Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Margaret Thatcher Day

Boby Brno

Gordon Brown has probably done more damage to our economy by selling the gold than RBS and the rest of the bankers put together. What a utter cock that nob was/is

It's something the left leaning media would rather forget but for those that aren't aware of how Labour really did sell the family silver (gold)

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/thomaspascoe/100018367/revealed-why-gordon-brown-sold-britains-gold-at-a-knock-down-price/

It's something the left leaning media would rather forget but for those that aren't aware of how Labour really did sell the family silver (gold)

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/thomaspascoe/100018367/revealed-why-gordon-brown-sold-britains-gold-at-a-knock-down-price/

Faced with the prospect of a global collapse in the banking system, the Chancellor took the decision to bail out the banks by dumping Britain’s gold, forcing the price down and allowing the banks to buy back gold at a profit, thus meeting their borrowing obligations.

I spoke with Peter Hambro, chairman of Petroplavosk and a leading figure in the London gold market, late last year and asked him about the rumours above.

“I think that Mr Brown found himself in a terrible position,” he said.

“He was facing a problem that was a world scale problem where a number of financial institutions had become voluntarily short of gold to the extent that it was threatening the stability of the financial system and it was obvious that something had to be done.”

Faced with the prospect of a global collapse in the banking system, the Chancellor took the decision to bail out the banks by dumping Britain’s gold, forcing the price down and allowing the banks to buy back gold at a profit, thus meeting their borrowing obligations.

I spoke with Peter Hambro, chairman of Petroplavosk and a leading figure in the London gold market, late last year and asked him about the rumours above.

“I think that Mr Brown found himself in a terrible position,” he said.

“He was facing a problem that was a world scale problem where a number of financial institutions had become voluntarily short of gold to the extent that it was threatening the stability of the financial system and it was obvious that something had to be done.”

Not quite sure where that article is from as you haven't quoted the source but Brown sold off most of our reserves in 2002 so totally irrelevant to his bailing out the banks. Edited by Boby Brno

• Site Supporter

Not true. It's one of the few things I can pontificate about with a fair bit of knowledge.

Disclaimer: I'm usually just winging it in most debates. ;)

Assuming you're right, which you're not, then she came along and made sure the corpse had stopped twitching.

I was perhaps being previous. I recall many fires in many cotton mills but I'm fairly sure they were all on their last legs due to cheaper foreign imports.

You could make any mine fail, just flood it with men from other pits and spend millions over budget and it just carries on like a domino effect until they are all shut down. The nuclear energy subsidy was never a problem, x amounts just chucked at them. We ship most of our coal from abroad and rely on offshore windmills to get our lecky. Just spiteful vindictive action against a coal industry what was meeting targets and now we are paying the price for the wanton destruction of our proud  industry.

Remind the class how many pits were closed by the reds before the Tories got in

Exhausted pits were never fought against when they closed, in my lifetime the miners only went on strike three times. It was just a case of revenge from Thatcher to kill off the unions once and for all.

• Members

We can argue about this for ever. Those who hated her will never change and those who loved her (me included) will also never change.

Love her or hate her, you have to concede that she certainly left her mark on the pages of history. 

Many of us believe that if she had not come along when she did, Britain would be totally and utterly fucked by now.

Fondly remembered here and, no doubt, grudgingly remembered by the 'ding dong the witch is dead' rabble.

Lets not forget Labour are the party of the people, standing up for ordinary working folk up and down the country.

That's why they abolished the 10p tax band and MIRAS meaning if you were a low paid or/and a homeowner you ended up paying more in tax. Add to this a 10% hike in National Insurance, and 70% increases in council tax and yeah, they were bang on the mark looking after the working masses.

The only people to benefit were the bone idle as benefit payments soared, so Mr & Mrs Joe Public worked their arses off paying more and more for folk to sit at home watching Jeremy Kyle. But its the party of the people, don't forget.

If they got the next gig would scrap married persons tax relief, further hitting Joe and his wife. But hey, there's plenty on here fucking brainwashed enough to forget or ignore these things.

They proper took the piss out of the working classes when they were in power, but if you don't look you don't find.

I wouldn't let them run a fucking bath. Trouble is, I've fuck all faith in Cameron and his mates either!