Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

That there London

freds dad

I’ve been approached to do some work for Guys and St Thomas’s hospital in London and hoped that you knowledgeable people could offer some advice.

I’ll be working there Tuesday to Thursday so need accommodation for two nights. Around the hospital is too expensive as is AirBnb, so what areas either North or South of the river are nice and within a 30 minute or so tube ride.

I will need somewhere for around 6 months.

Thanks

Edited by freds dad

• Site Supporter
42 minutes ago, freds dad said:

I’ve been approached to do some work for Guys and St Thomas’s hospital in London and hoped that you knowledgeable people could offer some advice.

I’ll be working there Tuesday to Thursday so need accommodation for two nights. Around the hospital is too expensive as is AirBnb, so what areas either North or South of the river are nice and within a 30 minute or so tube ride.

Thanks

What’s your budget?

I can’t help, like, but if others have an idea what you can afford it might help

Edited by Spider

37 minutes ago, freds dad said:

Thanks

They must have a Spare bed in there 

just cuddle up to 98 Year old Doris 

2 hours ago, freds dad said:

Thanks

In seriousness - why not Bromley/Shortlands/Beckenham? Nice areas and feel like you're out of the city. They are in Zone 4 and the Thameslink goes direct to Blackfriars (30 Mins) - from there you can walk or get off at Elephant and Castle (20 mins) and get the Bakerloo to Lambeth North.

Sorry also, you won't miss the North as you go into the local weatherspoons on a Monday/Tuesday and its rammed with Northern contractors. Think they all stay in the Travellodge at the top of our road.

Edited by Not in Crawley

15 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

In seriousness - why not Bromley/Shortlands/Beckenham? Nice areas and feel like you're out of the city. They are in Zone 4 and the Thameslink goes direct to Blackfriars (30 Mins) - from there you can walk or get off at Elephant and Castle (20 mins) and get the Bakerloo to Lambeth North.

Sorry also, you won't miss the North as you go into the local weatherspoons on a Monday/Tuesday and its rammed with Northern contractors. Think they all stay in the Travellodge at the top of our road.

Thank you. This is the sort of knowledge I was looking for.

5 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

If you do make it over this way, let us know and I'll shout you a pint or two in the Shortlands Tavern.

£6.90 a pint!!!!

7.35 yesterday in Euston and I suspect more in Canary Wharf. Good pints though.

10 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

If you do make it over this way, let us know and I'll shout you a pint or two in the Shortlands Tavern.

£6.90 a pint!!!!

I paid £6.20 in Biggleswade the other day for a pint of Asahi, first time I've seen the £6 barrier breached locally..........we soon scuttled back to our village club for a more sensibly priced £3.60 Moretti

9 minutes ago, tomski said:

7.35 yesterday in Euston and I suspect more in Canary Wharf. Good pints though.

I'm fine paying it in town - went to Brasserie Zedel last night for pre-show cocktails - £18 a pop; but a Zone 4 local pub? 

Actually if folk are in London and want a pre-show meal, Zedel is a decent place in a touristy area - just off Piccadilly Circus, the Prix Fixe is set at £16.95 for two courses, and the setting is lovely for a touristy evening out sort of thing.

3 hours ago, freds dad said:

Thanks

Prince Andrew’s gaff is available 

47 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I'm fine paying it in town - went to Brasserie Zedel last night for pre-show cocktails - £18 a pop; but a Zone 4 local pub? 

Actually if folk are in London and want a pre-show meal, Zedel is a decent place in a touristy area - just off Piccadilly Circus, the Prix Fixe is set at £16.95 for two courses, and the setting is lovely for a touristy evening out sort of thing.

Been a few times, a decent place. I quite like Bar American in there, for a drink or two and “free” popcorn.

4 hours ago, freds dad said:

Thanks

When are you intending to start the 6 months? Is it Guys (London Bridge), St Thomas (Waterloo) or would you be at both?

I suspect Crawley may be you man for this (I saw he gave some tips above) as South/East would likely be an easier commute. I live in N London and work near London Bridge and the commute is just short of an hour. 

28 minutes ago, Jol_BWFC said:

Been a few times, a decent place. I quite like Bar American in there, for a drink or two and “free” popcorn.

Yeah - was in Bar American last night - as I say it's ok for a tourisy type thing. 'free popcorn' aye - three cocktails, one beer, some fries and two chicken bites...£78