Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

New Manager

Take Hunt Off

I read that section of his book whilst browsing the sports section in WH smiths at Manchester Airport.

It was a Neville brothers diary type thing.

Chapter was Bolton away. First game at reebok against them.

He said the Munich stuff already started before they even got off the coach and it carried on all the way through the game.

He said we were a sick set of supporters and hated any time we played them as the abuse was so vile.

Or something like that haha

Absolutely fantastic.

Gary Caldwell evens favourite with skybet, that came from leftfield.

By virtue of that crap April Fool's on Burnden Aces which began as John Carver and then got changed to Gary Caldwell at about half 9.

The thing is with April Fool's - they're supposed to be wildly implausible, thereby making you look 'a fool' when you fall for it. Both Carver and Caldwell are sadly plausible.

If they'd said Mourhino or something that would be different!

I know this won't happen but I'm posting it anyway. Genuinely dont want Phillips to get the job on the basis that he's been an absolute servant to the club. I'd hate to see him leave under a sacking situation.

I know this won't happen but I'm posting it anyway. Genuinely dont want Phillips to get the job on the basis that he's been an absolute servant to the club. I'd hate to see him leave under a sacking situation.

I'm led to believe he doesn't want it for that very reason

I was in a pub up in the ribble valley and was suprised to see Wanderers stuff on the wall, turns out its JP's brothers place

The lad who served us said JP didn't fancy it

Would be happy with Browny and Jules.

McGinlay as chief scout? Not for me Fudge.

It's a key position and bad recruitment is the main reason we are in the mire.

Only time McGinlay has done that was for Coyle at that place past Howfen.

He certainly likes touting himself for a role on't radio though.

Loved him as player but no room for sentiment in our current plight.

• Site Supporter

Unheard yesterday that Carver has had a "chat" about the job.

When NL, DF, OC were appointed think the majority were happy. Megson was hated before he started but has been the most successful of the last batch.

Carver has that Megson feel about it, no association with the club, no one really likes the "feel" of it. Maybe it's what we need.

PS fwiw, I don't really want to see Brown or Phillips in charge

Edited by Ratwhite

• Site Supporter

Unheard yesterday that Carver has had a "chat" about the job.

When NL, DF, OC were appointed think the majority were happy. Megson was hated before he started but has been the most successful of the last batch.

Carver has that Megson feel about it, no association with the club, no one really likes the "feel" of it. Maybe it's what we need.

PS fwiw, I don't really want to see Brown or Phillips in charge

Agreed.

We need a right bastard but also someone we don't feel we have to like from the off.

Don't know who the Northampton manager is but I'd go and get him - he's worked miracles there and I think we'd still have the appeal to drag him to us.

Edit - Chris Wilder. His record looks good for the lower leagues.

Edited by Spider

Phil Brown with Julian Darby as assistant manager.

McGinlay as Chief Scout.

If Brownie does come, I reckon he would bring in his chief scout at Southend, Bob Shaw, they have worked together for many years.

http://www.echo-news.co.uk/sport/blues/10464381.Southend_United_set_to_sign_Bob_Shaw_for_scout_job/

Edited by Blondi

Agreed.

We need a right bastard but also someone we don't feel we have to like from the off.

Don't know who the Northampton manager is but I'd go and get him - he's worked miracles there and I think we'd still have the appeal to drag him to us.

Edit - Chris Wilder. His record looks good for the lower leagues.

I don't think we need a right bastard we need a manager who can man manage, put arm round them if needed and strong when needed. I think Browny can do that, we also need strong discipline and work ethic. I'm happy with Browny and he'll get the time needed to begin what will be a long haul back. Edited by Mounts Kipper

Saying we need a right bastard is as ridiculous as only coveting Managers that have some sort of connection with the club, with some whimsical view that somehow this makes them better.

We need a good man Manager; they can be both bastards and put the arm around (when the time is appropriate either way)...this isn't Carver; he's just a great coach.

But we also need decent Tactics, coaching and a Decent recruitment policy / network in the bargain basement.

For me the icing on top would be a "progressive" Manager....but maybe that needs to be the appointment after this one?

Edited by jules_darby