Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Stevenage (A)

• Site Supporter

Trains booked Manchester- London Thursday return Saturday

Trains booked Kings X - Stevenage and back

Hotel booked central London

Theatre on Thursday evening *

Train back to Manchester via St Pancras and Sheffield

* If I know anyone who can sort out a couple of FREE or cheap theatre tickets it’d be appreciated.

2 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Trains booked Manchester- London Thursday return Saturday

Trains booked Kings X - Stevenage and back

Hotel booked central London

Theatre on Thursday evening *

Train back to Manchester via St Pancras and Sheffield

* If I know anyone who can sort out a couple of FREE or cheap theatre tickets it’d be appreciated.

That sounds a bit of a trek?!

Try signing up for Central Tickets for theatre tickets. Or send a dick pic to NiC, obviously. 

• Site Supporter
Just now, Leyther_Matt said:

That sounds a bit of a trek?!

Try signing up for Central Tickets for theatre tickets. Or send a dick pic to NiC, obviously. 

Central Tickets doesn’t sound as reasonable as a dickpic to NiC.

• The topic was pinned

For those of you who don't know Stevenage (and it's no surprise if you don't) - it's a really, really, really shit place for drinking, certainly the new town bit of it is. There is a distinct lack of pubs anywhere near the ground, in fact I can't think of one that's within a mile of the ground, and none between the train station and the ground (which is about a 1.5 mile walk)

There are quite a few decent pubs (and a Spoons) in the Old Town, which is about 0.5 mile walk or a couple of quid in a taxi (in the wrong direction, of course :)) - and I'd head there, and will be doing, and then get an Uber to the ground afterwards, that'll cost about a fiver.

I've heard there is a bar at the ground, but I've never been to it, and don't know if it allows away fans

I'd also possibly consider, depending which way you're coming on the train, drinking on one of the other towns......(if coming down the Peterborough line, then maybe get off at Biggleswade or Letchworth, and there are pubs very close to the station - and then either hop back on the train, or get a taxi (£20 from Biggleswade and £12/£15 from Letchworth)  -  if coming in by Car/Minibus, then definitely drink in Biggleswade, Hitchin, Baldock or Letchworth first

Edit: to add, at the Train station, there is a "leisure park" that has all the usual chains that you can probably get an overpriced drink in (Wagamamas, Hollywood Bowl etc) 

Also, a pub called "The Old Post Office" is right in the town centre, only a short stroll from the station, which is OK as well, as far as mass chain pubs go

Edited by Sweep

Piergianni looking like he'll be on the end of a 2-3 match ban - and subsequently missing our game - after a pretty fuckin shitty, deliberate off the ball hit on a Peterborough player last night. He's one of their pumped up dickheads who usually gets away with all sorts. 

So it'll be good if he's not available

12 minutes ago, Sweep said:

For those of you who don't know Stevenage (and it's no surprise if you don't) - it's a really, really, really shit place for drinking, certainly the new town bit of it is. There is a distinct lack of pubs anywhere near the ground, in fact I can't think of one that's within a mile of the ground, and none between the train station and the ground (which is about a 1.5 mile walk)

There are quite a few decent pubs (and a Spoons) in the Old Town, which is about 0.5 mile walk or a couple of quid in a taxi (in the wrong direction, of course :)) - and I'd head there, and will be doing, and then get an Uber to the ground afterwards, that'll cost about a fiver.

I've heard there is a bar at the ground, but I've never been to it, and don't know if it allows away fans

I'd also possibly consider, depending which way you're coming on the train, drinking on one of the other towns......(if coming down the Peterborough line, then maybe get off at Biggleswade or Letchworth, and there are pubs very close to the station - and then either hop back on the train, or get a taxi (£20 from Biggleswade and £12/£15 from Letchworth)  -  if coming in by Car/Minibus, then definitely drink in Biggleswade, Hitchin, Baldock or Letchworth first

A Stevenage fan I bumped into on the way back from Carlisle told me Our Mutual Friend is a good pub and near the ground. Not sure if they let away fans in though

1 hour ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

A Stevenage fan I bumped into on the way back from Carlisle told me Our Mutual Friend is a good pub and near the ground. Not sure if they let away fans in though

I've just been speaking to somebody who is a ST at Stevenage (he's also an ST at Arsenal....) - anyway, he recommended "Our Mutual Friend".........well, I say recommended, he actually said "You're better going to the Mutual Friend, it's quite near the ground, the beer is shit but it's cheap and the place is usually full of dicks getting pissed on Jaegerbombs" 😁 

2 hours ago, Sweep said:

Edit: to add, at the Train station, there is a "leisure park" that has all the usual chains that you can probably get an overpriced drink in (Wagamamas, Hollywood Bowl etc) 

Also, a pub called "The Old Post Office" is right in the town centre, only a short stroll from the station, which is OK as well, as far as mass chain pubs go

Not where you’d recommend a two-night stopover then? 🙃

2 hours ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Not where you’d recommend a two-night stopover then? 🙃

Stevenage, fucking hell no.......unless you're in the "old town" and that's OK

They have a Harvester at the other end of the Roaring Meg retail park which is opposite the ground. Probably better getting a few cans and drinking them on the precinct though. 

1 hour ago, JOGLER said:

Hitchin is good for pubs.

IMG_4602-Copy-scaled.jpg

Bit of a trek from the railway station if that's your preffered mode of transport. Baldock is good for pubs and access but if coming via London it's probably not worth it. Drink in KX and get the last direct train possible would be my advice. 

6 minutes ago, Ani said:

Their centre half that elbow the guy v Peterboro has been given a three match day 

He is their captain too.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/stevenage-captain-hit-with-retrospective-ban-for-violent-conduct-on-ricky-jade-jones-4557738

Ex Salford and Oldham. Not been any good when he’s played against us previously but must obviously be doing ok with them to be captain. Can’t do us any harm. 

On 14/03/2024 at 19:58, JOGLER said:

Hitchin is good for pubs.

IMG_4602-Copy-scaled.jpg

Hitchin is a fabulous little town, I lived there for a spell. Can't speak highly enough. The railway station is a good mile or more of walking from the rail station though.