Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Good Or Bad Idea?

fatolive

• Site Supporter

may well have been discussed before, but,

just had a conversation with someone, who, until today was on the dole for over a year, didnt even bother trying to get a job. Now, because last week was the anniversary of said dole-itus, the social has said if you take this job, you will get, as well as your wages, ?40 per week tax free from us, reduced council tax (as if your still kind of half on the dole), and if your still in employment 12 months from now you will recieve ?150 in Asda vouchers!

now, i have no way of verifying if this is true, so I was wondering a) if this is correct to start off with, b ) if true, is it a good way to get long term un-employed back to work or c) is it a piss take of all the people who have done nothing but work since they left school/ college etc, as no one reduces their council taxes or gives them asda vouchers?

ps, this isn't a go at anyone on the dole who is genuinley trying to get a job, more the people who stay on the dole when there are jobs out there.

Edited by fatolive

The whole system is wrong.

I was a self employed courier until July this year when I decided I couldn't continue the job due to the pain in my knees. I am currently awaiting keyhole surgery on my ligaments and cartilage in my right knee.

As a self-employed worker I am entitled to next to nothing, really.

I went to the Jobcentre to look for a job and at the registration interview, I was told and I quote:"If your wife works (which she does) then you'd be better off not working and put a claim in for tax Credits!

Where's my incentive to work?

As it happens, I'm still making enough money gambling to get by, and hopefully after the surgery in November I can get back to work.

Unless one of you need a desk jockey at your place!

The whole system is wrong.

I was a self employed courier until July this year when I decided I couldn't continue the job due to the pain in my knees. I am currently awaiting keyhole surgery on my ligaments and cartilage in my right knee.

As a self-employed worker I am entitled to next to nothing, really.

I went to the Jobcentre to look for a job and at the registration interview, I was told and I quote:"If your wife works (which she does) then you'd be better off not working and put a claim in for tax Credits!

Where's my incentive to work?

As it happens, I'm still making enough money gambling to get by, and hopefully after the surgery in November I can get back to work.

Unless one of you need a desk jockey at your place!

I'm looking for a cleaner !

Edited by Pablo

I honestly think we should virtually scrap the welfare state for all but the neediest of cases.

If you don't work,your benefits should be paid according to how much and how long you have paid into the system.

Pensions likewise, the government should pay a lump sum to enable the purchase of a private pension scheme - the more you've paid in, the more this lump sum would be.

The NHS should be virtually disbanded, but again a lump some paid ( how much would be dependent on how much you've paid into the system) to start a personal pension plan.

The welfare state was a wonderful idea, but it's been used and abused by people who've hardly paid anything in.

Rant over.

if you are "fit for work" and you choose not to, then assistance from the government should be in the form of vouchers and not cash. The vouchers should only be able to be accepted at specific state run shops - this will stop folk frittering their welfare away on luxuries that are not required. Vouchers should only be given on a daily basis, once the "unemployed" have done a minimum of 5 hours work in the community (time off can be given for job interviews)

At present, it's too easy for people to stay on the dole. Obviously, if people are not "fit for work" then something else would have to be worked out for them..............

I've just watched Jeremy Kyle. Good Lord, what is wrong with this country? None of the girls know who the father of their numerous offspring is, they're all on benefits and cans of cheap lager/alcopops, and seem obsessed with having facial piercings!

I will never watch it again, as it's done nowt but annoy me! :angry:

Anyway, must dash, Homes under the Hammer's on! :good:

Someone I know goes to work for 2 days a week, she does this as to cover 16 hours she needs in order to receive ?1600 a month in various benefits.

It makes my fookin blood boil it does.

That's more than some folk bring home after tax, outrageous

• Moderators

it winds me up that people can get away with it for so long

after finishing uni, and after being made redundant and being out of work for 3 months, I was actively looking for work but signed on as that's what I'm entitled to do

but after 2 signing on sessions they're on my back big time

"why've you not found work"

"am looking, got 3 interviews lined up but it's fierce, there's an IT recession at the moment"

"go for an interview here"

"it's a paper round, I'm a web developer"

"if you don't go, we'll have to consider stopping your payment"

"what about that chav who you were on first name terms with who was in the queue before me, is he going for this job"

"next"

job centres make me angry

• Site Supporter
That's more than some folk bring home after tax, outrageous

While I'm at it, I went to our kids t'other day (he's a Jeremy Kyle type), sat on his new 3 piece leather suite, watching Sky + on his new wall mounted 42" plasma, while he tells me about the houses he has been looking at. Because of the age/sex of his multiple offspring he is now entitled to a 4/5 bedroomed house. Guess what, neither of them work, while me and Doris are struggling with the bills/mortgage etc.

Fookin Grrrrrrrr

if you are "fit for work" and you choose not to, then assistance from the government should be in the form of vouchers and not cash. The vouchers should only be able to be accepted greggs

That's why they're always full of scrotes.

Only 2

If they are the same gender then why do they need more than 2 bedrooms? If there's one of each why do they need more than 3?

I presume you mean we are paying their rent and that we're not subsidising their mortgage. I apologise asking these questions about your kid but you did mention it. :pardon:

• Site Supporter
If they are the same gender then why do they need more than 2 bedrooms? If there's one of each why do they need more than 3?

I presume you mean we are paying their rent and that we're not subsidising their mortgage. I apologise asking these questions about your kid but you did mention it. :pardon:

The girl I know has 2 kids - dont know what her benefits are but I know she clears 1600pm.

My brother has 4 kids, 3 girls aged 12, 6, 4 and a boy of 6 months. Eldest is now entitled to her own room, middle 2 will have to share and youngest will get his own room. We pay his rent etc and I dont know how much he gets benefits wise but they have much much more disposable income than me and Maud, hence the new suite and plasma tele.

• Site Supporter
Barry, don't be disheartened. It must piss you off, I can imagine, but you know we all know you're a good lad. :good:

Actually, I'm not sure that's a good thing. :blink:

I cant decide if they are no good sponging scrotes though or are they no different to Traf (sorry Traf)

He has a thread on risk free gambling, he knows the system, the loopholes and how to exploit them. They are basically doing the same.

I've had a think and no good sponging scrotes it is :good: