Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Gartside Out

anewman

Just been having a look on Facebook at the Gartside out campaign. They are well proud because it has 979 likes. Fuck me its an embarrassment. All this bollocks about running the club into the ground and if it was any other company is crap. Football clubs can't be compared to other companies. Like has been said, the first sign of a crumble and people need a scape goat. These lot have no stomach for the fight. The same people that are going on about the debt are the same people that are moaning that we have not signed anyone of note. Was gonna post on the Facebook site but feared a lynch mob of 20 12 year olds chucking stones at my window or playing knock a door run.

Bolton Wanderers: 10 Years at the Reebok, p59:

"I had known Eddie for about 10 years and knew he was interested in the club", says Gartside. "Even so I wasn't very comfortable with calling him and asking him to help out, but we were absolutely desperate. I told him about the situation and said if he wanted to do something it would be fantastic, but if he didn't I would fully understand."

Of course anyone could do that. I think not.

There should be a statue of ED next to Nats I'm old enough to remember how much shit we were in and how virtually nobody gave a fuck about BWFC during the 80s we could not muster 6000 Bolton folk on a regular basis to watch us, there was virtually zero local pride in our club and slowly but surely the club was rebuilt from the embers back to the pinnacle of British football, now we're sliding again and folk quickly forget the great times we've had and Bolton folk yet again desert this great club, my view is hang your fucking heads in shame and be thankful that Eddie Davies has not walked away like many supposed fans of BWFC.

There should be a statue of ED next to Nats...

I agree, but we're pretty skint too, how about we see if Southampton still have the first attempt at Ted Bates knocking about? Offer them a score for it? It wouldn't be a million miles away in resemblance - as for proportion, well we could position it so it looks like he's waving at Sir Nat from afar.

Ted Bates

3992172654.jpg

Eddie Davies C.B.E.

_42700405_statue270.jpg

I'm only 'joking' we all love you really, in the unlikely event you're reading...

Edited by Youri McAnespie

There should be a statue of ED next to Nats I'm old enough to remember how much shit we were in and how virtually nobody gave a fuck about BWFC during the 80s we could not muster 6000 Bolton folk on a regular basis to watch us, there was virtually zero local pride in our club and slowly but surely the club was rebuilt from the embers back to the pinnacle of British football, now we're sliding again and folk quickly forget the great times we've had and Bolton folk yet again desert this great club, my view is hang your fucking heads in shame and be thankful that Eddie Davies has not walked away like many supposed fans of BWFC.

Ummm ........ I'm with you in principle, Mounts. The 80s have left a scar on us of a certain age (or older in my case). But hard to link the 80s disaster & early 90s recovery with ED. - he didn't come onto the scene till 2000 or so, did he ?

He was connected to Manchester Business School when Roland Smith was involved with MUFC.

As Smith knew he was a Bolton fan he invited him to the directors box for a match v Bolton (maybe the 1991 FA Cup tie) where ED met PG. He told PG that the club financial plan was incorrect and would end in disaster, and offered help if that was changed to his satisfaction.

When disaster duly happened PG went back to him and ED stumped up the initial £2M. Since then, like Topsy, the debt has growed.

He was connected to Manchester Business School when Roland Smith was involved with MUFC.

As Smith knew he was a Bolton fan he invited him to the directors box for a match v Bolton (maybe the 1991 FA Cup tie) where ED met PG. He told PG that the club financial plan was incorrect and would end in disaster, and offered help if that was changed to his satisfaction.

When disaster duly happened PG went back to him and ED stumped up the initial £2M. Since then, like Topsy, the debt has growed.

Great bit of inside info it sounds like Eddie Davies is a wise old businessman, he knows what hes doing thats for sure, any other snippets like this Malc? 

Just been having a look on Facebook at the Gartside out campaign. They are well proud because it has 979 likes. Fuck me its an embarrassment. All this bollocks about running the club into the ground and if it was any other company is crap. Football clubs can't be compared to other companies. Like has been said, the first sign of a crumble and people need a scape goat. These lot have no stomach for the fight. The same people that are going on about the debt are the same people that are moaning that we have not signed anyone of note. Was gonna post on the Facebook site but feared a lynch mob of 20 12 year olds chucking stones at my window or playing knock a door run.

In fairness, we're well beyond the 'first signs' of a crumble

First signs of a crumble? We've not even shopped for the apples yet.

Some folk need to get a grip, if this is the reaction, can you imagine if we we'd lost The Reebok and were having to ponce Macclesfield's ground for the foreseeable? Jesus wept, there'd be a f*cking bedsheet drought...

What's even stranger is the dichotomy of the gnashers and wailers - on one hand they want financial responsibility, transparency and stability, on the other they think the team is uber-shit (no argument there) and that we should be spunking money left, right and centre to get us 'where we belong'...

We are where we belong, it's not going to be for good, I daresay we'll hit some heights again, then again we might drop a bit lower too. That's the lot of a BWFC supporter, deal with it, like almost everyone else does - grow up (not you Pie-Eater - you were making an observation).

Edited by Youri McAnespie

I agree that it isn't all doom and gloom as some would make out but the ingredients are there for it to go south very quickly if the club aren't careful. Our finances aren't great (to say the least), crowds are down and the team aren't performing... you can see why people are starting to panic, even if blaming it all on Gartside is massively oversimplifying

We're not Coventry, Portsmouth etc but people have a right to get worried well before we get to that stage

We've got to operate on a Championship budget, that means running down the contracts of the high-earners, it means getting rid of a culture of arseholes non-performing and swanning around with an air of "nothing to prove", "I've played for Liverpool", "I'm a CR7 Style Samsung Spokeman who's hero worshipped in his home country", "I've got a convertible", "I've been capped for England" etc. which means nought in the grand scheme of things.

How can we expect this high earning old guard to conform with the way we're going - on the pitch and off?

It needs knocking down and building up again from scratch - others have said it, I don't believe it myself, but we may have to drop down again as a corollary...We need to stick it out and see it through for the long-term good. If they've got a five-year plan of where they want to be, it'll pass soon enough.

If not...well I prefer not to think of that.