Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Citeh Are Chasing

Big E

We will see, there's not much loyalty in football when silly money starts to get thrown about

exactly. come play for us.

No

We will pay you ?180k a week

Where do i sign

Edited by Big E

Every footballer has his price.I can't see United not accepting ?135 million for Ronaldo.

More difficult would be persuading him to sign.

It's sad that football has got like this.Rich men just coming along and buying trophies and buying 4th Division clubs a place in the Premier League

It's time to stop it.

Hasn't it always been the case? Bob Lord's money made Burnley a force in the old First Division in the 1970's. The stakes are just higher now that's all.

I don't know the Bob Lord story but Burnley didn't win anything in the 1970s.Their last trophy was the league title in 1960 when there was a maximum wage to even things up

In the 70s medium sized clubs like Derby,Nottm Forest,Southampton and Ipswich won major trophies but did it with good managers and luck rather than the richest man in football buying up the most expensive players available.

Blackburn,Chelsea and now City will show that you don't need a good manager to beat United and Liverpool but you need a wadded owner.This is a sport and it can't be right.

Easy to sort if people in the game want to sort it.Automatic relegation for teams who spend over a certain % of their turnover

etc.

But then, eventually, you'll end up with 'the draft' where the best players are moved on each year, cant quite decide which would be worse!

In the 70s medium sized clubs like Derby,Nottm Forest,Southampton and Ipswich won major trophies but did it with good managers and luck rather than the richest man in football buying up the most expensive players available.

I would argue that those are the exceptions rather than the rule. From the late Seventies onwards, the league has been dominated by Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal. Chelsea are relatively new challengers. If anything, we may now have a more competitive league than we had before, it's just that teams outside the 'elite' group are just going to fall further and further behind without serious investment. Have you ever considered cashing in your programme collection and bank-rolling the club George?

• Members
But then, eventually, you'll end up with 'the draft' where the best players are moved on each year, cant quite decide which would be worse!

The draft is the future. That and the salary cap. Fooking insanity where we are now. Implosion on its way.

• Moderators

best thing is that we'll hopefully see liverpool implode

not sure how the salary cap can work

surely mufcplc buy a football boot manufacturer and pay ronaldo 3 milliona year to wear their boots?

why can't that happen?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.