Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Stevenage (A)

17 minutes ago, waffer cup 07 said:

Dear me. Is that because he has'nt be able to tell you the exact nature of injuries to key players and exactly when they will return.

His press conferences have changed from what was calm informative discussions to abrupt responses with no information whatsoever. 

19 minutes ago, waffer cup 07 said:

Dear me. Is that because he has'nt be able to tell you the exact nature of injuries to key players and exactly when they will return.

Does my head in mate. Pig headed, arrogant, big mouth etc etc. All ok when we are winning and winding up the opposition.

I think hes more invested than most and the pressure is probably getting to him. 

Just don't get why our fans base turns so insultive and angry at our own.

1 minute ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

His press conferences have changed from what was calm informative discussions to abrupt responses with no information whatsoever. 

You mean one did? One press conference where he shut the conversation down because he was absolutely fuming Dion had done his knee again whilst away?

He already kicked off about the international break and was called a moaning fucker and told to get on with it.

3 minutes ago, wakey said:

This 100%. Talk of mentality and leadership all comes down to management.

I know we've had injuries and fixture congestion, but imo how Evatt's handled it has been poor.

He should be relentlessly 100% positive.

Congestion should have been "a fantastic opportunity for the lads to gain some real momentum - we're footballers, we love playing games of football."

Injuries should have been " a great opportunity for the lads coming into the side", a chance to show off our squad depth.

None of it should have been "brutal", he should not have been lamenting lack of time on the grass, or saying we just need to get through to the international break, or look forward to when the pitches are better. 

All comes across as whining and excuses at a time when we need leadership.

I'm far from a knee-jerk get rid type of fan, but I really feel he's handled the last couple of months really poorly. 

Correct he looks beaten to me he as no answers only excuses brand Evatt is failing unfortunately. 

3 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Does my head in mate. Pig headed, arrogant, big mouth etc etc. All ok when we are winning and winding up the opposition.

I think hes more invested than most and the pressure is probably getting to him. 

Just don't get why our fans base turns so insultive and angry at our own.

Yes, he's human and shows emotion.

5 hours ago, radcliffe white said:

Said this coming back

looked so comfortable until that miss and we have laboured through since with the exception against Oxford & Carlisle

Not sure I agree, upto then the only away game at the current top 7 was Oxford (0-0).  And we'd already had those home defeats to Carlisle and Wigan, and at Reading, played poor at home to Northampton, drew at Burton.  Home form every bit as good now as its been all season.  Arguably the aways have been harder recently, 0-0 at Stevenage is as good a result as 0-0 at Oxford, 1-1 at Burton or losing at Reading.  Not a lot has changed, winning most games we expect to win, and not many of the others, and the odd stand out bad result.

• Site Supporter
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Stig said:

This is a good point tbh. Evatt looks completely spent and fed up. He needs to buck up before the play offs as his negativity can't be helping the team 

I like him and I still think, this season, he can get us to the Championship.

But I have to agree, I find it hard to see him having one persona with the media and a different one to the players.

Therefore, I equally find it hard to look beyond his demeanour having a negative influence on his squad. This is a worrying issue for me.

However, there’s a lot we don’t see/hear behind the scenes and, despite contrary opinion of his man-management, I think Evatt has a decent record of instilling togetherness, a squad bond, believing and bringing the best of players and going on good runs.

Yes, it’s been a poor 2024, and there’s lots of questions that need answering. But now is not the time to turn on the manager or players. There’s too much still to play for and still to achieve.

Edited by desperado

2 minutes ago, gonzo said:

You mean one did? One press conference where he shut the conversation down because he was absolutely fuming Dion had done his knee again whilst away?

He already kicked off about the international break and was called a moaning fucker and told to get on with it.

Well the majority are getting fucked off with the present form (excluding Oxford)

Blackpool, Wigan, Northampton, Exeter, Derby and Stevenage - 3 points ffs. We are throwing it away and IE is managing this. We pay £750000 for Collins and IE defends his poor start by saying we probably won’t see the best out of him until he has a pre season. We needed recruits that would have got us over the line.

Surely Gonzo you can’t be happy with recent performances and the shit he comes out with

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

he needed the advertising boards to keep him up swaying all over

Might have had a chance then 🤣. My upper hand is I can usually run away faster than most 🤣

2 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I see Williams wasn’t in the squad, was he injured again or just dropped? 

On the subject of LWBs, one positive of yesterday I thought was Ogbeta.

I think he's established himself as first choice.  Has definitely added something to the team with his attacking play and we could do worse than trying to get him back for next season.

1 hour ago, desperado said:

Fucking hell I was fuming. If I’d have stopped to engage in further conversation/confrontation it might not have ended well, probably for me rather than him, he looked a crackpot. 🤣

But honestly, calling Coleman shit and a wanker within earshot is the work of a madman. Coleman had a decent game as well! Not that that should have any bearing whatsoever.

These “fans” are up there if not top of the tree for negative things to moan about.

As @CSW will vouch for I needed some calming down after that! 🤣

Its shit to hear our fans behaving like that, especially towards Coleman who was as good as anyone yesterday and is doing what it says on the tin - standing in for our 1st choice keeper in L1.  I'm pleased for him he got another clean sheet yesterday by virtue of them missing the open goal, because some would have found a way to blame him for that.  

On another note, the sooner we can stop playing at these tinpot grounds where the nobhead fans are inches from the pitch, the better.  Most championship grounds will do a better job of drowning out the idiots.

1 hour ago, W.cramp said:

The same derby team that lost their heads against Northampton last week ?

They ain’t very good and very beatable, the away game at Derby highlighted this we bossed the game they hung in and then somehow managed to get a goal,  after that our flakiness again came to the fore and we never looked like we’d get back level.  it’s happened time and again all season. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

23 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Well the majority are getting fucked off with the present form (excluding Oxford)

Blackpool, Wigan, Northampton, Exeter, Derby and Stevenage - 3 points ffs. We are throwing it away and IE is managing this. We pay £750000 for Collins and IE defends his poor start by saying we probably won’t see the best out of him until he has a pre season. We needed recruits that would have got us over the line.

Surely Gonzo you can’t be happy with recent performances and the shit he comes out with

I'm as gutted as anyone mate, devastated we seemingly have thrown away what going to be an amazing season.

...but there's way more to it than Evatts persona and fans turning now is the last thing we need. 

Its all been a perfect storm for me. 5 forward players missing yesterday alone. Throw in the ability to dig deep,poor player performance, poor recruitment and its a total shit show. 

Evatt will obviously carry the can and rightly so but there's way more to this current state than his apparent poor management.

4 minutes ago, gonzo said:

I'm as gutted as anyone mate, devastated we seemingly have thrown away what going to be an amazing season.

...but there's way more to it than Evatts persona and fans turning now is the last thing we need. 

Its all been a perfect storm for me. 5 forward players missing yesterday alone. Throw in the ability to dig deep,poor player performance, poor recruitment and its a total shit show. 

Evatt will obviously carry the can and rightly so but there's way more to this current state than his apparent poor management.

That’s an over reaction, the injuries we’ve suffered are a large part of why we are where we are, we couldn’t replace the key players we’ve lost at a critical time of the season, plenty of our fans don’t like IE and couldn’t wait to jump on a bad run of games. I’m still pretty confident we will go up if we are back up to a full compliment of players. Here’s hoping. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper

31 minutes ago, desperado said:

I like him and I still think, this season, he can get us to the Championship.

But I have to agree, I find it hard to see him having one persona with the media and a different one to the players.

Therefore, I equally find it hard to look beyond his demeanour having a negative influence on his squad. This is a worrying issue for me.

However, there’s a lot we don’t see/hear behind the scenes and, despite contrary opinion of his man-management, I think Evatt has a decent record of instilling togetherness, a squad bond, believing and bringing the best of players and going on good runs.

Yes, it’s been a poor 2024, and there’s lots of questions that need answering. But now is not the time to turn on the manager or players. There’s too much still to play for and still to achieve.

Worries me if you're thinking this way mate, you're usually a glass half full sort.

FWIW, if we win all 6 we'll finish 2nd 😀.

Big ask but it's one game at a time.

3 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

That’s an over reaction, the injuries we’ve suffered are a large part of why we are where we are, we couldn’t replace the key players we’ve lost at a critical time of the season, plenty of our fans don’t like IE and couldn’t wait to jump on a bad run of games. I’m still pretty confident we will go up if we are back up to a full compliment of players. Here’s hoping. 

Other clubs have had to deal with injuries it’s about making sure you have the squad to deal with them, and for me especially in the forward department recruitment has been poor for a number of seasons now

7 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Other clubs have had to deal with injuries it’s about making sure you have the squad to deal with them, and for me especially in the forward department recruitment has been poor for a number of seasons now

Out 8 forward players we have 5 are injured. You just can't account for that I don't care what other clubs do.

2 of those 5 are first choice and had us flying.

Nobody in the world could have forseen Collins not being able to trap a bag of cement.

• Site Supporter
14 minutes ago, Greg_BWFC said:

Worries me if you're thinking this way mate, you're usually a glass half full sort.

FWIW, if we win all 6 we'll finish 2nd 😀.

Big ask but it's one game at a time.

I can’t deny I’ve not liked Evatts pre/post match demeanour this week. 

I like to think my usually positive take is a realistic one. As I said before, season is still alive, lots to play for.

The glass is at the half level teetering between half full/empty at the minute 😊.

Time for the journey back to Bolton now.

He is wedded to his possession game.

HIS 'possession game' includes tip-tappy, to & fro, for ages allowing opponents to regroup.

He gets very sulky when anyone questions that. Even just a bit.

It's been found out.

HE doesn't offer an alternative. Occasionally the players take one upon themselves.

They are a technically excellent bunch of players lacking, or not making enough of, a striker & a quality 'tough' midfielder.  They lack a robust mindset.

I dread to think how we'd cope in the Chamionship.

13 hours ago, frank_spencer said:

Don't have faith in this lot to win when the pressure is on. Every big game in recent years (pizza cup final aside) there's be no bottle or fight shown.

Barnsley away they showed bottle to come back 

Whether you're pro or anti the manager (seems a strange thing to say!) think we'd all agree that if he's to be 'found out' and potted, we'd rather it be in the championship than in league 1.

Common sense says get 100% behind them - we can have the Evatt debates in the summer if we're still in league 1.

9 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Out 8 forward players we have 5 are injured. You just can't account for that I don't care what other clubs do.

2 of those 5 are first choice and had us flying.

Nobody in the world could have forseen Collins not being able to trap a bag of cement.

Two seasons in a row we've spent very good money for this level on strikers who have immediately underperformed. If we don't go up, that failure in recruitment will be the single biggest reason. Over £1m on Vic, Collins and Dan.

Collins, Bod and Jerome have four goals for us this season. A past-it Dwight Gayle has three in less than a 10th of the number of appearances. 

But, having said that, someone had it right yesterday. I wouldn't have swapped our XI yesterday for Stevenage's, nor Exeter's or Blackpool's or Wigan's. We had the better players in these matches and didn't win any of them.

13 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

He is wedded to his possession game.

HIS 'possession game' includes tip-tappy, to & fro, for ages allowing opponents to regroup.

He gets very sulky when anyone questions that. Even just a bit.

It's been found out.

HE doesn't offer an alternative. Occasionally the players take one upon themselves.

They are a technically excellent bunch of players lacking, or not making enough of, a striker & a quality 'tough' midfielder.  They lack a robust mindset.

I dread to think how we'd cope in the Chamionship.

We've literally being playing long ball. 

Folk were moaning yesterday we needed to stop.