Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

78 Years

desperado

• The title was changed to 78 Years

Mrs DE takes her dad and uncle, both 90 yo, to the sporting memories thing at the Reebok every month and the disaster was a point of topic there last time.  They were both there at the time, thankfully in the Lever End opposite but it was packed in there too and her uncle was carried over the crowd and deposited on the pitch.

He remembers the crowd was so close to the touchline, the linesman was having to run inside it and around stray spectators. 

RIP

On 09/03/2024 at 09:46, Cheese said:

Respect to Stoke for posting this.

Yes, well done Stoke. 

I'm disappointed that BWFC and the fans don't make a bigger thing out of this. Last year I went down and left flowers where the memorial book is located. Apart from mine there was an only one other bunch of flowers there. Nothing at the Nat statue. The flags at the front of stadium weren't even at half-mast. Shoddy on everybody's part.

8 minutes ago, Underpants said:

Yes, well done Stoke. 

I'm disappointed that BWFC and the fans don't make a bigger thing out of this. Last year I went down and left flowers where the memorial book is located. Apart from mine there was an only one other bunch of flowers there. Nothing at the Nat statue. The flags at the front of stadium weren't even at half-mast. Shoddy on everybody's part.

I respectfully disagree. Think we always handle it spot on year after year.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Underpants said:

Yes, well done Stoke. 

They hold an annual remembrance service. It's not the club's fault if the wider fanbase don't get involved. Flags at half mast would be a nice touch, but encroaching into grief-junky territory. As long as you did what you felt was required, that's all that matters. And every credit to you for doing so.

9 minutes ago, tomski said:

I respectfully disagree. Think we always handle it spot on year after year.

I don't want to go into a full out Scouse mode. God forbid. But flags at half-mast and fans putting some effort in would be nice. The first bite is with the eye and these individual outward expressions of remembrance are missing.

• Site Supporter
12 minutes ago, Underpants said:

I don't want to go into a full out Scouse mode. God forbid. But flags at half-mast and fans putting some effort in would be nice. The first bite is with the eye and these individual outward expressions of remembrance are missing.

Maybe people visited the memorial but couldn't afford to bring flowers to leave?

• Site Supporter

I don't remember the date. Doesn't mean I'm not aware of the events.

I don't make a pilgrimage to the ground each year, but I've read the list of names and places of residence of the victims on several occasions.

Whenever I walk past the book of remembrance in the window, I always glance at it, and there is a moment of solemnity and solidarity. 

Each to their own, but that is enough for me.

Maybe the flags should be put at half mast for the day, and each home match nearest to the date a moment of commemoration, but beyond that, no more is necessary.