Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Official Boxing Thread...

gonzo

Just watched the ringside special

Groves is a great wind up merchant, but I hope he ends up picking his teeth up off the canvass

Just said the same to my mate.

Top fishing but I hope froch wins and then gets a pop at ward

"Are you gonna cry?" Haha

• Site Supporter

If wards the fella who gave froch a lesson last time, I see no reason to think a re match will be any different

Yes, he is. Froch is a top level fighter but he's no elite level like Ward is. Same outcome if they me again, probably by an even bigger run around

If wards the fella who gave froch a lesson last time, I see no reason to think a re match will be any different

The big difference would be that Ward is shockingly inactive. He has fought once since the Froch fight - and that was in Nov 11.

He's very reticent to fight outside of his home turf, he has a fairly boring style, and he's cleaned out his division, so there's not a lot of exciting opposition out there for him. He might find that fighting Froch in the UK is by a long way the best earner out there, and the fight being here alone would make it more competitive.

However the point stands, he's a very rare talent and he had way too much craft for Froch. Can't see Froch overcoming that.

Just seen James Toney on Ringside. What a fucking mess, tragedy. Who the hell has signed him off as fit to box? Contrast with the interview in the minutes following his first fight with McCallum in 1991 (one of the top four of five fights of all time, find it on Youtube) and he's asked if there should be a rematch. 'Shit, I'll do it again tomorrow night!'

Just seen James Toney on Ringside. What a fucking mess, tragedy. Who the hell has signed him off as fit to box? Contrast with the interview in the minutes following his first fight with McCallum in 1991 (one of the top four of five fights of all time, find it on Youtube) and he's asked if there should be a rematch. 'Shit, I'll do it again tomorrow night!'

http://youtu.be/ECOCPCj7HF8

Fighting starts at around 15 minutes in...

http://youtu.be/ECOCPCj7HF8

Fighting starts at around 15 minutes in...

Highly recommended if you're at all interested in the craft of the sport rather than two meatheads knocking fuck out of each other. If you want boxing rather than fighting, this is essential viewing. McCallum, who'd beaten Michael Watson, Steve Collins and Herol Graham in the 18 months or so previous, was a past master by this point and Toney the new kid on the block really but they matched each other for technical skill in a way you rarely see. The second fight was poor by comparison and the third 7 or so years later when both had got fat a waste of time. But the first one is way up there on my list of favourites.