Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Francis Lee

gonzo

• Members
13 hours ago, Zulu said:

Great memories. RIP Franny. 

This. Back heel  over the goal line (at the bouncy end of Deepdale) sticks in the mind with angry at the piss take defenders rushing at him with steam coming out of their ears. For a bog roll entrepreneur, all class that lad.

RIP Franny. True BWFC legend.

• Members
8 hours ago, FrancisFogarty said:

There was them two, Syd Farrimond, Warwick Rimmer, John Hulme, Johnny Byrom, Wynne Davies and more around about the same time. Characters every one.

Aye mate. Add in Bryan Bromley and the imperious Eddie Hopky.

• Site Supporter

Just looking at his Wiki page. Apart from two conflicting played/scored stats, I didn’t know he was the first England player to receive a yellow card in a game; for kicking Brazil’s goalkeeper.

Frannie Lee was a fixture in the fabulous Wanderers team I cut my teeth on and he was a goal machine. Yes he was a diver - but a very convincing one and my dad used to reckon Lee could be tripped on the halfway line and land on the penalty spot. Fabulous shot on the man and he was the absolute antithesis of "shot-shy" as he'd let one fly at every opportunity which did frustrate some folk but was joyous when they went in.

Gutted when we sold him but our old school Victorian owners at the time didn't treat him very well by all accounts and he was glad to leave.

RIP and thanks for the great memories.

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I don't need to, I've heard it referenced many times, just makes me laugh.  I've seen pictures of turnstiles from the same era with the prices shown as "Boys" rather than juniors.  Different times is an understatement.

Not half, yet no one made anything of it, and if a lass wanted to go, she wouldn't have been refused entry.

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Not half, yet no one made anything of it, and if a lass wanted to go, she wouldn't have been refused entry.

My gran was telling me how she used to go to burnden in her teens and 20s.. would have been the late 40s early 50s.