Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton Wanderers With A M Postcode!

with all the hoo har of the Farnworth sorting office closing and our post being sorted in Manchester - one thing has been overlooked and it has been officially announced by the Post Office..... the BL postcode is also disappearing and being replaced by M postcode. (Monday's Manchester Evening News - also OM and SK postcodes are being replaced by M)

This means that Bolton will be a part of Manchester - just like Wogden!!!

This I do not like! Firstly I was born in Bolton, Lancashire and not Bolton, Greater Manchester. I have grown up in a town with a separate identity from Manchester - helped with a BL postcode.

Now not only will I be part of a larger Manchester but my beloved team will also have a Manchester postcode - NO!!!! The M postcode can be okay for the Red scum and for the Citeh's but for Bolton Wanderers - it is sacrilege!!!

Is there any way this can be stopped? I do not want to be associated with the Red scum - EVER!!!!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Site Supporter

A post code is just that, a post code. I don't know if what you are saying is true or not but it really isn't an issue. People who live in the Rochdale area have a OL (Oldham) postcode yet they still live in the physical boundary of County Lancashire and Oldham is in the metropolitan borough of greater manchester.

A post code is just that, a post code. I don't know if what you are saying is true or not but it really isn't an issue. People who live in the Rochdale area have a OL (Oldham) postcode yet they still live in the physical boundary of County Lancashire and Oldham is in the metropolitan borough of greater manchester.

Greater Manchester consists the towns of (and Borough/City Councils)....

Wigan - Wigan MBC

Leigh - Wigan MBC

Bolton - Bolton MBC

Bury - Bury MBC

Rochdale - Rochdale MBC

Oldham - Oldham MBC

Ashton - Tameside MBC

Hyde - Tameside MBC

Stockport - Stockport MBC

Salford - Salford CC

Altrincham - Trafford MBC

Trafford - Trafford MBC

Manchester - Manchester CC

(although some of the above towns are actually part of other (i.e. Leigh and Wigan, Altrincham and Trafford)

Therefore what you say is, unfortunately, inaccurate as Rochdale is NOT in Lancashire but is still a part of Greater Manchester since 1974.

Sorry for my passionate argument but I am well and truly Bolton proud and do not want to be associated with Manchester at any costs - we are our own town with our phone STD code so why can we not have our own postal code and keep our own truly unique identity?

• Site Supporter
I lived in Daisy Hill, Bolton post code with a pie eating phone number, now live in Hopwood OL postcode and a Rochdale phone code :blink:

Your phone number is just tied to the nearest exchange; in Blackrod, the eastern side has a wigan number, the middle a bolton one and the west a chorley one. It's not exactly a big village either.

NB, I take it you live down near the Horwich/Anderton border where there is a bit of a dispute between councils as to what bit is what? Why that is I don't know as it's pretty bloody clear but the diversion of the river douglas gives both sides a bit of a cop out.

I lived in Daisy Hill, Bolton post code with a pie eating phone number, now live in Hopwood OL postcode and a Rochdale phone code :blink:

Try Bradley Fold with a Bolton phone number, M post code (although I never used it), and paying council tax to Bury, and officially coming under Radcliffe (I know its still part of Bury MBC)

Now that is confusing!!! :blink:

• Site Supporter

Wigan - Wigan MBC

Leigh - Wigan MBC

Bolton - Bolton MBC

Bury - Bury MBC

Rochdale - Rochdale MBC

Oldham - Oldham MBC

Ashton - Tameside MBC

Hyde - Tameside MBC

Salford - Salford CC

Trafford - Trafford MBC

(although some of the above towns are actually part of other (i.e. Leigh and Wigan, Altrincham and Trafford)

Therefore what you say is, unfortunately, inaccurate as Rochdale is NOT in Lancashire but is still a part of Greater Manchester since 1974.

Sorry for my passionate argument but I am well and truly Bolton proud and do not want to be associated with Manchester at any costs - we are our own town with our phone STD code so why can we not have our own postal code and keep our own truly unique identity?

OK fair enough, but by your argument Bolton and Rochdale are already in Manchester, no? Why does a post code make any difference then?

• Moderators

Wigan - Wigan MBC

Leigh - Wigan MBC

Bolton - Bolton MBC

Bury - Bury MBC

Rochdale - Rochdale MBC

Oldham - Oldham MBC

Ashton - Tameside MBC

Hyde - Tameside MBC

Salford - Salford CC

Trafford - Trafford MBC

since greater manchester council no longer exists, there isn't a true county of greater manchester

all the boroughs are unitary authorities

you claim to be passionate about it, but accept the term 'greater manchester'

well, i don't

born in lancashire, live in lancashire

OK fair enough, but by your argument Bolton and Rochdale are already in Manchester, no? Why does a post code make any difference then?

Bolton and Rochdale are not in Manchester - they are in the County of Greater Manchester - a political county set up by the government of the time in 1974.

What is going to happen now is that these two unique towns are being slowly taken over by Manchester.

Correct me if I am wrong but Manchester is NOT our neighbour (same goes for the towns of Rochdale and Wigan) as we all have another MBC/CC inbetween us and Manchester.

For me it is the thin edge of the wedge to total takeover by Manchester CC.

I do not want me or my beloved whites to be assocaited or linked with (by being in the same postcode or whatever) Manchester United - EVER! and that is what will happen.

• Members

Agree wit lad. Mancunianisation by stealth. Little changes like this and, before you know it, they'll be trying to get us to talk with that whining nasal accent. Fcuk em - join the resistance.

I have been on a one man crusade since leaving in 1988. Always put 'Bolton, Lancashire' on letters and packages home. That'll teach em :roll:

• Site Supporter
since greater manchester council no longer exists, there isn't a true county of greater manchester

all the boroughs are unitary authorities

you claim to be passionate about it, but accept the term 'greater manchester'

well, i don't

born in lancashire, live in lancashire

Am I correct in thinking that the actual Counties of Britain did'nt really change much anyway when all these metropolitan boroughs were set up? It was just a council organisation thing, a bit like how Humberside was formed fom East Yorkshire, and we had Gtr Manc, Mersyside, etc?

Now all we need is Smiffs to tell us all how the government wasted loads of our hard earned on stupid fucking boundary changes in the first place! (not that I will be disagreeing by the way, next they will be twinning Adlington with fucking Chamonix...

• Site Supporter

I agree with him, said it before allready to much manc influence ceeping into Bolton and this will just give the c?cksuckers in our town who jump on the band wagon and support utd more ammunition when they say" well I have a manchester postcode so its my local team" and to dress like tw?ts.

having said that i thought this was quashed on here a bit ago when its was just the frank on the envelope that was going to say "MCR" and not the postcode?

• Moderators
Am I correct in thinking that the actual Counties of Britain did'nt really change much anyway when all these metropolitan boroughs were set up? It was just a council organisation thing, a bit like how Humberside was formed fom East Yorkshire, and we had Gtr Manc, Mersyside, etc?

Now all we need is Smiffs to tell us all how the government wasted loads of our hard earned on stupid fucking boundary changes in the first place! (not that I will be disagreeing by the way, next they will be twinning Adlington with fucking Chamonix...

http://www.forl.co.uk/

• Members

Humberside also took in the parts of Lincolnshire that are immediately south of the Humber.

As a 'county' it doesn't exist anymore but the police and fire brigade still carry the name and patrol the same area

• Site Supporter
Humberside also took in the parts of Lincolnshire that are immediately south of the Humber.

As a 'county' it doesn't exist anymore but the police and fire brigade still carry the name and patrol the same area

Exactly, just like there is a Mercer police force down south (im pretty sure its called that) which doesn't cover a specific area or county, in fact I dont even know where it does cover but I've seen it on telly!

• Moderators

Changing our postcode would save the Post Office NOTHING. It would however cost every single business in Bolton to change all their stationary etc. That could potentially cost millions. Even then, people will still use the old post code. So the Post Office would have to handle both, that would make things more difficult for them and cost them MORE MONEY.

In short, it's never happening. Still, don't let reasoned argument quell the hysteria.

Exactly, just like there is a Mercer police force down south (im pretty sure its called that) which doesn't cover a specific area or county, in fact I dont even know where it does cover but I've seen it on telly!

Would that be Mercia?

Warwickshire area.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.