Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Manly car insurance chat

kent_white

• Site Supporter
9 hours ago, Cheese said:

I'd have to know which force has submitted the notification thing, wouldn't I? My Insurer doesn't have any details whatsoever yet. Could be from anywhere!

Dvla,  they have the database so they can put a marker on it. 

My dad had it a few years ago when he got his new car, and started getting parking and speeding tickets, previous owner had the plates stolen about a month before he sold it. 

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Cheese said:

I'd have to know which force has submitted the notification thing, wouldn't I? My Insurer doesn't have any details whatsoever yet. Could be from anywhere!

It'll be someone off here, guaranteed 

• 1 month later...

Apparently Car Insurance has shot up? Mine comes up on the 11th Jan. Got a renewal quote of nearly 40% more from esure. Did Go Compare - gone to Hastings and got a saving from last year as well, but I've heard loads of people are having a bit of a nightmare even with loads of years no claims and not having a snazzy car.

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Apparently Car Insurance has shot up? Mine comes up on the 11th Jan. Got a renewal quote of nearly 40% more from esure. Did Go Compare - gone to Hastings and got a saving from last year as well, but I've heard loads of people are having a bit of a nightmare even with loads of years no claims and not having a snazzy car.

Hastings were trying to double mine due to that spurious claim against me. Never did get to the bottom of it, but spoke to them multiple times over several weeks, and they eventually struck it off as a false claim and said it will be permanently wiped from my record. Every time I spoke to them they said they'd get back to me in a few days but never did, which pissed me off a bit. Renewal ended up being about 10% more than last year, which seemed reasonable, and I can't be arsed shopping around.

Edited by Cheese

Just now, Cheese said:

Hasting were trying to double mine due to that spurious claim against me. Never did get to the bottom of it, but spoke to them multiple times over several weeks, and they eventually struck it off as a false claim and said it will be permanently wiped from my record. Every time I spoke to them they said they'd get back to me in a few days but never did, which pissed me off a bit. Renewal ended up being about 10% more than last year, which seemed reasonable, and I can't be arsed shopping around.

I only looked around as I was getting tales of insurances companies quoting silly prices. To be fair the shopping around only took an hour, could have had it cheaper but wasn't keen on getting one of those trackers in my car.

Anyway, forced me to do a load of admin I've been meaning to last night things like getting into a new gym, calling the RAC for breakdown (without me noticing it'd gone up to £55 a month!) said I was leaving and gave me the same deal - key replacement, battery etc for £20.

Honestly, these companies like boiling folk like a lobster, you don't notice and it all adds up. Next is my phone but even more than dealing with my car I hate sorting out a new phone, just not a fan of gadgets etc

24 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I only looked around as I was getting tales of insurances companies quoting silly prices. To be fair the shopping around only took an hour, could have had it cheaper but wasn't keen on getting one of those trackers in my car.

Anyway, forced me to do a load of admin I've been meaning to last night things like getting into a new gym, calling the RAC for breakdown (without me noticing it'd gone up to £55 a month!) said I was leaving and gave me the same deal - key replacement, battery etc for £20.

Honestly, these companies like boiling folk like a lobster, you don't notice and it all adds up. Next is my phone but even more than dealing with my car I hate sorting out a new phone, just not a fan of gadgets etc

Who is your current account with ? If you pay a monthly fee check the benefits. I pay £20 per month and that includes AA breakdown cover, Annual 5star travel insurance , phone insurance and some other bits. Always been great service when I claim. 

• Moderators
On 20/12/2023 at 14:11, Cheese said:

Hastings were trying to double mine due to that spurious claim against me. Never did get to the bottom of it, but spoke to them multiple times over several weeks, and they eventually struck it off as a false claim and said it will be permanently wiped from my record. Every time I spoke to them they said they'd get back to me in a few days but never did, which pissed me off a bit. Renewal ended up being about 10% more than last year, which seemed reasonable, and I can't be arsed shopping around.

Other half with Hastings 

They tried doubling hers just because 

Up roughly from £300 to £600 

Rang up, got fobbed off with random excuses and shite 

By the end of the call they knocked it down to £400, just like that 

So out of principle she told them to do one 

Then did all the comparison stuff 

And the revised Hastings quote was the best 

So begrudgingly went with them 

Looking into it further Apparently the reason for the big increases is because of increased costs at garages 

18 minutes ago, Zico said:

Other half with Hastings 

They tried doubling hers just because 

Up roughly from £300 to £600 

Rang up, got fobbed off with random excuses and shite 

By the end of the call they knocked it down to £400, just like that 

So out of principle she told them to do one 

Then did all the comparison stuff 

And the revised Hastings quote was the best 

So begrudgingly went with them 

Looking into it further Apparently the reason for the big increases is because of increased costs at garages 

Including Electric Vehicles, I recall.

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, globaldiver said:

EV garage costs are lower. Less maintenance. 

They are more expensive to buy though and if a battery gets done in an accident, then they are more costly to repair, so insurance reflects that.

Those higher repair/insurance costs for EVs aren't applied to ice vehicles though.

Inflation and uninsured cunts have simply had their effects all over.

Which will push up the number of uninsured drivers.

Enquired about putting lad on van insurance- they won't even consider him until he's 23!

55 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

EV garage costs are lower. Less maintenance. 

They are more expensive to buy though and if a battery gets done in an accident, then they are more costly to repair, so insurance reflects that.

Those higher repair/insurance costs for EVs aren't applied to ice vehicles though.

Inflation and uninsured cunts have simply had their effects all over.

Which will push up the number of uninsured drivers.

Enquired about putting lad on van insurance- they won't even consider him until he's 23!

https://amp.theguardian.com/money/2023/sep/30/the-quotes-were-5000-or-more-electric-vehicle-owners-face-soaring-insurance-costs

• Moderators
22 hours ago, globaldiver said:

Other halfs boss

Got his ev through the company then ended up buying it outright 

Several years old now 

Battery has gone 

14k for a new one 

Took this up with the garage/manufacturer 

Basically got told it was his own fault for buying as no one buys EVs out right, they should lease them and hand them back after 3 or 4 years

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Zico said:

Other halfs boss

Several years old now 

Battery has gone 

14k for a new one 

Basically got told it was his own fault for buying as no one buys EVs out right, they should lease them and hand them back after 3 or 4 years

And what do they do with those handed back? Sell them to folk who don’t yet know the Duracells are running out of juice?

1 hour ago, Zico said:

Other halfs boss

Several years old now 

Battery has gone 

14k for a new one 

The future’s bright!