Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Fifa Block England Wearing The Poppy

gonzo

Tough subject this.

I can completely understand why people get angry and upset by FIFA's ban... but I can also understand why FIFA have done it.

If they allow us to wear poppies on our shirts then, hypothetically what would stop the Irish from putting something on their shirts to 'honour' past fallen IRA members. After all, some Irish would argue that they were soldiers.

By allowing statements about war/politics on shirts just opens the door for all kinds of shit in my opinion.

There are plenty of ways the dead can be honoured without having to have a poppy on our kit.

But we're England!

The rules shouldn't apply to us, well that's wot the Sun sed.

• Members

Get the crowd to hold up a big mosaic of a whole field of poppies all around the stadium as the national anthem is played. There are no rules against that.

Not a bad idea that actually, or certainly something along those lines - but everyone hold them aloft during the minute silence.

We've seen them do it before to mark out the cross of St George, so to do soemthing that looks like a poppy can't be too hard.

Things I have heard on the radio in the last 24 hours about this :

Lets do it anyway, what will theydo, fine us....we pay a dodgy foreigner 6million a year anyway!

Its to let the world know, that we alone stood against Nazi Germany!!!!!!!!!!!

We should be able to do it, the Turks have that Half Moon Muslim crest on their shirt!!

The poppy is not religious, so it should be allowed !

:blink:

Fuck it.

Declare war on the yellow bellied shithouses and be done with it.

We should be allowed to play in fucking tutu's and riggers if we want to. Bollocks to them. It's 11 men kicking a fucking ball for Allahs sake.

And whilst we're at it, and considering there's fucks chance of either winning or hosting a tournament in the next millenium, why not go back to doing what we do best by invading Poland and Ukraine like the Germans did in WW2, getting pissed, and wrecking the place.

Be reet.

The poppy is not religious, so it should be allowed !

:blink:

They didn't really help themselves by quoting their policy of no political, religious or commercial as I'm sure I'm not alone in the symbol being none of those.

The battlefields of the Ypres Salient contain the graves of thousands of soldiers of different nationalities who died during the WW1 battles.

• Site Supporter

If England decided they wanted to emblazon UNICEF across their shirts or some other international charity, would it be allowed?

If the criteria is only political, religious or commerce then I wouldn't see an issue.

If England decided they wanted to emblazon UNICEF across their shirts or some other international charity, would it be allowed?

If the criteria is only political, religious or commerce then I wouldn't see an issue.

Would it not be deemed as commercial as it is advertising one charity over any others though? Letter of the law and all that.

They didn't really help themselves by quoting their policy of no political, religious or commercial as I'm sure I'm not alone in the symbol being none of those.

The battlefields of the Ypres Salient contain the graves of thousands of soldiers of different nationalities who died during the WW1 battles.

You could argue, there IS a link to religion, as remembrance Day ison a Sunday, most happen in a Church, lead by Minister's over the country.

But, me thinks its just these religiouns paying respects in general.

But the case ca be argued either way.

You could argue, there IS a link to religion, as remembrance Day ison a Sunday, most happen in a Church, lead by Minister's over the country.

But, me thinks its just these religiouns paying respects in general.

But the case ca be argued either way.

No, Remembrance Day is the 11th, Remembrance Sunday is the nearest Sunday.

And all religions respect it.

Edited by no balls

• Members

It's a load of fcuking shiyte and FIFA should hang their heads in shame.

The opulence and freedoms their executives enjoy would not have been possible but for the brave souls who made the ultimate sacrifice.

I only expect to hear oppopstion to the poppy from the usual despicable source.

• Moderators

Its to let the world know, that we alone stood against Nazi Germany!!!!!!!!!!!

Did we?

We stood with the Poles, Canadians, French, Dutch, Belgies, Danes, Norwegians, Ozzies then the Yanks, Ruskies, Mexicans and a whole load of other people against Germany, Italy and Japan. Don't for a fucking split second forget those two shithouse cunts.

Did we?

We stood with the Poles, Canadians, French, Dutch, Belgies, Danes, Norwegians, Ozzies then the Yanks, Ruskies, Mexicans and a whole load of other people against Germany, Italy and Japan. Don't for a fucking split second forget those two shithouse cunts.

Kind of what I meant by mentioning it, some caller on a late nite radio phone in said it !!

Shocking !!

So let me get this straight.

There WILL be a silence before the match.

The players CAN wear a poppy on their jacket before the game.

Those on the bench CAN wear a poppy.

However the rules state no poppy on the shirt I see no issue my self but I never do when this type of nonsense gets banded around.

Have England ever had a poppy on the shirt before?

This is just typical of the British media, and British people being taken in by it.

Only our media can turn a FIFA long standing rule, that is plane to see in black an white into 'FIFA BAD THE POPPY'

Madness !

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.