Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Itk Transfer Thread

Carlos

I don't rate Mills. He's played well on a number of occasions this season and put some serious effort it. However his overall standard is not worth the wages we pay him. He's a bottom half of the Championship standard defender.

There's a good player in Wheater. He seems to have become slower over the past two years and he wasn't quick to start with! However he was far from out of his depth when he played for us in the Prem and if he hadn't got injured in that grim penultimate home game against WBA I doubt we'd have shipped that 2-0 lead.

Dervite has put in steady performances since Day One. However he isn't a leader or a commanding central defender and of late his form has dipped a bit. He doesn't deal well with the long ball over his head.

Mills is alright as is Wheater but I wouldn't play them together also there not getting much protection from midfield at the moment and that's where our current problems stem from.

I agree with you on that Mounts - but I don't entirely trust our three central defenders on their own merits. That's not to say they are crap, they aren't - but I don't currently see any of them being part of any serious progress next season, provided we secure safety this season.

• Moderators

Is Nolan out of contract at the end of the season? Only on the bench for West Ham today.

I would not be opposed to this

Imagine his chances in the PL would become more limited if FSA leaves and a new manager who believes in the West Ham way comes in

With the exception of the goalkeepers I would quite happily replace our whole defence (once we decide where Vela is playing). Mills came with a good reputation but there must be better defenders in League 1 never mind elsewhere. Being realistic I think one of Mills or Wheater needs replacing, together they look ready to ship goals/fouls/yellow cards every game. Dervite should be able to replaced with better and we need two new full backs. Brighton have started winning so we need to get our shit together quickly.

Correct about replacing the defence

I agree with you on that Mounts - but I don't entirely trust our three central defenders on their own merits. That's not to say they are crap, they aren't - but I don't currently see any of them being part of any serious progress next season, provided we secure safety this season.

Wheater, Mills and Dervite are fine if we had a midfield that wasn't as soft as a wet paper bags and had any full backs who weren't absolutely shite.

We need two full backs and a proper battler in the centre of midfield. Decision to loan out Spearing looks ridiculous to me as he would be far better in there than what we've got now.

Our defence was shipping goals in shedloads under Freedman with one or even two holding midfielders in front of them. We've been effectively playing without any for the last month, so no surprise that we're shipping them even more.

Where a lot of teams have improved over the time we've been back in the Championship has been the pace in their teams, particularly going forward. We have a bit more going forward than we had, but we're chronically short at the back and, for me, until we re-model the defence to remedy that, it needs the protection of a holding midfielder and to have two proper full backs in it.

At the moment, we look lightweight, weak and naive