Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

No Dawson, No Win = 2013

Kane57

Read this

http://www.lionofviennasuite.com/2013/9/4/4693934/bolton-have-not-won-a-league-game-in-2013-without-craig-dawson

Fucking frightening stuff  :angry2:

Read that headline and then take a second to let that soak in. In the whole of 2013 (thus far), Bolton Wanderers have not won once in the league without Craig Dawson. That is the impact that one player can make. Let's take a step back for a quick second.

On the 24th of January, 2013, Bolton Wanderers officially signed West Bromwich Albionand England U21 defender Craig Dawson on a three-month-long loan deal. He would make his debut for the Trotters on the 9th of February, starting in the home match against Burnley. It was a match that Bolton would ultimately win 2-1 thanks in part to Dawson's threat up front and poise at the back. Bolton would win eight of the next 11 to propel them into play-off contention. Dawson's loan ended ahead of the season's final match, a crucial clash against Blackpool at home that Bolton would ultimately draw to miss out on a chance at promotion.

Ahead of Dawson's arrival at the Reebok, Bolton Wanderers hit some rocks after Dougie Freedman had largely steadied the ship upon his appointment as manager. At that point, the Trotters had won one out of their last seven, losing four of those matches. The story was much the same after Dawson's departure. Bolton Wanderers have not won a league fixture in 2013 without Craig Dawson. The defender appeared 16 times for Bolton with Wanderers losing just three times in that stretch.

The last win came on the 29th of December when Bolton beat Birmingham City by a scoreline of 3-1 at the Reebok Stadium. That match was surrounded by 1-0 losses against Sheffield Wednesday and at Leeds United. In 2013, without Craig Dawson, Wanderers had lost twice and drawn four. Those totals were compounded with the current season's poor start, brining it to five losses and six draws in 2013 without Craig Dawson.

Fuck off.

And please telll the lov boys to do the same the defeatist Bastards. You're like Dumbo without the feather.

Not an easy time to be positive about many aspects of BWFC, Gonk.

I think it's an interesting link, even if you don't.

I'm sorry, it's superstitious bollox.

Fair enough, but I think it's interesting how someone who himself was not a patch on other centre halves we've had but who still managed to lift everyone else and the team at the same time had such a direct influence on our second half of the season.

• Moderators

Fair enough, but I think it's interesting how someone who himself was not a patch on other centre halves we've had but who still managed to lift everyone else and the team at the same time had such a direct influence on our second half of the season.

i think he's a decent player and not sure how you judge he isn't a patch on our other centre halves and anyway, comparisons with previous centre backs are irrelevant - question is whether he's better than the ones we had last season

for me, a massive part of what he offered where his goals

makes such a massive difference

He signed on 23,/01 for 3 months. I will accept th we statement that we didn't lose in those 3 months. For 6 months we haven't had his service, and for at least two of those months there wasn't any football so to start a thread saying we haven't won without him in 2013 is sensationalist bollocks.

i think he's a decent player and not sure how you judge he isn't a patch on our other centre halves and anyway, comparisons with previous centre backs are irrelevant - question is whether he's better than the ones we had last season

Point taken. I would like to see him back , for sure.

This is the main thing that we lost when Cahill went. He was a quality centre back, no doubt, but his biggest contribution was that we genuinely looked like we could score from corners and free kicks - the same was true when Dawson was playing for us.

This is the main thing that we lost when Cahill went. He was a quality centre back, no doubt, but his biggest contribution was that we genuinely looked like we could score from corners and free kicks - the same was true when Dawson was playing for us.

Biggest contribution?

Not a chance, that was defending for both of them

Small contribution - yes

Surely the biggest contribution Dawson had was it proved knight is more than capable.

Although I'd like to see the stats for alonso as well as I think he had a major contribution. He might not have been a colossus defender but having a regular left back who the centre backs can predict what he's going to do is massive.

Surely the biggest contribution Dawson had was it proved knight is more than capable.

So what you're saying is, Knight CAN play well, but only if he's got some 'kid' walking/talking him through the game?

He's fucking 33 years old and played 400 games for goodness sake.

Making him captain is Dougie's biggest mistake so far IMO.

Knight can play well when he doesn't have to baby sit atleast 2 other players.

Unfair on tierney / baptiste but they haven't exactly started on fire

Knight babysitting other players?  :thumbsup:

That cunt couldn't babysit a goldfish.

Edited by tylswhite