• Site Supporter
On 24/12/2023 at 09:20, Zico said:

Other halfs boss

Got his ev through the company then ended up buying it outright 

Several years old now 

Battery has gone 

14k for a new one 

Took this up with the garage/manufacturer 

Basically got told it was his own fault for buying as no one buys EVs out right, they should lease them and hand them back after 3 or 4 years

Dunno what he has, but my van's battery was guaranteed to have at least 70% of its initial capacity for 7 years.

New batteries are coming down in price, especially with new technologies now meaning that smaller units will contain as much power as their lighter counterparts. Also allows for far more recharging cycles.

I read an article recently that explained that a tipping point had been reached with battery prices, that meant evs were cheaper.

It's wrong to look at the cost as a stand alone feature, as the maintenance costs are lower. No gear box, engine etc to wear out neither- something which some drivers will use as an indication of when to change a vehicle.

With an ev you don't have to change the whole thing, just swap the battery. With the new types coming in soon, they will be giving much larger ranges and a longer life too. A no brainer.

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Nowack said:

Electric car battery swap: NIO network explained | DrivingElectric

As its a battery I don`t know why more manufacturers are looking to standardise them and just replace the battery every time like you do with most other devices.

Absolutely. 

Way back, in the infancy, I genuinely thought that this would be the way the industry would go.

Just pull up to a garage, and swap over to a charged one.

Still have home charging obviously, but a quicker alternative when on the road.

• 2 months later...
  • Site Supporter

Renewal time..

Good grief, Policy gone up to 2400 a year!!

Rang them and after 2.5 hours on hold (kept getting cut off), they have it down to 1700 for both cars. 

Can change to Esure and it will come down to 1150 for both cars, but that includes a huge payment upfront.. Still 50 a month cheaper. 

Absolute farce atm!

They even had the cheek to say "If you can get a cheaper quote, ring us and we'll try to beat it". 

• Moderators

Esure put mine up £100

Dabbled with the options but it wasn't coming down 

I'd have just let it renew but next time I logged in had a message saying they couldn't actually renew it anyway so to look elsewhere, which has never happened before

so I did 

got £150 off with some random called 1st central so went with them 

on the day esure ran out I got an email thanking me for auto renewing 

sorted it out no problem like, just saying

My old man was telling me today that his insurance had more than doubled to £1200. He had a look on Go Compare & their cheapest was nearly 2k! I was hoping it was because he's well into his 80s but looks like it's massive increases for all of us.

• Site Supporter
27 minutes ago, Duck Egg said:

My old man was telling me today that his insurance had more than doubled to £1200. He had a look on Go Compare & their cheapest was nearly 2k! I was hoping it was because he's well into his 80s but looks like it's massive increases for all of us.

Old drivers have massively increased recently. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Winchester White said:

Lad is 18 and passed his test last week. Got a new Kia Picanto on PCP for him arriving in 3 to 4 weeks, 2k to insure with both me and his mum as named drivers.

That's very good relatively speaking.

Lad has been driving a few months now, and recently swapped to a slightly newer i30. Bigger engine etc but got over 2k back.

Was over 5k, now around 3.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, little whitt said:

FUCK ME 

just got a Email last year £467

This year £ 779

Do you still have those wooden blocks on the pedals so you can reach them?

Or have you gone all upmarket now with these...

Pedal Extensions - Des Gosling Mobility