Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Elite Posters Music Thread

Spider

Classic albums.....

Right I've been doing a bit of listening to classic albums that either have passed me by or only listened to a few times. I'm going by the rationale that the whole album is outstanding not just one or two songs, is generally considered to be a classic of its genre (so it doesn't have to have sold by the bucketload) but changed that type of music or had a vast influence on other musicians as wwell, was a game changer etc Wondered what people's selections where? Underrated albums that did nowt for anyone but you and your mates when you were 14 don't count.

Currently listening to The Flying Burrito Brother's The Gilded Palace of Sin, its a belter - but then I love Gram Parsons, and I can't believe I've never listened to Suicide much before either.

Edited by Not in Crawley

1 minute ago, Zico said:

the new Hives album is good

I know plenty of their singles, but never took it any futher

they are meant to be good live

and touring next year, £40 at the Academy

might have to get down there

Mrs loves them - says they are great live, can't say they've ever done much for me but will give this a listen.

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Classic albums.....

Right I've been doing a bit of listening to classic albums that either have passed me by or only listened to a few times. I'm going by the rationale that the whole album is outstanding not just one or two songs, is generally considered to be a classic of its genre (so it doesn't have to have sold by the bucketload) but changed that type of music or had a vast influence on other musicians as wwell, was a game changer etc Wondered what people's selections where? Underrated albums that did nowt for anyone but you and your mates when you were 14 don't count.

Currently listening to The Flying Burrito Brother's The Gilded Palace of Sin, its a belter - but then I love Gram Parsons, and I can't believe I've never listened to Suicide much before either.

giphy.gif

6 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Can almost guarantee you'll shit on anything anyone suggests...

Oh, I see.

I think that's more of a myth than a reality. If I don't like something, its only my opinion, doesn't affect anyone else's love of it.

And I'd never say I don't like something if I've never heard it. Love being convinced otherwise, I've got a mate who writes pop biogs - Daryl Eastlea - what that man doesn't know about pop music, even had me rhapsodising about the value of The Black Eyed Peas 😀 he has yet to change my mind about Abba like. His new book on Slade should be good though, been actually listening to their albums rather than just the singles - so much more than I thought to the band.

I still have an issue with Kraftwerk though as my mrs' Ex wrote the one of the definative biogs about them, and still annoys me.

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

This Is The Story by The Proclaimers is an oft overlooked classic LP, could possibly put up an argument that one track is a bit fillerish but it could be countered.

I like them as well 

Not at the time, too young, they weren't cool, it wasn't my scene 

But last few years enjoyed the best of on Spotify on multiple occasions 

I'm On My Way is there best track for me

1 hour ago, ErnestTurnip said:

This Is The Story by The Proclaimers is an oft overlooked classic LP, could possibly put up an argument that one track is a bit fillerish but it could be countered.

Good shout. That album and them always remind me of my mum going to Uni as a mature student. This and then First of A Thousand Kisses by Fairground Attraction which she always played when her fellow students came round.

Not much take up with the classic LP and I don't want to be shouting at the moon but I'll throw in Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes which is 40 years old this year and which ticks all the boxes.

Slight tangent but NIC did get me thinking along the lines of inheritance tracks and I've not decided which LP I would force everyone to listen to if I could make it happen for one LP.

If you've got to choose one what is it?

On 13/11/2023 at 16:37, Not in Crawley said:

Classic albums.....

You have to be making some of these up

10 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

You have to be making some of these up

One of the legendary bands of Americana? You must of heard of The Byrds? Gram Parsons? He formed the Flyring Burrito Brothers after leaving the Byrds. One of Dylans favourite bands. You might know Hot Burrito #1 - it's pretty famous.

18 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

One of the legendary bands of Americana? You must of heard of The Byrds? Gram Parsons? He formed the Flyring Burrito Brothers after leaving the Byrds. One of Dylans favourite bands. You might know Hot Burrito #1 - it's pretty famous.

I've certainly heard of The Byrds and, now you mention they were Bob Dylan's favourite band, the name of the band does ring a bell

Mannequin Pussy and The Flying Burrito Brothers, phenomenal

7 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I've certainly heard of The Byrds and, now you mention they were Bob Dylan's favourite band, the name of the band does ring a bell

Mannequin Pussy and The Flying Burrito Brothers, phenomenal

Got to love an inventive name!

One of my favourite bands (and not because of the name but obviously helps) is King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - who I'm a bit giddy about as they are playing the Wide Awake Festival in Brockwell Park next summer which is only 5 stops on the train. Feels like they are going to be playing in my back garden. Very excited.