Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Israel/palestine Conflict

They won an election (the sad fact is most surveys of opinion, including muslims in this country, finds extremism is a lot more mainstream than most want to admit).

Pretty safe bet they won't be losing power now as after that election they murdered their opponents and haven't held another election since.

Last paragraph confirms my thoughts.

The next nuclear bomb will be somewhere in the Middle East

I don't think it will be nuclear, however my outside bet is that Iran will steam in and blitz the fcuk out of the place.

On another note, a  % of their military hardware was supplied by the U.K and the U.S.A, it made its way to Syria when we were backing the overthrowing of Al Assad.

Some countries cant handle democracy, they need the likes of Saddam etc to keep check on things.

• Moderators

I don't think it will be nuclear, however my outside bet is that Iran will steam in and blitz the fcuk out of the place.

On another note, a  % of their military hardware was supplied by the U.K and the U.S.A, it made its way to Syria when we were backing the overthrowing of Al Assad.

Some countries cant handle democracy, they need the likes of Saddam etc to keep check on things.

I might be about to open myself up to a maggie tate online bumming here but when it comes to shit like that, they need the likes of Team America not to fuck off leaving a vacuum of power once they've sorted out their own agenda

it happened here and it happened in afghanistan when they helped them fight russia, and it came back to bite them on the arse

(this view is based on mainly watching charlie wilson's war)

Everyone knows civilians will die when military action is taken, under any circumstances, anywhere on earth. It's unpleasant but it's fact. It is a matter of the steps taken to avoid them as far as possible. No military makes a greater effort where that is concerned than Israel's. Hamas wants its children to die and does everything it can to make sure that they do. Sorry but there is no way to defend yourself from terror and avoid killing some people who shouldn't be killed.The only thing Israel could do to totally avoid accidentally killing civilians is turn the other cheek and resign itself to perpetual terror. No country would choose that course. It is suicidal.

Out of interest - and it is a loosely connected point of principle - do you think the civilian casualties that took place during the bin Laden raid were worth it? Or the civilians that died in the raid that killed al Zarqawi?

Not only is it unpleasant - it's also counter productive.  You're Israel - you're worried about terrorism, so your response is to murder 600 or so Palestinians and hope the problem will go away?  It's a terrorist recruitment drive!  Everyday extra day this goes on it plays into Hamas' hands and the chances of ever finding a lasting peace get further and further apart.  

Insofar as your second question goes - I can't give you a considered response as I don't know enough about each case.  As you've probably figured out I'm very much a dove as opposed to a hawk.  Generally I think that men with guns tend to make things worse rather than better.  Watching the world unfold over the past two decades has only strengthened that belief.

I might be about to open myself up to a maggie tate online bumming here but when it comes to shit like that, they need the likes of Team America not to fuck off leaving a vacuum of power once they've sorted out their own agenda

it happened here and it happened in afghanistan when they helped them fight russia, and it came back to bite them on the arse

(this view is based on mainly watching charlie wilson's war)

Not at all. Of course we left Iraq too early. It was the last of a great many mistakes made there. Who knows, we could be in the process of doing the same in Afghanistan. Some countries are better equipped for democracy than others but it cannot be that there are ones who could not under any circumstances cut it. There are about 100 or so who since the end of the war have built passable democracies where none existed before. Democracy is attractive to everyone. Though the Middle East since the Arab Spring does test the theory rather...

Not only is it unpleasant - it's also counter productive.  You're Israel - you're worried about terrorism, so your response is to murder 600 or so Palestinians and hope the problem will go away?  It's a terrorist recruitment drive!  Everyday extra day this goes on it plays into Hamas' hands and the chances of ever finding a lasting peace get further and further apart.

It is not murder. It is plain crazy to say it is. Though it is your proposition of doing nothing which is doing the hoping of it to go away.

You are asking that Hamas gets what it wants. You are asking that it be left in peace to continue the business of trying to destroy its neighbour. You are asking for Israeli suicide. Recruitment drive??!! There is no course of action Israel could possibly take to make Hamas hate it any less as it is. The only thing Israel could do to avoid being a recruitment agent for Hamas is cease to exist and the Jews go somewhere else. Israel's existence has is sufficient to ensure the Hamas ranks swell. For about the fifth time in this thread I am forced to point out that when Ariel Sharon's right wing govt gave Hamas what it wanted in 2005 and withdrew the IDF and forcied thousands of Jewish settlers from Gaza, what it got in return was a freely elected Hamas govt and an intensification of its terror. What does that tell you about Israel's ability to avoid being a recruiting agent? 

And while you're talking about the prospects of a lasting peace between Israel and Hamas, by all means tell us what points of agreement they would find if they sat round a table.

The only near to mid term prospect for any move towards peace is a Palestinian civil war which Fatah wins. Till then, forget it.

Well we could have a seen what became of the proposed Fatah/Hamas unity government which is now unlikely to happen.

Don't misunderstand me, I'd like nothing more than for Hamas to magically disappear. But I guarantee you this conflict will strengthen support for them inside Gaza.

Well we could have a seen what became of the proposed Fatah/Hamas unity government which is now unlikely to happen.

Don't misunderstand me, I'd like nothing more than for Hamas to magically disappear. But I guarantee you this conflict will strengthen support for them inside Gaza.

The Hamas/Fatah unity again I'm not an expert but I'd bet my house that it would dissipate into infighting and killings, until this lot can behave like human beings I'm afraid the only option is to keep them at bay with the equivalent of a military shitty stick.

The Hamas/Fatah unity again I'm not an expert but I'd bet my house that it would dissipate into infighting and killings, until this lot can behave like human beings I'm afraid the only option is to keep them at bay with the equivalent of a military shitty stick.

• Members

You may as well bang your head against a wall Maggie.

The one thing we can all count on is that Israel will not stop this exercise until a large proportion of Hamas' military capability has been surgically removed or destroyed. Israel has no other option. I believe that, whichever end of the polarised scale we are at, we all hope that this is completed quickly to minimise the deaths of innocents which Hamas so craves.

Not sure thIsraelis do surgical...... Shelled a school during a UN brokered temporary cease fire yesterday. This school was being used as a supposed safe haven for displaced civilians and was being prepared for evacuation by the UN.

The day before, a tank shell blew in the second and third floors of a hospital. I imagine they must have been firing rockets out of the windows during brew times.

Complete cunts..........

Not sure thIsraelis do surgical...... Shelled a school during a UN brokered temporary cease fire yesterday. This school was being used as a supposed safe haven for displaced civilians and was being prepared for evacuation by the UN.

The day before, a tank shell blew in the second and third floors of a hospital. I imagine they must have been firing rockets out of the windows during brew times.

Complete cunts..........

You may have just earned yourself a Tate multiquoting..... :-)

We've been told they are the most precise military in the world, which I have no reason to doubt. How bad are the rest then?

How precise can you be in a heavily populated areas? I'm sure some people think guided missiles fly down the throat of their intended targets and then implode internally.

We've been told they are the most precise military in the world, which I have no reason to doubt. How bad are the rest then?

I have no doubt they are precise. If you aim a tank gun barrel at the second story of a hospital I imagine you are fully expecting to hit the second story of a hospital.

This makes for interesting reading. It's a survey of ordinary Palestinians living in Gaza pre this most recent conflict. Contrary to popular opinion on here, it seems the vast majority of them just want to live a normal life and believe in non violent protest. Quelle suprise!

http://ww2.nationalpost.com/m/wp/blog.html?b=news.nationalpost.com/2014/07/23/average-gaza-citizen-wants-a-steady-job-in-israel-not-more-hamas-rocket-fire-poll-finds