Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Rise & Fall Of The Third Reich

Boothy

I have made a point contradictory to that. That anti-semitism wasn't fundementally a 'Nazi thing' and was widespread in Europe pre-1933. So we are in agreement?

Nit picking points and coming up with random counter-arguments that bear no relation to the what was said is hardly 'challenging opinion'.

Your 'murdering 3,000,000' a sterling example.

• Moderators

The vast majority of the populace hadn't much of a clue about the final solution and other vile goings on. Chinese whispers syndrome and rumours maybe.

aye, you can pretty much guarantee that virtually all them german soldiers on the front line wouldn't have been aware of auschwitz and the like, half the hierarchy weren't aware either, and of them that were, not all of them were into it - most were just fighting for their country, because that's what you do, unaware the leader of the country was up to what he was

• Members

aye, you can pretty much guarantee that virtually all them german soldiers on the front line wouldn't have been aware of auschwitz and the like, half the hierarchy weren't aware either, and of them that were, not all of them were into it - most were just fighting for their country, because that's what you do, unaware the leader of the country was up to what he was

Spot on. Much of the Landwehr were professional military men who were, in many ways, despised by Hitler and his henchmen and the feeling was mutual.

We can't know exactly what many of these people felt when the full horror was revealed to them but it would be fair to guess that their revulsion and feeling of being utterly fooled would have been as intense as you could ever experience.

Getting back to the thread title, however, the book is a 'must read' in my opinion. A stark reminder of how giddy times of power can degenerate in the most appalling depths of human filth and indecency.

Personally, I would have it on school curricula.

I fancy this book now

found one 2nd hand online for ?6

I'll be honest, 1400 pages is putting me off

is it big or small print?

It's not something you'd read cover to cover, more of a reference work in my opinion. Most chapters stand alone - I used it first to get a background on Operation Barbarossa, then read other chapters non-sequentially. The print is small in my copy - which fell off the shelf once and split the binding under it's own weight (to give you a further idea of how hefty it is).

Edited by Youri McAnespie

Small print, 200 - 300 pages of that are just references from his research though, so you dont count them.

It is split into a few different 'books' so you can come back to it at different points. I would definately recommend it, it is the seminal work on the Nazi's.

One of the great things the allies did was parade the locals around the death camps to show them what they had been supporting - inadvertently or otherwise.

Not to mention filtering out the staunch Nazis from the POW's who were imprisoned on these shores and then re-educating the remainder in the principles of democracy before sending them back to Germany.

Not to mention filtering out the staunch Nazis from the POW's who were imprisoned on these shores and then re-educating the remainder in the principles of democracy before sending them back to Germany.

How did that work then?

'Now then Hans, you've been here eight years now - What do you feel about Herr Hitler?'

'Ach Ja, Hitler he was being a tosser yes? Also I am hearing he had unt one ball - very amusing no? Can I go now?'

'OK, you get off home to Germany, but think on!'

Edited by Youri McAnespie

How did that work then?

'Now then Hans, you've been here eight years now - What do you feel about Herr Hitler?'

'Ach Ja, Hitler he was being a tosser yes? Also I am hearing he had unt one ball - very amusing no? Can I go now?'

'OK, you get off home to Germany, but think on!'

We will need your grandkids to bail out the rest of europe in about 70 years if that is OK

• Site Supporter

Grandfather came over from Ireland to guard POW's up in Cumbria, always used to say they were just normal lads who happened to be on a different side, reckons they were genuinely horrified when shown the images of the concentration camps and stats on the round up of jews etc, just as horrified as he was when shown what he was going to be showing them. Nowt to do with the subject, but my uncle still has a silver cigarette box with a German regiment badge on and a picture of some German woman inside, obviously a sweetheart of a prisoner, should have it looked at and valued/displayed somewhere I think, but he just keeps it in the display cabinet at home.

and the sweetheart, the picture is from he neck up so I don't know.

I've just watched 'the king's speech '

It occurred to me what would have been different if Edward hadn't abdicated

Would we have been different/better under a German regime, would we be any worse than what we have now

Don't get me wrong I detest what happened in WWII, but I look at the state of our country , and our economy, and I wonder where have we gone wrong

The German economy is better, I doubt they ave the statistics I heard yesterday that the capital has more immigrant parents than national parents.

Are their crimes rates as bad as ours?

Are their prisoners allowed the same benefits as ours Internet, mobiles, marital visits?

Is their NHS paying for every foreigners health care and the expense of their own elderly?

Edited by Mona

Would we have been different/better under a German regime, would we be any worse than what we have now

Some of us would be dead, I'd say that's worse.

• Members

Don't get me wrong I detest what happened in WWII, but I look at the state of our country , and our economy, and I wonder where have we gone wrong

The German economy is better, I doubt they ave the statistics I heard yesterday that the capital has more immigrant parents than national parents.

Are their crimes rates as bad as ours?

Are their prisoners allowed the same benefits as ours Internet, mobiles, marital visits?

Is their NHS paying for every foreigners health care and the expense of their own elderly?

Germany has prospered as a result of propping up operations/investment after the war by the West. Huge amount of dosh went into rebuilding the place. Also, they have had democracy since 1946 helping business flourish.

Don't make the mistake of thinking things would have been better if the Nazis had won. We would have been under the same jackboot as the rest of the world. There would be only one 'master race'.

• Members

Just for the record, I love Germany and the Germans. I am a fairly regular visitor and am full of admiration for DB and the general efficiency with which most things run.

Historical fact that we are brothers.

This does not change things when we meet them on the football field however.

Just for the record, I love Germany and the Germans. I am a fairly regular visitor and am full of admiration for DB and the general efficiency with which most things run.

Historical fact that we are brothers.

This does not change things when we meet them on the football field however.

undefeated in germany

I know this , my mum lost three brothers in WWII , my husband lost his uncle at Arnhem .

We have friends in Holland , who will never forget what the Germans did to them

My oldest uncle died in Australia last year after serving with the British army , and then the Australian army

He never forgot what he saw, and was bitter to the very end.

So yes I know what the war did to families

Irony should be the title of this thread.

The treat of Versallies bankrupted Germany, they had no hope, no belief and they fell upon a strong leader and persecuted those in their country who they felt ere doing the nationals outbid work. Economics breeds race hate more than anything.

Why is it that the poorest parts of the country turn on British Asians? Because we all need someone to blame because of our own failings/gvt or parental. The BNP have no support in West Kensington or North Yorkshire. Funny that.

Like Bolty said, the allies poured money into Germany after the war and I assume that basically if it wasn't for that then the country would've become a wilderness.

Take Volkswagen for instance, nobody after the war would touch it:

"The Volkswagen factory at Wolfsburg came under British control in 1945; it was to be dismantled and shipped to Britain. Thankfully for Volkswagen, no British car manufacturer was interested in the factory; "the vehicle does not meet the fundamental technical requirement of a motor-car ? it is quite unattractive to the average buyer ? To build the car commercially would be a completely uneconomic enterprise". The factory survived by producing cars for the British Army instead. Allied dismantling policy changed in late 1946 to mid 1947, although heavy industry continued to be dismantled until 1951. Thanks to the protection of British Army Major Ivan Hirst, Volkswagen survived the perilous times, and became part of the German economic recovery and following economic miracle.

Hateful hateful contraptions but proving the point that the British looked after the Germans post war in the fact that they wanted the post war Germany to survive and prosper.

Mercedes-Benz

BMW

Bosch

Krups

Volkswagen

Any more for any more?