Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cycling

HomerJay

I had more of an idea where they were than Porter & Boardman once they got inside the M25 on the way back. Knew Cav was buggered once they hit Hampton Court and the Kingston one way system (which they went partly the wrong way round & cut out the difficult bit)

Edited by Exiled Girl

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from Box Hill.

Fucking nackered and disappointed. Controlled it well but a terrible tactical error to let so many go across to the break on the last ascent, and then unsurprising that 6 fresh riders beat 6 flogged riders.

Just got back from Box Hill.

Fucking nackered and disappointed. Controlled it well but a terrible tactical error to let so many go across to the break on the last ascent, and then unsurprising that 6 fresh riders beat 6 flogged riders.

I dont get this

if they have done the same distance in the same time then surely they have done the same ammount of work

why would one be more tired than the other?

Surely slip stream can't be a huge benefit on a push iron.

I dont get this

if they have done the same distance in the same time then surely they have done the same ammount of work

20-25% they say

I dont get this

What do you think takes the energy other than wind resistance?

If wind resistance wasn't a factor they would easily ride 400mph - the tyres have very little rolling resistance.

• Site Supporter

you would need more teeth on the back than whats on the front..

example being to downgear a bike you take two teeth off the front and add two to the back..

an average motorbike being 14 on front and 40 on the back

• Site Supporter

And and average road bike is 52 on the front and 11 on the rear. The bigger the front ring, the less revolutions required by the legs. The smaller the rear cog, the smaller amount of chain required to perform a revolution of the wheel.

Big front, little rear.

In fact thinking about it you would only need at 400t on the front for 400mph as I can do about 20mph on 18t, 30mph on 28t at 40mph 38t on my bike. Peddling like a daft cunt though.

Edited by HomerJay

• Site Supporter

yup heads gone.. blame lack of sleep..

forgot the method I said adds speed at low cadence but takes away top end speed..

If your itk about cycling.. is it more difficult to get a high top end on a compact chainset ???

• 8 years later...
  • Site Supporter
52 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

In favour of the wands?

Aye

its a bit of a racetrack CNR and this protects our Lycra-clad weirdos whilst also calming the traffic a bit.

Inside knowledge - that stretch of road gets more spent on it by the landscaping division of Bolton council than the whole of Farnworth and Great Lever.

Fact.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, Spider said:

Aye

its a bit of a racetrack CNR and this protects our Lycra-clad weirdos whilst also calming the traffic a bit.

Inside knowledge - that stretch of road gets more spent on it by the landscaping division of Bolton council than the whole of Farnworth and Great Lever.

Fact.

Can't polish a turd.