Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Fifa Block England Wearing The Poppy

gonzo

• Members

But wearing it shows you respect all those who have died for us in all wars/conflicts.

... and if they wear one on their suit going into the stadium and also observe the minute silence then they will have shown respect. Job done.

Didn't have you down as a Sun reader. :pardon:

... and if they wear one on their suit going into the stadium and also observe the minute silence then they will have shown respect. Job done.

Didn't have you down as a Sun reader. :pardon:

It was a general comment. & no, I'm not.

Edited by no balls

if there was a hindu playin with his turban on, you can bet your bottom dollar they wouldnt cherp up and tell him to take it off.

The entire squad should refuse to play. its a fucking outrage! lest we forget.

How are they remotely connected? Oh and fifa banned the Iranian women's team from wearing an Islamic strip.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/jun/06/iran-women-olympic-strip?cat=football&type=article

I ask again have England ever had a poppy printed on the shirt before?

if there was a hindu playin with his turban on, you can bet your bottom dollar they wouldnt cherp up and tell him to take it off.

I'm not sure many Hindus wear turbans, fella. :blink:

That is embarrasing. Is this country really filled with people who think this ??

As shocking as my spelling and grammer is, I hope Allah that I dont ever come across as bad as this.

Edited by Pablo

Our nationality is clearly displayed in the 3 lions and the word England on the kit.

The poppy has fuck all to do with 'showing Britishness'

Speedy response, sorry if I disagree. Cant remember seeing one anywhere else in the world, unless it was on the lapel of an expat.If you don't want to wear one be my guest.

• Site Supporter

fifa's problem is that once they allow one emblem on a shirt (whatever that may be), they that opens the door to other countries wanting a bash at it.

the rules state no emblems to avoid such arguments.

cant believe im actually defending the cunts, but rules are rules.

• Members

Pablo "The Poppy" doesnt celebrate war. It is an emblem of respect to the people who lost their lives.

Billy

If we played the Irish then a lot of them would be offended. As the poppy remembers soldiers who have lost their lives serving our country, this would include soldiers who died in Ireland. Soldiers who, in their opinion, killed their relatives whilst having no right to be there in the first place.

How would you feel if another country was playing England and had a motif on their shirts that paid respects to soldiers of their country who had, in our eyes, murdered innocent English people.

Try and take a step back and look at the bigger picture.

Everyone will get their chance to show their respect at Wembley anyway. So what's the fucking problem?

It's people kicking off and causing a shit-storm like this that simply inflames a situation and causes yet more racial hatred that we could do without. See the retarded Hindu comment previously as an example.

Can they not just all wear armbands with a poppy on? - surely that would solve the issue/problem

I don't agree with it, but I can see why FIFA are blocking it.

You should rule the world. :D

I think that sounds like a cracking compromise.

Speedy response, sorry if I disagree. Cant remember seeing one anywhere else in the world, unless it was on the lapel of an expat.If you don't want to wear one be my guest.

Canada perhaps, where the idea came from and the country of origin for the poet who wrote In Flanders Fields.

The yanks, Aussies and kiwis also wear them on their respective days of rememberance.

So a real symbol of Britishness.

Billy

If we played the Irish then a lot of them would be offended. As the poppy remembers soldiers who have lost their lives serving our country, this would include soldiers who died in Ireland. Soldiers who, in their opinion, killed their relatives whilst having no right to be there in the first place.

How would you feel if another country was playing England and had a motif on their shirts that paid respects to soldiers of their country who had, in our eyes, murdered innocent English people.

Everyone will get their chance to show their respect at Wembley anyway. So what's the fucking problem?

It's people kicking off and causing a shit-storm like this that simply inflames a situation and causes yet more racial hatred that we could do without. See the retarded Hindu comment previously as an example.

I will tell you what the fucking problem is. I find it difficult if not impossible to step back, I was in the army for nine years. I seem to spend most of my time trying not to offend people, on this one I dont give a flying fuck. In my unit we had black people, muslims, Indos, Irish, Aussies, Kiwis and others too. This is the way the majority of British people show their respect to the fallen of our country, where ever in the world they find themselves at this time of the year. If you dont want to ruffle feathers dont, but I do. If you dont want to wear a poppy, dont but I will. It is a fairly basic right, the people who wish to wear the white poppy do without fear or question, as do the people who dont want for whatever reason to wear one at all. Our FA must want to, otherwise they wouldnt have asked.

I will tell you what the fucking problem is. I find it difficult if not impossible to step back, I was in the army for nine years. I seem to spend most of my time trying not to offend people, on this one I dont give a flying fuck. In my unit we had black people, muslims, Indos, Irish, Aussies, Kiwis and others too. This is the way the majority of British people show their respect to the fallen of our country, where ever in the world they find themselves at this time of the year. If you dont want to ruffle feathers dont, but I do. If you dont want to wear a poppy, dont but I will. It is a fairly basic right, the people who wish to wear the white poppy do without fear or question, as do the people who dont want for whatever reason to wear one at all. Our FA must want to, otherwise they wouldnt have asked.

Its just aswell that people emotionally / contractually involved dont make these decisions then.

As Rules are made to stop debate on subjects like this.

How this affects you or families of the dead, are not even the debate here.

Emotions are not what make decisions.

The players can wear a poppy they just can't have one printed on the shirts.

• Site Supporter

Billy

some good points there mate, but,going slightly off topic,as the thread is about England football,but seen this type of comment a few times,using Irish as an example. I have never seen anyone offended by someone wearing a poppy. Sure, some may not want to wear one for their own reasons/agendas, but "the Irish" as a collective, would not be offended in the mainstream. the 1st world war killed more Irish people than any rebellion against the crown, the 1916 rising the war of independence or the civil war. True it is.or was at least, a political mine field, but ifpeople in general were offended, then this wouldn't exist and operate. http://republic-of-ireland.britishlegion.org.uk/index.cfm?asset_id=1376

and the thought that a state body like the FAI would want to somehow "honour" bobby sands/IRA etc is laughable. Though i do know it was hypothetical, used in context to try and explain the poppy situationon the shirts

Edited by fatolive

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.