Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Darren Bent

Zico

• Moderators

what a silly boy

doesn't make sense as things stand league wise

but apparently he handed in a transfer request!

should be the end of sunlunds season though, given there's only him and gyan that score for them

I reckon Villa have a bargain.

Well done Monsieur Houllier for persuading him to move there, well done to Mr Lerner for making the money available.

Unless there's shitloads of cash in it, plus a relegation get-out clause, I don't see it as a good move for Bent.

Something's obviously gone on at Sunderland.

I reckon Villa have a bargain.

Well done Monsieur Houllier for persuading him to move there, well done to Mr Lerner for making the money available.

Unless there's shitloads of cash in it, plus a relegation get-out clause, I don't see it as a good move for Bent.

Something's obviously gone on at Sunderland.

He had his Car Smashed up, at his home !

Also, Spurs have a 20% sell on, so that might have puched the price up.

Lets be honest, Villa are a bigger Club than Sunderland, and have been in the top 7 the last 3 / 5 seasons, this season is a blip.

• Site Supporter

Even more confusingly - on the Sunderland message board, somebody has posted the same info twice and it has been pointed out by another poster that this is a 'Seb'.

My link

I thought that was just a Wanderers Ways thing?

believe it or not, i think your post is actually a seb too.

head fuck or what!

• Moderators

Even more confusingly - on the Sunderland message board, somebody has posted the same info twice and it has been pointed out by another poster that this is a 'Seb'.

My link

I thought that was just a Wanderers Ways thing?

noticed that a few years back when I went on there for something or other

may have posted it on here

not that that matters

According to a villa mate of mine lerner has cashed in some shares to the tune of 1.3 billion and is looking to sell his NFL club so he can concentrate 100% on villa. Don't know how true that is but if it is I don't think it will be the last player in!!!!

• Moderators

Again according to the social network site begiining with a T, Downing is a target for the Scousers, the red half, so that may be reason for aquiring Bents services.

I heard the merry go round goes as follows:

Ashley Young to Liverpool

so Bent can go to Villa

so Michael Owen and NZogbia can go to Sunderland

• Moderators

From The Fiver:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jan/17/darren-bent-the-fiver

There was astonishment today when a quite good club offered to spend quite a lot of money on a quite good player. Consensus was that the mooted ?18m they are waving in the direction of Sunderland's bankers in the hope of luring Darren Bent Midlandswards represents "a lot of money for Aston Villa", as if money takes on a different value depending on the identity of the spender. By that logic, it would take Manchester City, say, about ?50m to outbid Villa, but both clubs would be emphatically outspent if, say, the Dog & Duck in Wellingborough offered a couple of grand.

As it happens, 18 is an important number for Darren Bent, because it is also - when viewed in a mirror - exactly the number of league goals he has scored since the summer of 2005. Those 81 strikes amount to more Premier League goals than any human on earth except Wayne Rooney and Didier Drogba, who both play for much better teams and are only a single goal better off anyway. Frankly, the statistics are fairly promising - but even if 128 league goals in 261 career starts suggests Villa shouldn't worry too much either way, is Bent really worth ?18m? The Fiver investigates.

? James Milner cost Manchester City ?24m. Darren Bent is a more effective player than Milner. Bent is cheap.

? Lionel Messi cost Barcelona nothing but a few doctors' bills. Messi is a more effective player than Bent, who will probably cost Aston Villa some doctors' bills too at some point. Bent is expensive.

? You're only as good as the players around you. Bent is more expensive than any other Villa players, yet is only as good as them. Bent is expensive.

? Denilson cost Real Betis ?21.5m, and that was in 1998, 13 years of rampant inflation ago. And he was rubbish. Bent is cheap.

? Bent is worth extra money because not only does he score a goal every other game but he is also English, and would therefore qualify as a home-grown player under Uefa regulations. This would be important in the extremely unlikely event of Aston Villa qualifying for European competition (and also signing lots of foreign players, because frankly they've got loads of home-grown talent at the moment). Bent is cheap.

? Kevin Phillips also scores a goal every other game and he is also English, yet in his entire career he has been the subject of a cumulative total of just over ?5m in transfer fees. Bent is expensive.

? Bent may very well be good at his job, but will only be asked to perform a maximum of twice a week. A decent toaster is good at its job and may well be used every single day, and you can get one from Argos for about a tenner. Bent is expensive.

The Fiver regrets to inform readers that its in-depth investigation has been inconclusive.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.