to recall the club takes part in an act of remembrance only when a home game falls on the 9th. (Although I could be mistaken here)