Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

No need for surrender/munich/bombers chants

desperado

• Site Supporter

First of all can I say what a fantastic trip Marseille was. To watch BWFC away in Europe was just a dream come true. There were so many memorable experiences over the 2 days in Marseille, no more so than on Thursday morning when my dad and I decided to visit Notre Damm (that big building up in the heavens you could see from the old port)and walk away our hangovers from the night before in O' Malleys. On our way back, a good mile away from the old port area, as we were walking on the quaintest of French streets with the locals quietly chattering away, we heard a distant chant of WANDERERS WANDERERS WANDERERS! It was great!

It would be interesting to hear other peoples thoughts on this, but my personal opinion is that there are no need for chants that refer to death, war and tragedy which are occasionaly sung by bolton fans. The No surrender chant was adopted by the English hooloigans of the 80's and has little if no resemblence to football, less so BWFC. Munich chants serve no purpose, if anything numerous united fans like the chant because it enables them to tongue in cheek take the pi#s out of opposing fans for being so ignorant. And while the bombers tune wouldn't have offended the large majority of locals in Marseille, it would not be received too well elsewhere. What all 3 chants have in common is that they don't get behind the team or make reference to bwfc.

Lets stick to chants like "walking down the manny road" and others which motivate the team.

PS Enjoyed the local beer on tap in O' Malleys - Desperados. Can we get it anywhere in Bolton?!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my dad THE LEGEND and I decided to visit Notre Damm  

The No surrender chant was adopted by the English hooloigans of the 80's and has little if no resemblence to football, less so BWFC.

Welcome to WW , whoever you are ;).

Totally agree with you. The 'No Surrender' song especially pisses me off - and I used to watch Rangers as my second team!

But as many previous threads on WW have told, we at Bolton have a piss poor selection of songs that mention the team in them.

Maybe THE LEGEND can write us some #-o

Good shout - I'm not a fan of the 'German Bombers' song but its fairly harmless. However the "No Surrender" song really pissed me off - its got nothing to do with the club and its pretty irrelevent these days anyway.

We do have a shortage of songs to sing but thats no excuse for lame 2nd hand sectarianism. ](*,) ](*,)

the no surrender song might have been sung because we was in an irish bar :-k or maybe because the first bit is quite patriotic :-k wasn't there a link on this website to the irish bar before we went and on the home page there was a song that continuously shouted THE IRA.

argee it is a bit out of place at bolton games but were still english on foreign soil

anyway a group of us was nearly killed following the wanderers by an ira bomb. bbc building saturday night we stayed over our hotel same road about mile down was on the piss all round that area even heard the bomb well most of us did.

the ira song is deffo because it starts with keep st george in my heart keep me english.

At least it aint "go on home british soldier go on home, have you got no ragging country of your home......" which gets sung to me be IRA brian my housemate everytime were pissed

When the german bombers song was being sung in that square in Marseille, I wandered over to a young fan who was singing it & asked (tongue in cheek) "do you know where the runway is in Bolton"?

He looked at me with a very puzzled expression on his face, so i repeated the question, adding "for the Bolton RAF". He then replied "I think it's near the British Aerospace site".

Bless him!

as a part german, with my mother born in ramagen just outside of nuremburg, the RAF song is far from offensive. if more kids ask why they are singing it, then they might bother to listen in history lessons.

British history is being wiped out by the pc brigade.

as a part german, with my mother born in ramagen just outside of nuremburg, the RAF song is far from offensive. if more kids ask why they are singing it, then they might bother to listen in history lessons.

British history is being wiped out by the pc brigade.

Stop singing the chant? You sound like a paid up member of the PC brigade to me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.