Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Todays Games

superjohnmcginlay

50 minutes ago, Rubberkex said:

Its a valid question Traf that more agile minds than mine have struggled with but there are reasons so here goes. And yes it does piss me off.

Firstly mate I am not my brothers keeper so the only actions I control are mine ( and even that is when the wife's finished ). My support is good, there Saturday,  last night and I will be there going forward.

1.....Wigan as a Borough has 320,000 folk...at least a third of that are not Wiganers and never will be so the place ain't that big.

2...we came to the party late when allegiances have already been formed with other teams like Bolton in the Hindley area. These are predominantly old men and the younger end are now mostly Wigan. Add to that the glory hunters of Utd and Liverpool and its hard work. Wigan has a very young fan base so in time things will improve. 

3....Blackburn, Burnley, Preston and dare I say it Bowton are 1 horse towns with no home grown competition.  We have the rugby lot who dont like footy and won't come. So our gene pool is automatically halved.

4....lastly and most disturbing is we have a group of fans who only show up for a ruck. They were there in force on Saturday...I wish they wouldn't fucking bother at all.

All kinds of incentives have been tried ranging from a free pie to a half time blow job off Miss Wigan with little success. Also every fucker has a dodgy stick these days.

Sorry to ramble but you did ask.

Ramble away, mate. It's good to hear/see things from the other side of the coin. I think that at the back of my mnd, I was alrady aware of all those possible resons why you've not consistently broken the 10k barrier outside the top flight, but it's only when you see them all listed together that you realise what a task you've got on your hands.

None of us on here have any real issue with genuine fans from other clubs and all of us should still count our blessings that we've clubs to support.

2 hours ago, Rubberkex said:

Its a valid question Traf that more agile minds than mine have struggled with but there are reasons so here goes. And yes it does piss me off.

Firstly mate I am not my brothers keeper so the only actions I control are mine ( and even that is when the wife's finished ). My support is good, there Saturday,  last night and I will be there going forward.

1.....Wigan as a Borough has 320,000 folk...at least a third of that are not Wiganers and never will be so the place ain't that big.

2...we came to the party late when allegiances have already been formed with other teams like Bolton in the Hindley area. These are predominantly old men and the younger end are now mostly Wigan. Add to that the glory hunters of Utd and Liverpool and its hard work. Wigan has a very young fan base so in time things will improve. 

3....Blackburn, Burnley, Preston and dare I say it Bowton are 1 horse towns with no home grown competition.  We have the rugby lot who dont like footy and won't come. So our gene pool is automatically halved.

4....lastly and most disturbing is we have a group of fans who only show up for a ruck. They were there in force on Saturday...I wish they wouldn't fucking bother at all.

All kinds of incentives have been tried ranging from a free pie to a half time blow job off Miss Wigan with little success. Also every fucker has a dodgy stick these days.

Fair assessment that .Think your manager had a veiled pop at your no showers  last night.

he said (I paraphrase)’ It’s easy to support your team when they are four nil up at your nearest rivals , but tonight our team needed a lift (I assume he meant by the crowd) & it wasn’t there’

fwiw MK Dons are a decent outfit.

Edited by Take Hunt Off

• Members
2 hours ago, Rubberkex said:

If you fancy a ramble mate may I introduce you to the politics thread 

the real brains of the country in there 

• Members
1 minute ago, deane koontz said:

They won but they're really shit. They play like a team of expensive strangers who just hope for the best.

Liverpool will do them some damage at the weekend if they turn up

Oh god can they not both lose 

21 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

I think this is a very fair point and has had implications for us too.  I know of several Wanderers fans in my age group (40s-50s) who were brought up in Tyldesley, Atherton, Leigh etc

That next generation in those areas not already hoovered up by ManU and City, are probably more likely to go to Wigan than come to Bolton, now we're on a par with each other.

That’s something I naturally keep an eye on around my neck of the woods and thankfully there does still seem to be a production line of younger Bolton fans, albeit City/Utd/Liverpool are a bigger threat than ever. It probably hasn’t done us any harm to have dropped down the divisions and had a bit of relative success in a similar vein to the Rioch era.