Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Derby County (H)

Zico

39 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I wonder if anyone considers us a bogey team?  West Ham in the Prem days definitely.

In this league we always beat Lincoln, Fleetwood and Shrewsbury at home.

Only other one I can think of is Charlton, can't remember ever losing many to them, aside from them relegating us in 83.

Grimsby had an awful run against Bolton until winning one in the 4th Division, same as Port Vale.

Struggling against Wigan, Burton and potentially Derby would be just too goddamn predictable.

Come one whites, time to change the usual script. I truly believe on our day we're one of the best sides on the league, and a better footballing side than Derby whatever that may mean.

Time for us to show up now, no excuses.

Big game, not season-defining but after it we don’t have another league game until 16th September. And the two league games after this are hard ones too.

We got off to a brilliant start this season, which was scuppered by defeat to Wigan, compounded by a lacklustre draw with Burton and then losing to Boro has now put us on a 3 game winless streak. It’s not awful form but need to build our momentum back up to how it was post-Fleetwood.

Could do with the 3 points for confidence, otherwise I fear a loss will leave us with 2 weeks of disheartened fans and players and probably more abuse of the players with drama and overreaction which is no good for squad morale.

As Lostock says we need to flip the script on this sort of game. Save for Sunderland (H) and Plymouth (PJT) we’ve had some disappointing results against the big teams in league one. 

I am hopeful but expecting another draw 1-1 

14 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Still loads of tickets left 

guess casual fans won’t pay top prices unless we’re winning 

Tbf casual fans paid out top dollar for our last home game. No surprise low take up for this. 

23 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Take this as light hearted in the right spirit....but you had that Wigan were going to be put back in their box, and that if we couldn't beat injury ravaged bottom-of-the-table-for-a-reason-Burton we don’t deserve to consider ourselves as realistic contenders 😆  We didn't deserve to win either of those but now you're expecting to beat Derby who are the in-form away team of the division not to mention one of our bogey teams?  

I hope we beat them or at least a good game and a draw, but I'll see what Saturday throws up.  As you say, things can go right or wrong on the day, it doesn't always have to be built up as a season defining game.

I'll start worrying the day you predict anything other than a win - truth is, none of us have a clue!

Ha, better to be optimistic than the other way JR but I take your point about Wigan and Burton although I thought we should have beaten Burton on our second half and despite their being much better than I gave them credit for. For Saturday though I genuinely think we’ll be too good for Derby if the players turn up which I think they will. As you say none of us know how it will go but rightly or wrongly I do have confidence that we’ll bounce back. 😉

19 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Re bogey teams: We still have unfinished business with Sutton Utd.

One of only three teams we've played more than once and never won (the others being Marseille and Sporting Lisbon)

Always hoping to get drawn against Sutton in a cup game.

That must have been before my time.  But I saw us beat Sutton Coldfield in 1992 in the FA Cup.

4 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Ha, better to be optimistic than the other way JR but I take your point about Wigan and Burton although I thought we should have beaten Burton on our second half and despite their being much better than I gave them credit for. For Saturday though I genuinely think we’ll be too good for Derby if the players turn up which I think they will. As you say none of us know how it will go but rightly or wrongly I do have confidence that we’ll bounce back. 😉

Fair enough, hope you're right.  I don't have a clue how good Derby will be as I haven't even seen them, even on TV, since December, I just want us to play to our maximum like we did against Lincoln, and nothing like we played 2 weeks ago. 

Hoping for 2 things compared to that game:  That we mark/watch opponents at corners rather than just crowding the 6 yard box ball watching.  And that the ref is strong enough to give cards for the types of challenges Wigan got away with (not saying that's why we lost BTW, but it contributed to that 1st half hour).

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Mantra said:

Could do with the 3 points for confidence, otherwise I fear a loss will leave us with 2 weeks of disheartened fans and players and probably more abuse of the players with drama and overreaction which is no good for squad morale.

Big game and not season-defining, is a very hard sell to the neg-heads. Because as you quite rightly point out they won’t be able to handle the two week break.

To be honest I don’t think I could 🤣

I think a social media break would be incoming for me if we lose Saturday.

Edited by desperado

1 hour ago, desperado said:

Big game and not season-defining, is a very hard sell to the neg-heads. Because as you quite rightly point out they won’t be able to handle the two week break.

To be honest I don’t think I could 🤣

I think a social media break would be incoming for me if we lose Saturday.

We both know you’d be back on Tuesday assuring us a win against Salford could be the season-turning confidence booster the team needs 😀

• Site Supporter

Baxter 

Jones.  Forrester  Toal

Cogley.         Sheehan.          Williams 

Dempsey.  Maghoma 

Adebeyejo           Charles.   

Hard one to predict Saturday. Both WBs will come back in. As will Dempsey.  Charles/Vic is the favoured partnership up front. The rest is tricky.

Despite their poor form don’t think he’s dropping both Jones and Iredale. Jones probably stays for experience/leadership/captaincy, then possibly Forrester in the middle with Toal (who did well at LCB last year) next to him if fit.

It really could be any combination of 2 with Dempsey in midfield. But just my opinion that Sheehan and Maghoma deserve a start together, I think that could be a nice combination in the midfield that has qualities we need to get a grip and dominate the middle of the park against Derby.

13 minutes ago, desperado said:

Baxter 

Jones.  Forrester  Toal

Dempsey.  Maghoma 

Hard one to predict Saturday. Both WBs will come back in. As will Dempsey.  Charles/Vic is the favoured partnership up front. The rest is tricky.

Despite their poor form don’t think he’s dropping both Jones and Iredale. Jones probably stays for experience/leadership/captaincy, then possibly Forrester in the middle with Toal (who did well at LCB last year) next to him if fit.

It really could be any combination of 2 with Dempsey in midfield. But just my opinion that Sheehan and Maghoma deserve a start together, I think that could be a nice combination in the midfield that has qualities we need to get a grip and dominate the middle of the park against Derby.

Agree with that line up if Santos is out

1 hour ago, desperado said:

Baxter 

Jones.  Forrester  Toal

Dempsey.  Maghoma 

Wouldn’t play Toal on the left but agree generally with the selection