I'm currently in Australia 

I want to move here

I'm going to find out if I can

I’ll dig out some trifle recipes for you

1 hour ago, Zico said:

I want to move here

Do it. If you have any doubts because of parents, relatives etc. I’ll be happy to give advice. Hated it when mine said he was going but it’s been great for him and we are lucky enough to visit for long periods of time. 👍

2 hours ago, Zico said:

I want to move here

Brisbane? Join the Brits in Brisbane group on FB, folk are really helpful as this question gets asked all the time. I wanna move there what's the next step. Even if your job is not an obvious one on the skills shortage list there is usually a way probably via a migration agent. 

It will probably be expensive to get the visa and time consuming.  Hopefully you're under 45 too, much easier if so. 

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, jayjayoghani said:

Brisbane? Join the Brits in Brisbane group on FB, folk are really helpful as this question gets asked all the time. I wanna move there what's the next step. Even if your job is not an obvious one on the skills shortage list there is usually a way probably via a migration agent. 

It will probably be expensive to get the visa and time consuming.  Hopefully you're under 45 too, much easier if so. 

Aye Brisbane 

Am 47 in June 

Other half is 43 this year

Her dad is Chinese but been here for over 40 years

He knows immigration agents etc

Been to Sydney and thought it was ok but nowt special 

After 1 day in Brisbane I was ready to move here

Not sure I could handle their summers though, if this is autumn 

Brisbane's a very nice city, reminded me a bit of Perth actually. Feels really safe.

January and February are uncomfortable (air conditoning is essential) but other than that, a very good climate. "Winters" are beautiful. 

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, jayjayoghani said:

Brisbane's a very nice city, reminded me a bit of Perth actually. Feels really safe.

Aye, clean, safe, easy going, a place with a lot of potential for every member of the family

And sunny

27 minutes ago, Zico said:

Aye Brisbane 

Am 47 in June 

Loved it in Brisbane its such a great city, where are you staying? We stayed in South Bank area, loads of interesting things to see and do but heat was just so uncomfortable. 30 plus on Christmas day but humidity through the roof.

Couple of cousins have moved there and it has changed their lives, work life balance nothing like here.

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Loved it in Brisbane its such a great city, where are you staying? We stayed in South Bank area, loads of interesting things to see and do but heat was just so uncomfortable. 30 plus on Christmas day but humidity through the roof.

Couple of cousins have moved there and it has changed their lives, work life balance nothing like here.

Her family live in Cleveland, bout 40 mins from the city on the coast

Had a day in Southbank at the museum/gallery, man made beach and bars/restaurants, loved it

Did you go to Felons? One of the best pubs I've been too 

Spent a few days at Coolum Beach and round the sunshine coast 

Currently on the gold coast

I find some aspects of life here strange outside the city centre

There are no pubs and streets of shops you can just walk to 

There are only malls and mini retail parks 

And you have to drive everywhere 

And everywhere is at least a 20 min drive away 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Zico said:

Aye Brisbane 

Am 47 in June 

You could wear a vest when it’s very hot.

A nice, tight, white vest.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Spider said:

You could wear a vest when it’s very hot.

A nice, tight, white vest.

That's another reason why I'm moving here

So I can fit in 

It was either here or little Italy in new jersey

42 minutes ago, Zico said:

Her family live in Cleveland, bout 40 mins from the city on the coast

Had a day in Southbank at the museum/gallery, man made beach and bars/restaurants, loved it

Did you go to Felons? One of the best pubs I've been too 

Spent a few days at Coolum Beach and round the sunshine coast 

Currently on the gold coast

I find some aspects of life here strange outside the city centre

There are no pubs and streets of shops you can just walk to 

There are only malls and mini retail parks 

And you have to drive everywhere 

And everywhere is at least a 20 min drive away 

Ah one of the cousins lives in Cleveland, that's where we spent Christmas day! Agree on the strangeness though... they're preppers now 😂 pterodactyl sized fruit bats flying about as well, and the constant threat of tropical killer creatures.

I found the long drives everywhere and malls instead of shops quite a culture change, was even more of a thing in Perth that place just felt sparse in a lot of areas. Also many pubs with betting shops inside them?!

Felons was fantastic, that whole stretch of riverside in the evening what a place. Would also really recommend Valley Hops Brewing in Fortitude Valley, ace rooftop bar

https://valleyhopsbrewing.com.au/

On 13/04/2024 at 12:54, BobyBrno said:

Been in there many times. A friend of my lad actually saw the policewoman killing the knife man.

My brother lives just round the corner from said shopping center. According to my dad he had no idea it'd happened til my mum rang him to check he was ok.

I can only really talk about Sydney but it’s a combination of smaller districts, like small towns with everything within walking distance. Bondi Junction being an example. We stay in Randwick when we go. No car needed as public transport is good. Trouble is, it’s expensive to buy. 

I have stayed with friends in the suburbs though which is cheaper to buy/rent and that wouldn’t suit me. For the reasons given above. 

18 minutes ago, Winchester White said:

Maybe it's just me, but I like being able to walk to a shop, pub, post office, etc.

Sounds a bit like the US, nice for a holiday but not for me.

The city's are much like that my brother doesn't have a car these days just hires one (or get his work to) when he's going further afield. That said he lives in Sydney so everything is on his doorstep.

My mate who's a copper in Perth often whinges there's nothing going on but he's miserable bugger. Perhaps he needs to get himself a ride on Hairdryer and join Boltys old man Quadrophenia recreation club.

4 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

I can only really talk about Sydney but it’s a combination of smaller districts, like small towns with everything within walking distance. Bondi Junction being an example. We stay in Randwick when we go. No car needed as public transport is good. Trouble is, it’s expensive to buy. 

I have stayed with friends in the suburbs though which is cheaper to buy/rent and that wouldn’t suit me. For the reasons given above. 

Can't be far from my brother, not sure exactly where he's living as he's just moved into a new place after splitting up with his missus again. But Randwick and Coogee is his neck of the woods.

2 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

Can't be far from my brother, not sure exactly where he's living as he's just moved into a new place after splitting up with his missus again. But Randwick and Coogee is his neck of the woods.

It’s an ideal place to live. Close enough to the city but also the beaches. My lad did the Coogee Island swim this morning again. 2.5km. If you get the chance to go, do the Coogee to Bondi coastal walk. 👍

6 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Sydney is ace. Much preferred Manley to Bondi though. Must have been getting the ferry

Yep. Bondi is overrated but the most famous. The ferry ride to Manly when it’s rough is interesting.😊