Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Coronation on your street?

globaldiver

18 minutes ago, Spider said:

Any day of the week, the roundabout outside Buckingham Palace is heaving with visitors. I was there 2 weeks ago because my daughter wanted to see it.

Thousand every day all spunking their cash on hotels, food, travel, your theatre nonsense, etc etc.

Im telling you now, it would only be half as busy if the monarchy had disappeared. Deep down you know it.

I just think it’s an entertainment franchise that spins a big profit, so we can probably stop saying they’re a drain on the economy.

Argue about constitutional shit all you like, but my tax money is paying for much bigger shithouses than the Windsors, that much I do know.

Big hairy balls.

15 million people a year visit Versailles.

In comparison the Tower of London gets 3 million.

Edited by mickbrown

• Site Supporter
28 minutes ago, Spider said:

Any day of the week, the roundabout outside Buckingham Palace is heaving with visitors. I was there 2 weeks ago because my daughter wanted to see it.

Thousand every day all spunking their cash on hotels, food, travel, your theatre nonsense, etc etc.

Im telling you now, it would only be half as busy if the monarchy had disappeared. Deep down you know it.

I just think it’s an entertainment franchise that spins a big profit, so we can probably stop saying they’re a drain on the economy.

Argue about constitutional shit all you like, but my tax money is paying for much bigger shithouses than the Windsors, that much I do know.

Utter nonsense. The Palace of Versaille is a more popular tourist destination than Buckingham Palace, and they got rid of their monarchy over 200 years ago. Unless the King is stood on the balcony all day waving at people, they're only there to see a historic building.

If they "spin a big profit", why do they need a Sovereign Grant every year? Why can't they fund their travel costs and garden parties themselves?

• Site Supporter
35 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Utter nonsense. The Palace of Versaille is a more popular tourist destination than Buckingham Palace, and they got rid of their monarchy over 200 years ago. Unless the King is stood on the balcony all day waving at people, they're only there to see a historic building.

If they "spin a big profit", why do they need a Sovereign Grant every year? Why can't they fund their travel costs and garden parties themselves?

What does the sovereign grant cover?

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Spider said:

What does the sovereign grant cover?

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/sovereign-grant-act-2011-guidance/sovereign-grant-act-2011-guidance

1. Sovereign Grant

The Sovereign Grant Act 2011 came into effect on 1 April 2012. It sets the single grant supporting the monarch’s official business, enabling The King to discharge his duties as Head of State. It meets the central staff costs and running expenses of His Majesty’s official household – including official receptions, investitures and garden parties. It also covers maintenance of the Royal Palaces in England and the cost of travel to carry out royal engagements such as opening buildings and other royal visits.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Cheese said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/sovereign-grant-act-2011-guidance/sovereign-grant-act-2011-guidance

1. Sovereign Grant

The Sovereign Grant Act 2011 came into effect on 1 April 2012. It sets the single grant supporting the monarch’s official business, enabling The King to discharge his duties as Head of State. It meets the central staff costs and running expenses of His Majesty’s official household – including official receptions, investitures and garden parties. It also covers maintenance of the Royal Palaces in England and the cost of travel to carry out royal engagements such as opening buildings and other royal visits.

How much is it?

• Site Supporter
Just now, BobyBrno said:

It’s about £102 million. As for the economic benefits, it’s not all about that there London. 
https://www.investmentmonitor.ai/features/how-much-money-does-the-monarchy-bring-to-the-uk/

As I understood it, the sovereign grant was about 20% of profits from the crown estate. The other 80% stays with the government, but could be wrong there.

So they make a profit, and get to keep 20%.

Seems like a good deal to me.

But , you know, Versailles or something 

1 hour ago, Spider said:

But they ain't coming just because of a sitting monarch.

The fuckers are always in Windsor anyway. 

London as a destination is bigger than the King.

• Site Supporter
Just now, Not in Crawley said:

But they ain't coming just because of a sitting monarch.

The fuckers are always in Windsor anyway. 

London as a destination is bigger than the King.

It is

but it’s a large part of it.

They’re not coming to look at the Isle of Dogs.

Sort a French style revolution out and we can treble the turnover apparently 

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Spider said:

As I understood it, the sovereign grant was about 20% of profits from the crown estate. The other 80% stays with the government, but could be wrong there.

So they make a profit, and get to keep 20%.

Seems like a good deal to me.

But , you know, Versailles or something 

Where are you getting that from?

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Spider said:

It is

They're not coming to look at the Royal Family either. They're coming to look at landmarks and buildings.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Cheese said:

Where are you getting that from?

The government website

Of I thought they were knowingly taking the piss out of us I’d say so, but I’ve never seen anything to suggest they are.

They might be lizards, but they’re OUR lizards

4 minutes ago, Spider said:

The government website

Of I thought they were knowingly taking the piss out of us I’d say so, but I’ve never seen anything to suggest they are.

They might be lizards, but they’re OUR lizards

I know this is all hypothetical and it'll never happen, but you don't actually think if we abolished the monarchy, they'd be fucking off with the  crown estate in their back pockets do you?

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

I know this is all hypothetical and it'll never happen, but you don't actually think if we abolished the monarchy, they'd be fucking off with the  crown estate in their back pockets do you?

Would me and you get a bit each?

Didn’t think so.

I’m just not commie enough to want rid of the institution. I’d rather live in a Britain with a monarchy, than one without.

I fucking hate scousers, but I don’t really think we should shovel them into the sea.

well, not every single one.

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, Cheese said:

They're not coming to look at the Royal Family either. They're coming to look at landmarks and buildings.

You just don’t understand it.

25 minutes ago, Spider said:

It is

You came down for a Bolton match.

I'm not a huge republican and I also think as a decent society we should take pro monarcists opinions into account.

I'd be up for a reduced role and reduce the amount we spend on them, but I'm not up of a modern version of The Terror.

I'll be waving my union jack with me picnic on Saturday.

1 hour ago, Cheese said:

What was the tourist rates like in the years immediately after the abolishment ?

Or do you think that doing something, to which the economic benefits may take 50+ years to materialise, is a good idea ?

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, ZiggyStardust said:

What was the tourist rates like in the years immediately after the abolishment ?

Or do you think that doing something, to which the economic benefits may take 50+ years to materialise, is a good idea ?

I don't know. Never going to happen anyway. Just find it all very odd, and Serfdom aint for me. Each to their own though.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Cheese said:

I don't know. Never going to happen anyway. Just find it all very odd, and Serfdom aint for me. Each to their own though.

Do as you’re told like a good little subject 

25 minutes ago, Spider said:

Would me and you get a bit each?

Didn’t think so.

I’m just not commie enough to want rid of the institution. I’d rather live in a Britain with a monarchy, than one without.

I fucking hate scousers, but I don’t really think we should shovel them into the sea.

well, not every single one.

Racist

I've never been a big one for the Royal Family, but I also don't see any reason to totally get rid. I'm fairly happy as things are, if it's true (and I heard this on the radio) that they "cost" me about 60p a year, then I think I'm OK with that, and will be able to cope. I won't go out of my way to celebrate on Saturday, in fact I think I've already got plans to do some shit in the garden I've been avoiding for a few weeks. I'm sure I'll catch the highlights on the news, I certainly won't be going having a picnic in the local park, puffing out my chest and saying "Nobody does pomp and ceremony like we do" (as though that really matters)

I'm not sure, in the grand scheme of things there is a massive appetite to go full on republic and depose of them, so we're going to be stuck with them for a while yet. 

• Site Supporter
9 minutes ago, Sweep said:

I've never been a big one for the Royal Family, but I also don't see any reason to totally get rid. I'm fairly happy as things are, if it's true (and I heard this on the radio) that they "cost" me about 60p a year, then I think I'm OK with that, and will be able to cope. I won't go out of my way to celebrate on Saturday, in fact I think I've already got plans to do some shit in the garden I've been avoiding for a few weeks. I'm sure I'll catch the highlights on the news, I certainly won't be going having a picnic in the local park, puffing out my chest and saying "Nobody does pomp and ceremony like we do" (as though that really matters)

I'm not sure, in the grand scheme of things there is a massive appetite to go full on republic and depose of them, so we're going to be stuck with them for a while yet. 

I am similar but the missus wants to get into it with scones and clotted cream and all that caper, proper weird!