Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Burton (H)

Wanderlust

23 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

That would seem bizarre, for anyone that's struggling for cash watching the 2nd half for free seems very tempting!

I do remember the gates being opened with maybe 10 minutes plus to go in the 80s and 90s, sometimes if I was in a rush to get away I'd exit the Burnden Paddock around 80 minutes and jog up behind the Lever End and watch the rest in there.Ā  I remember getting in the Lever End just in time to see Jim McDonagh's kick v Carlisle sail into the net, I'd have missed it if I'd delayed 30 seconds.Ā  (40 years later our keeper virtually did the opposite, handing Carlisle their 3rd goal around the same stage of the game!)

Yeah, don't know about it being the full second half but my old man used to come and pick us up as kids in the 90's on the days he's couldn't make the game himself. He always said he just walked up the steps at the burnden terrace (lever end corner) to catch the last 20 mins as the gates were open.Ā 

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

That doesn't make a lot of sense.

Besides buggering season ticket holders about, there are logistical changes that would be required in terms of managing away fans and the away car park.

Not this season obviously,but in the future Ā with police advise if the fans wanted it maybe it could happen. When we get promoted I think Ā theyā€™ll be even bigger gates than our 21 k average and giving the whole of the south stand away to the opposition is a huge advantage to them ie Carlisle. That will just what we need a full end of home support . Can you make any sense out of that jacket ?

• Site Supporter
36 minutes ago, lofthouse said:

Not this season obviously,but in the future Ā with police advise if the fans wanted it maybe it could happen. When we get promoted I think Ā theyā€™ll be even bigger gates than our 21 k average and giving the whole of the south stand away to the opposition is a huge advantage to them ie Carlisle. That will just what we need a full end of home support . Can you make any sense out of that jacket ?

No.

Makes no difference where you site the away fans. Generally away fans are noisier, just how it is.

Would almost certainly result in a lowering of capacity too.

Still has a logistical issue.

A singing section has often be mooted on here: that would probably be the best way to approach a perceived lack of atmosphere. Maybe even these safe seats that are being trialled elsewhere too.

I think the stadium has been designed in such a way as to purposefully accommodate away fans in the south stand, and I can't see any way that the club would change it.

41 minutes ago, lofthouse said:

You just go and have a nice lie down. There's a good lad.

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

No.

Makes no difference where you site the away fans. Generally away fans are noisier, just how it is.

Would almost certainly result in a lowering of capacity too.

Still has a logistical issue.

A singing section has often be mooted on here: that would probably be the best way to approach a perceived lack of atmosphere. Maybe even these safe seats that are being trialled elsewhere too.

I think the stadium has been designed in such a way as to purposefully accommodate away fans in the south stand, and I can't see any way that the club would change it.

Didn't a number of teams move away fans from behind the goal to down the side?Ā 

Used to get away end at wolves behind the goal but now down the sideĀ 

Don't know if it makes a difference but sure a few did it

Ā 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Nowack said:

I have a vague recollection of turning up at burden when the second half started and the big gates would be open so you could just walk in and watch.Ā 

Had a mate who was a teacher and had to do parents evening the same night as wolves in the play offs in 95Ā 

He was never going to make kick off but turned up as soon as he could and was able to just rock up and walk in, in time for extra time, and managed to find us on the burnden terrace

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

That would seem bizarre, for anyone that's struggling for cash watching the 2nd half for free seems very tempting!

I do remember the gates being opened with maybe 10 minutes plus to go in the 80s and 90s, sometimes if I was in a rush to get away I'd exit the Burnden Paddock around 80 minutes and jog up behind the Lever End and watch the rest in there.Ā  I remember getting in the Lever End just in time to see Jim McDonagh's kick v Carlisle sail into the net, I'd have missed it if I'd delayed 30 seconds.Ā  (40 years later our keeper virtually did the opposite, handing Carlisle their 3rd goal around the same stage of the game!)

I donā€™t know about gates getting opened at half time but I remember them being open at about 20 minutes to go. I think that was more for the convenience of people getting out early than them getting in late.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Didn't a number of teams move away fans from behind the goal to down the side?Ā 

Used to get away end at wolves behind the goal but now down the sideĀ 

Don't know if it makes a difference but sure a few did it

Ā 

May well have done.

I just see our stadium having been very much designed for the purpose of having away turnstiles next to car and coach park.

Getting the majority of them away ASAP afterwards.Ā 

Ā 

• Site Supporter
Just now, FrancisFogarty said:

I donā€™t know about gates getting opened at half time but I remember them being open at about 20 minutes to go. I think that was more for the convenience of people getting out early than them getting in late.

Remember Newcastle when keegan went.

They packed the embankment and plenty were chucked out in the game.Ā 

They weren't happy at being beaten 3-1, and those ejected piled into the Manny road when the gates were opened near the end.Ā 

Bedlam.

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

May well have done.

I just see our stadium having been very much designed for the purpose of having away turnstiles next to car and coach park.

Getting the majority of them away ASAP afterwards.Ā 

Ā 

Leeds and Derby have done it as wellĀ 

Think Fat Sam, whilst not with us, said similar so they see value in itĀ 

So whilst it may not work logistically for us, teams do think it makes a differenceĀ 

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Leeds and Derby have done it as wellĀ 

Think Fat Sam, whilst not with us, said similar so they see value in itĀ 

So whilst it may not work logistically for us, teams do think it makes a differenceĀ 

Of course.

Environments around older grounds change over time, as do transport links, policing techniques, commercial opportunities, redevelopments etc. They wouldn't do it if it was injurious to them.

I can't see how it could increase revenue, but can see how it could decrease it. I reckon our capacity (or as near to it as possible) is achieved with a full away end, segregation at the narrower points and home sections full.

Splitting a stand surely increases seats lost to segregation.Ā 

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Of course.

Environments around older grounds change over time, as do transport links, policing techniques, commercial opportunities, redevelopments etc. They wouldn't do it if it was injurious to them.

I can't see how it could increase revenue, but can see how it could decrease it. I reckon our capacity (or as near to it as possible) is achieved with a full away end, segregation at the narrower points and home sections full.

Splitting a stand surely increases seats lost to segregation.Ā 

Derby is a 'new' groundĀ 

I'm talking about atmosphere, which was the original point, not revenue, policing etcĀ 

If away fans are behind the goal, their team is attacking the goal, the fans are getting well behind them then it doesn't make any difference compared to if they were put down the side?

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, DirtySanchez said:

Derby is a 'new' groundĀ 

I'm talking about atmosphere, which was the original point, not revenue, policing etcĀ 

If away fans are behind the goal, their team is attacking the goal, the fans are getting well behind them then it doesn't make any difference compared to if they were put down the side?

I'm confused.

If it doesn't change atmosphere, why change?

Even if it did, would the club risk revenue, because some games were a bit louder?

Nah, just can't see it.

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I'm confused.

If it doesn't change atmosphere, why change?

Even if it did, would the club risk revenue, because some games were a bit louder?

Nah, just can't see it.

You said it doesn't make any difference to the atmosphere as away fans are always louder

I just pointed out examples of teams who have moved them away from behind the goal as clubs realise there's an increase in atmosphere in the away end

Possibly from a psychological perspective of the team kicking to their own fansĀ 

I don't think the club would but the number of clubs who have moved away fans suggest there's something in it

Was never meaning from a revenue perspectiveĀ 

34 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Remember Newcastle when keegan went.

They packed the embankment and plenty were chucked out in the game.Ā 

They weren't happy at being beaten 3-1, and those ejected piled into the Manny road when the gates were opened near the end.Ā 

Bedlam.

Going off at a tangent, but that game in 82 was one of my favourites at Burnden, Keeganmania, huge crowd, 3-1 win (Henry 2, Reid).Ā  Just realised that a load of my favourite games have been against Newcastle.Ā  3-3 when MacDonald scored ridiculous goal, 4-0 (1980. Kidd hat-trick and highlights on ITV, 1-2 our 1st ever home game in Prem (Gudni equaliser, Ginola/Ferdinand/Beardsley class for them); Boxing Day 2002 won 4-3 (Gardner scored from 35 yards), 5-1 in 2010 when Elmander actually looked good.Ā  We haven't played them that much in last 50 years but they've given me some great memories.Ā 

• Moderators

Away end at Leeds has been the corner behind the goal, the whole end behind the goal, and now down the sideĀ 

Dunno whyĀ 

I seem to recall a yank villa owner moved their away end to from behind the goal to down the side because he wanted home fans on all sides of the groundĀ 

No idea with wolves as it was either half a stand behind the goal or the whole lower tier down the sideĀ 

There are loads that put away fans down the side or at best in the corner now.Ā  First time I went to Leeds, Boxing Day 1982, we were stood on the terrace at the side, with the seats behind the goal to our left.Ā  Whatmore equalised Arthur Graham's goal.

If you're an away team with a big away following of 4k plus, is there a better away end to go to than our's in the entire 92?Ā  Wigan and PNE possibly run it close, but I can't think of any others.Ā  It isn't a huge deal while we are in this tinpot division, but when we are back in the championship I'm convinced it will cost us a few points.Ā  Ā 

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

There are loads that put away fans down the side or at best in the corner now.Ā  First time I went to Leeds, Boxing Day 1982, we were stood on the terrace at the side, with the seats behind the goal to our left.Ā  Whatmore equalised Arthur Graham's goal.

If you're an away team with a big away following of 4k plus, is there a better away end to go to than our's in the entire 92?Ā  Wigan and PNE possibly run it close, but I can't think of any others.Ā  It isn't a huge deal while we are in this tinpot division, but when we are back in the championship I'm convinced it will cost us a few points.Ā  Ā 

Tinpot giving a full away end. We should put a supermarket on to manage itšŸ˜‚