Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Megson - Judge Me In January

Sluffy

Bolton boss Gary Megson has hit back at detractors by asking for his team to be judged in January

He said: "Up until about halfway - I would say 23 games - nobody knows what kind of season they are going to have.

"Everton did not get the best of starts last year but finished in the top six.

"Hull made a great start but needed to check out the result on the last day to make sure they stayed up.

"Halfway through last season Tottenham were in trouble, then spent ?50million in the transfer window and hey presto things improved a bit.

...and loads more here -

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11672_5503323,00.html

Fuck the other teams and do the talking on the pitch.

To use Tottenham and their ?50,000,000 raid on the transfer market as a validation for saving judgement is fuckin' stupid though.

This bloke really doesn't help himself!

Other teams performances last year are fundementally incidental. Hull were riding the wave of promotion bravadory. To me he's a plank for coming out with stuff like this.

But it is incredulous that 1 game into the season he feels the need to put out a pre-emptive disclaimer on a shite first half of the season.

Megson, please round up your boys and rally onwards.

White army!!!!!

• Moderators

what detractors are these exactly, internet forums and the like?

only thing I'd say is he says judge me half way then cites examples that half way means c?ck all as fortunes can change massively!!!

if you judged hull / spurs in january last season you'd have been proved massively wrong

I'll judge him after 10 games

same as when we were rock bottom and he took over

I will judge him when we start to play a bit of football (pass ,move score goals,) if we would just try and play a bit and get stuck in.

Give 100% then we wouldn,t need to judge anyone just support our team and be proud.... :drinks:

I will judge him on the performance he gets from the players on the pitch.

We debate the benefits/limitations of certain players or formations/style of play for evermore, thats part of being a football fan. However, usually after 90 minutes most of us are informed enough to know if the performance we have just witnessed was below, acceptable or above the level we would expect from that group of players.

Unfortunately in my mind Megson fails to acheive optimum performances from his squad on far too many occasions and I have had nearly 2 seasons to form this judgement I don't need another 4 months!!!

Isn't this just another excuse to drag out the judgement day on his regime similar to the ones used previously?

To paraphrase other well-known quotes or sayings: "When I took over we only had 5 points tha' knows." "I rescued this club single-handedly; no thanks to the fans, mind. I wish they would just piss-off" "I'm bloody brilliant, I am."

Hoping not to be judged until 5 months into the season is a tad optimistic in this game. Judgements will be made after every game, whether he likes it or not. :pardon:

Eddie Davies/Gartside sacked Sammy Lee 9 league games into the season,so Gary ought to be planning on getting points soon.

Its not a good mindset to be waffling on about how & when he will be jugded , he needs to get the team sorted .

Cards on table I am not a Megson fan although I dont condone the abuse he recieves which is obviously counter productive

& makes Bolton fans look like a bunch of dings,

That said sometimes his utterances are just mind boggling , lhe just needs to think about how he got the job in the first place .

I will hope to god that we go to Hull & get three points scabbily or otherwise , so GM can rest easy & not worry too much where he

will be after 23 games

If we don't pick up some points in the next 5 games then we have problems. Games 7-10 include Utd, Chelsea and Spurs.

He is coming out with all the excuses now. He can't really complain about lack of funds (Sunderland spent money etc) because he spent 3.5 mil on Steinsson and then drops him after he played 37 league games last season!!

He has had 4 transfer windows and has yet to buy an experienced attacking mid-fielder which we have been missing for ages.

Too much pressure on the defence due to lack of attacking options. 0-0 will be a good result.

• Site Supporter
If we don't pick up some points in the next 5 games then we have problems. Games 7-10 include Utd, Chelsea and Spurs.

He is coming out with all the excuses now. He can't really complain about lack of funds (Sunderland spent money etc) because he spent 3.5 mil on Steinsson and then drops him after he played 37 league games last season!!

He has had 4 transfer windows and has yet to buy an experienced attacking mid-fielder which we have been missing for ages.

Too much pressure on the defence due to lack of attacking options. 0-0 will be a good result.

drops him????

i thought he was ill.

only thing I'd say is he says judge me half way then cites examples that half way means c?ck all as fortunes can change massively!!!

Exactly! Phil Brown was next England manager last Christmas. By May he was lucky to still be in a job. Come this Christmas, he may well be looking for a new job.

drops him????

i thought he was ill.

:nea: the dummy was spat so he's in naughty corner

His permanent excuse is money. It's an obvious one to hide behind. When he does leave , which he will this season, it will be because we didn't match his ambitions and provide enough funds for the type of players he wanted.

Edited by Plums

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.