Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The 'Buzz' is missing

Don't know if it's just me but I don't get that 'Buzz' feeling anymore when I got to the match, this is mainly at the Reebok. Our travels into Europe brought back the good old days of laughter, nerves and sheer excitement.

A few years back I was always looking forward to match day, having a laugh and a few beers, sitting in the edge of my seat. But, this has almost disappeared now and I'm left wondering what the hell is going on?

1 - It could be me who has finally fallen out with football (god forbid).

2 - The game has changed that much I don't appreciate what it is all about these days.

3 - The Reebok is a soulless place and enjoyment in Lostock is lost with travelling.

4 - I'm just to old for the malarkey and a boring old grumpy sod.

Discuss

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Supporter

not sure, i got more excited about (euro) games this season than i ever have been about any game before.

maybe if theres no euro games next season, the spark of regular games will return?

I used to have the same nightmare the night before any bolton game, it was that my dad forgot me it was awful!!!! i got so excited before games. I am only 23 and all the excitement seems to be gone i hope not for good. I will still go but i just dont enjoy it like i used to.

Maybe its the boring cuntswho go to the match now!

At Anfield yesterday some sad boring red ginger told me to ' SIT DOWN YOU PILLOCK' as we were trying to get some sort of atmosphere going.

Like most people i'd agree that im a pillock but to be told to sit down at the football off a fellow supporter is just a piss take!!

I agree with ST, for once. Althought price is now the main factor behind my frustration at top flight football.

PB

I agree the buzz has gone (came back for the UEFA). I think the reason is that we are no longer the underdogs, backs to the wall sort of thing. Being a wanderers fan was about us being not the best but scrapping. Little Bolton etc.

But now were a top 10 club (even top 6 poss) that spirit has gone, we now expect to go and win home and away. As compared to going to the match to see the whites, if we win great but we didn't expect it week in week out.

Its the same with the away games now, it seems to be less about the trip, beer, laugh and all about the 3 points/performance. Was a time when going away was the best bit of being a white. Its shite at many away games now.

• Moderators

posted about 4 years ago i thought we could be a uefa team

master bateman said i was wrong 8-[

also asked how long bolton folk would put up with being a 'coventry/everton'

ie mid table, bouncing around, never actually achieving much

well the time has arrived i guess

i think we all see down as the only route from where we are

no realistic chance of it getting much better

why theres such a shite atmosphere at away games, lord only knows

home games, fair enough, but away!!!!!

why go if you're not going to make it memorable?

• Moderators

We aint ever gonna win the premiership.

We have already beaten, united, arsenal, chelsea, liverpool etc.

We have already played in europe.

Things can only go downhill

The Reebok is shite.

Thats whats up.

Worrying thing is, it's not just Wanderers fans feeling this way.

Give it 20 years and there will be an 'alternative' league.

Fans from most of the clubs setting up their own sides (a bit like FC United).

Give football back to the working man and all these problems will be solved.

Maximum price of ??10-??15 per game.

Player wage cap.

Terraces.

Max number of foreigners 3 per team.

At least 3 players who have come through the ranks in each side.

Tell you what, if somebody set up a league based on those basic rules I would be very tempted!

The revolution will not be televised!!!!!!! (Although it might make it onto Tower FM)!

why go if you're not going to make it memorable?

"No great performance ever came from holding back."

??? Don Greene, motivational coach

As for why it's not as enjoyable these days, I dunno really...

I'm 27, so I started going in the 80's but don't really remember much until the late 80's and early 90's. I enjoyed it more then; but I was younger, more impressionable by us taking big away followings etc.

The better Bolton have done, the more apathetic I'm getting towards BWFC. I've been through spells of following us everywhere and on Sunday I couldn't be ??rsed. Money isn't a major issue at the moment as I'm a single bloke, but it simply came down to preferring to watch it in the pub with Zico and Gumbo. That would never have happened a few years ago.

At home games I sit bored for over half the games and in the motor on the way home in the traffic on the way to the motorway I do sometimes wonder if the enjoyment factor is worth it anymore.

It'd be better for me if I lived in Bolton and made it an all-dayer every week, like we did for the Utd game...which leads me to think it's the whole day that's the attraction, not the 90mins in the middle.

Having said that, my old man feels the same apathy - he's 55 went every game home and away for years and isn't interested in the booze up etc, so it can't just be that reason.

Personally, I echo the views that those on here have when they say they feel alienated by the club; there's loads of theories about football fans and most liken it to a tribal culture - you want to feel a part of something - be it with the other supporters or the club...I think that's being lost in general by Sky TV / post Euro96 fans making it not such an exclusive club (being a football supporter that is)...

Guest Stumpy

for me its the Reebok

The pre match meeting up for a few beers, has never really changed whether it be Burnden or the Reebok (apart from less trips into Bolton now)

But at Burnden what started out as 6 to 8 mates going to the match ends up with 40/50 lads all stood together having a laugh and a sing-song thats gone from the Reebok

Where as at the reebok the 6 to 8 mates that met up now become 4 in block B, 2 in block F and 2 in the opposite side

Mounts and a few more on here have said more than once about having a

Singing/standing/shouting what ever you wanted to say within reason section.

I'm the last person to be negative about watching the Wanderers because I'm up for every game. I know it's an addiction because I keep saying I'm definately not going to the next away match after coming home disappointed, and then as soon as I speak to one of the lads I say yes book me in.

Talking about the buzz that you get is very interesting because I have it in the morning of every game but it is nowhere near the same in the stadiums as it used to be. I get a bit paranoid inside the grounds these days with all the police and stewards watching, were I used to feel really relaxed and excited watching the match in the Burnden era (I know a lot of people don't like reading this shite about 'it was better in the olden days' but I'm only saying what I feel). It is seriously putting me off going before I get a petty banning order stopping me from watching the whites abroad.

I am trying to wean myself off BWFC slowly. At one time I wouldn't miss a game home or away including all pre-season friendlies and dodgy cup competitions.

I had a massive buzz going to the European countries and I think that I overdosed. I'm on a downer now and cold turkey may be the answer.

Going to more games doesn't make you more of a loyal fan that's a load of bollox. I admire the lads that prioritise their lives especially when we have found out what our European friends are paying for their match tickets compared to rip off England.

The thing that gets me the most is I never seem to to know what day we are playing and what time we play at , I used to have my Saturdays and Tuesday night (midweek games) planned , now I seem to be forever checking when we play and what time the bloody ko is ... its a pain in the arse .I mean you plan something then sky comes along and ragging moves it, plans up in the air ](*,) ](*,)

when it was crap and no atmosphere in the 80s all the lads who wanted the atmosphere and crack moved to the lever end to create an atmosphere, we were still a poor team but the 3 thousand or so in the lever end created an atmosphere that got the players going and we began to claw our way back up the leagues from that initial spark, it may be the time now for a similar move into the south stand where seats are always available you can sit with your mates get a song going and the bonus is your right in amongst the away fans so you can have a bit of friendly banter.

could it also be that we play boring football these days?????

fair point i think its deeper than that though. we dont seem to have any match day buzz at all. only the away euro games brought back any enthusiasm

when it was crap and no atmosphere in the 80s all the lads who wanted the atmosphere and crack moved to the lever end to create an atmosphere, we were still a poor team but the 3 thousand or so in the lever end created an atmosphere that got the players going and we began to claw our way back up the leagues from that initial spark, it may be the time now for a similar move into the south stand where seats are always available you can sit with your mates get a song going and the bonus is your right in amongst the away fans so you can have a bit of friendly banter.

=D> =D> In theory this is a brilliant idea.

It worked back then in the Lever End.

but I'm so pessimistic about the modern day game that I fear that the police cameras/stewards etc. etc. would spoil it. You are one of the old school passionate fans and you are not wanted anymore.

MOVE OVER singing, shouting standing fan......... WELCOME IN werthers, sit down, lets clap 'cos we've just scored brigade

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.