Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Glastonbury 2023

Zico

22 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Absolutely awful. And I don't just mean the ultra-contrived "quirkiness" of Cate Blanchett's appearance and performance. Everything about this is genuinely fucking dreadful.

Look at me Im crazy.

Music for middle class bozoz.

1 minute ago, gonzo said:

Look at me Im crazy.

Music for middle class bozoz.

Let's all singalong to Oasis then.

I like pop music to do something else. I like the Sensational Alex Harvey Band, I like Sparks, I like Kraftwerk, I like folk who do things differently.

I hate the fact that if it's different it's somehow considered elite.

I hate boring meat and veg rock.

I love fun, new and engaging pop music.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Let's all singalong to Oasis then.

I like pop music to do something else. I like the Sensational Alex Harvey Band, I like Sparks, I like Kraftwerk, I like folk who do things differently.

I hate the fact that if it's different it's somehow considered elite.

I hate boring meat and veg rock.

I love fun, new and engaging pop music.

Fair enough, I get that folk like different music or versions of genres but I was commenting on that set and it was shite imo.

Anyway, still can't be worse than Arctics

1 minute ago, Not in Crawley said:

Again - go back and find out about their music.

Why do we have to?

That on that stage right there in front of my eyes was fucking awful mate.

It looked like some kind of arts club trying be whacky on a bandstand down the local park. 

Why do we have to read the history of pop music or listen to their back catalogue to asses that that they sound fucking awful right there.

Each to their own obviously

1 minute ago, Winchester White said:

Fair enough, I get that folk like different music or versions of genres but I was commenting on that set and it was shite imo.

Anyway, still can't be worse than Arctics

Well as Lemmy always said, there's only two types of music, the stuff you like, and the stuff you don't.

I think that's probably the best way to think of it.

2 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Well as Lemmy always said, there's only two types of music, the stuff you like, and the stuff you don't.

Think you need to take a leaf out of his book tbh

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

"...but if you enjoyed Rick Astley's light-hearted Glastonbury cameo, you're a thick uncultured pleb"

5 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Why do we have to?

That on that stage right there in front of my eyes was fucking awful mate.

It looked like some kind of arts club trying be whacky on a bandstand down the local park. 

Why do we have to read the history of pop music or listen to their back catalogue to asses that that they sound fucking awful right there.

Each to their own 

Well, in the same way that everything has context and comes from somewhere.

I don't see pop music in a different way as art or theatre or any cultural creative thing.

I love the visceral drive of Oasis's first album, the diamond pop of Sound of the Underground, the way at 13 I could t stop having Nevermind on repeat.

But, I enjoy music both emotionally and in what artists aim for. It's not all about the heart. I like things that make me seek out other things.

1 minute ago, Cheese said:

"...but if you enjoyed Rick Astley's light-hearted Glastonbury cameo, you're a thick uncultured pleb"

No, not at all.

It's not for me and I was being a bit facetious.

That's my annoyance. I'm not elitist. But if some artist does something different they are called middle class wankers.

That's proper elitist. And moreover is dull.

1 minute ago, Not in Crawley said:

Well, in the same way that everything has context and comes from somewhere.

I don't see pop music in a different way as art or theatre or any cultural creative thing.

I love the visceral drive of Oasis's first album, the diamond pop of Sound of the Underground, the way at 13 I could t stop having Nevermind on repeat.

But, I enjoy music both emotionally and in what artists aim for. It's not all about the heart. I like things that make me seek out other things.

I get what you mean but live shows are to entertain the crowd right there.

Take the arctics for example. I saw them the other week and they played pretty much the same set at glasto.

I can see what they are trying to do, they are miles more than just a rock and roll, lager lout singalong band, but without the latter, its just shit and boring and the crowd hate it.

A live show to me is face value. Especially on that magnitude.

Rick Astley put on a great show, his music is shit and soulless though.

All depends what your after.

10 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

I enjoy music both emotionally and in what artists aim for. It's not all about the heart. I like things that make me seek out other things.

Is this why you like Def Leppard then? 😁

They've always made me seek other things out. Like a different band! 😉

1 minute ago, gonzo said:

I get what you mean but live shows are to entertain the crowd right there.

Take the arctics for example. I saw them the other week and they played pretty much the same set at glasto.

I can see what they are trying to do, they are miles more than just a rock and roll, lager lout singalong band, but without the latter, its just shit and boring and the crowd hate it.

A live show to me is face value. Especially on that magnitude.

Rick Astley put on a great show, his music is shit and soulless though.

All depends what your after.

Me and Kent watched Sonic Youth at Glastonbury. It was shit and we both loved them.

My thought is that it's become a highlight hit heavy blast it out of the park thing.

I don't think it ever was that before. Its full of folk paying a shit ton of money to party and have a good time (nowt wrong with that at all)

But if it now is that, stop pretending it's anything else. I personally wouldn't pay that sort of money to have Rick Astley play drums to ACDC.

Also, some bands are great in that space, others are better in smaller places. It's not a competition.